Did anyone really notice a change | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did anyone really notice a change

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
When Chan left and the 2 seasons that followed under Norv? It was the same vanilla offense that was very predictable, and seemed to always miss the right play call. That makes me think that Dave had more to do with our lack of sucsess under each OC than they did. I think I have missed 1 game in the past 4 years, and besides maybee 1 or 2 more deep passes the offenses were just about exactly alike. Maybee Dan will help our next OC from being tied down by Dave's "don't lose the game" mantality, and we can get a guy that tries to win the games instead.

You know what Dajesus, I have thought the same thing about the similarity between the two OCs, I never tied the two into Dave being the common denominiator but with all the rumblings that Dave has been limiting Norv, there could be some validity to your point. If so we could hire Pee Wee Herman to be our OC and expect the same results :-(

The one thing that did change was the use of the TE & FB. Norv got them the ball a lot more than Chan did. Other than that nothing really changed.

I noticed a change. the offense was better under chan than it was under norv. chan was working with mediocre talent, but was much more imaginative than norv was with superior talent. what happened to the wr screen, the offtackle with the end around coming off of it, 5 wr sets, bottlegs, etc? one more change i noticed: chan's offense was enough to get in the playoffs, norv's was not.

I actually think Fiedler was holding him down. I like him as a field general, but his physical shortcomings held back the offenses progress.

Originally posted by SkapePhin
I actually think Fiedler was holding him down. I like him as a field general, but his physical shortcomings held back the offenses progress.
true, but chan worked around his weaknesses, it was like norv didn't even try, it was his way or no way.

Originally posted by Dajesus
When Chan left and the 2 seasons that followed under Norv? It was the same vanilla offense that was very predictable, and seemed to always miss the right play call. That makes me think that Dave had more to do with our lack of sucsess under each OC than they did. I think I have missed 1 game in the past 4 years, and besides maybee 1 or 2 more deep passes the offenses were just about exactly alike. Maybee Dan will help our next OC from being tied down by Dave's "don't lose the game" mantality, and we can get a guy that tries to win the games instead.

Wannstedt is the common denominator in it all. i do get tired of saying that it won't make alot of difference what we do as long as Dave is here.

Yeah,
I bet DW has been holding back the OCs.
Now though, with Dan, things will change.
Time to win games this year!

Chan was more predictable than Norv. Chan never used the TE and FB in the passing game, while Norv did. Norv was predictable in many games in 2003, but not as predictable as Chan. Norv was definitely a huge improvement over Chan Gailey, who was an awful OC.

Norv didn't do a great job here, but I think Wanny was holding him back. Norv is a better OC than Gailey.

it doesn't matter who was better. We didn't win with either one and now they're both gone anyway. We spent too much time talking about the past that hasn't worked in 31 years. Time to move on.

Ozzy rules!!

Chan's offense fit Fiedler better.
Chan had a better OL.
Chan used his TE and FB exclusively as blockers.

Norv's OLs sucked.
Norv's offense did not fit with Fiedler
Norv used the TE and FB alot more.

IMO, Norv's offense is superior. But Chan got more out of Fiedler and had a better OL. That said, Norv made Fiedler a better QB overall.

Either way, we're moving forward.

Originally posted by MNFINFAN
You know what Dajesus, I have thought the same thing about the similarity between the two OCs, I never tied the two into Dave being the common denominiator but with all the rumblings that Dave has been limiting Norv, there could be some validity to your point. If so we could hire Pee Wee Herman to be our OC and expect the same results :-(

A good indicator of this, would be how many delay of game penalties we had.

Does anyone remember if we had an abnormal amount?

Originally posted by themole

A good indicator of this, would be how many delay of game penalties we had.

Does anyone remember if we had an abnormal amount?

i don't know about delay of games, but both teams always shot them selves in the foot with stupid penalties, and turnovers.

Originally posted by Dajesus

i don't know about delay of games, but both teams always shot them selves in the foot with stupid penalties, and turnovers.

Stupid penalites is an indicater of poor coaching or low IQ on the players behalf. I doubt it's an IQ problem, as I have seen many HS teams play penalty free ball.

On the other hand, delay of game penalties could indicate conflict between HC and OC, resulting in running out of time to get the play off.

After thirtyeight years of Miami Dolphins football, I've become a casual fan and don't get to caught up in the intricacies of the game.

I still LOVE the Phins, but realize that I shouldn't allow how they perform run my BP up.:D

I saw a major shift in philosophy.

Chan needed an athletic QB. He would spread things out and then run a QB draw.

Chan got the ball more to the WR's. He loved to hit the WR's quick at the line of scrimmage or the quick slant/WR screen.

Norvis got the ball to the TE in the middle of the field.
Norvis called more screens to RB/FB.
Norvis ...the RB was the central playmaker.

Both were run first systems. Norvs system should pass the ball a touch more. Gailey's system will pound it out and then spread you thin.

Chans system spread the ball evenly to the top 3 WR's. Norvs system relies heavily on the #1 WR being the playmaker in the passing game.

Back
Top Bottom