Did Saban have an influence on Brady picked in the 6th? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Saban have an influence on Brady picked in the 6th?

feelthepain

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I would love to know what Saban thought's were on Brady before the draft when the Pats took him in the sixth. I wonder if Saban and BB had talks about Bardy and if he would have made a good choice in the 6th rd. If anyone has any info or you can remember how things came about for the Pats and the brady pick I'd love to hear them. If Saban can see the talent in Brady then his ability to evaluate this years crop might give us an idea of what he thinks of this years crop of QB's and we can gage their abilitys a little better, at least hypotheticaly.

I don't think any of us knew how much Saban and BB communicated until Saban said yes to coming here..Our knowledge of Saban started then..

MDFINFAN said:
I don't think any of us knew how much Saban and BB communicated until Saban said yes to coming here..Our knowledge of Saban started then..

I agree, but knowing what we know now,wouldn't it be something if Saban was fully behind the Brady choice? I would love to know what transpired between the two coaches prior to the draft.

Well, how much knowledge of Brady did Saban have? Did he ever play against Michigan? Wasnt Saban at Michigan State when Brady started College? Did Saban try to recruit Brady? Now if you get the answers to those questions, its possible Saban might have given his insight to BB about him.. But I dont think he had enough knowledge of Brady.

Saban coached against Brady while Brady was at Michigan.

SkapePhin said:
Well, how much knowledge of Brady did Saban have? Did he ever play against Michigan? Wasnt Saban at Michigan State when Brady started College? Did Saban try to recruit Brady? Now if you get the answers to those questions, its possible Saban might have given his insight to BB about him.. But I dont think he had enough knowledge of Brady.

This is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. I think Saban had to have some knowledge of Brady and an opinion of him. Tht opinion is what I'm looking for. I think it would help us understand to some degree Sabans thinking and where he places the most value on players ability. I think If he had a high opinon of Brady then that would tell us he has the ability to see things others don't. It's hard to imagine,"now" how Brady lasted so long so that tells me neither coach was overly thrilled with him but maybe there was a reason why they waited till the 6th...who knows. This is could be very interesting if we can get someone that has a knowledge of that draft to let us know what the opinons where. I'm sure someone knows something.

In the book "Patriot Reign", author Michael Holley says the Pats were torn between Brady and Louisiana Tech quarterback Tim Rattay in the 6th round that year. Belichick credits former QB coach Dick Rehbein for "going to bat" for Brady minutes before the pick was made.

Honestly Tim Rattay would probably "be" Brady right now, they are both smart Qb's, neither has a great arm, but NE system is great, thats why they succeed.

And..Brady wouldn't even be Brady if Bledsoe didn't get hurt.

feelthepain said:
This is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. I think Saban had to have some knowledge of Brady and an opinion of him. Tht opinion is what I'm looking for. I think it would help us understand to some degree Sabans thinking and where he places the most value on players ability. I think If he had a high opinon of Brady then that would tell us he has the ability to see things others don't. It's hard to imagine,"now" how Brady lasted so long so that tells me neither coach was overly thrilled with him but maybe there was a reason why they waited till the 6th...who knows. This is could be very interesting if we can get someone that has a knowledge of that draft to let us know what the opinons where. I'm sure someone knows something.

Well Saban and BB worked together in the blue print for every position, so maybe Saban had nothing to do in the Brady signing but he knew that a Brady modeled QB could be succesful in the NFL, somehow he definately did have something to do with it, and with every other player the Patsies draft or sign.
And in the Q? about why did they wait until the sixth, its ovbouis, they knew nobody else liked him.

feelthepain said:
I agree, but knowing what we know now,wouldn't it be something if Saban was fully behind the Brady choice? I would love to know what transpired between the two coaches prior to the draft.

I highly doubt Saban would have been fully behind the choice if he had any input on Brady at all

Gator Mike said:
In the book "Patriot Reign", author Michael Holley says the Pats were torn between Brady and Louisiana Tech quarterback Tim Rattay in the 6th round that year. Belichick credits former QB coach Dick Rehbein for "going to bat" for Brady minutes before the pick was made.

I think Rattay would have had similar success in NE as Brady has had. I think they could have gone either way and ended up with a franchise QB. Thanks for the info, it doesn't count Saban out of the equation but it does give us an idea about how the deal went down.

DonShula84 said:
I highly doubt Saban would have been fully behind the choice if he had any input on Brady at all

Why? If Saban thought Brady had potential why would he not be behind it fully? When friends talk ideas are thrown around. It just so happens that Saban and BB happen to be high profile football caoches with an eye for talent. It's not a stretch to think the two men talked and opinions were exchanged.

feelthepain said:
I would love to know what Saban thought's were on Brady before the draft when the Pats took him in the sixth. I wonder if Saban and BB had talks about Bardy and if he would have made a good choice in the 6th rd. If anyone has any info or you can remember how things came about for the Pats and the brady pick I'd love to hear them. If Saban can see the talent in Brady then his ability to evaluate this years crop might give us an idea of what he thinks of this years crop of QB's and we can gage their abilitys a little better, at least hypotheticaly.

Saban and BB have been friends for nearly their entire coaching careers. They made a habit of spending the offseasons together talking football. Personnally, if Saban was pimping Brady, I don't think the Pats would have waited until the 6th round. Case in point of when the Pats made a trade to move up in the 4th round so as to select LSU QB Rohan Davey. There is no doubt in my mind that Saban and BB discussed a lot of the Big Ten talent - including Brady, but if they decided that Brady was 6th round talent, then I doubt either realized how successful he would eventually become. Of course QB was not that pressing since Bledsoe still holding the reigns and still considered a good QB at the time. The 5th-7th rounds are still those rounds to find those "diamonds in the rough". And there are more "misses" that "hits".

feelthepain said:
I think Rattay would have had similar success in NE as Brady has had. I think they could have gone either way and ended up with a franchise QB. Thanks for the info, it doesn't count Saban out of the equation but it does give us an idea about how the deal went down.

There is absolutely no way Rattay matches Brady's production in New England. Rattay is a back up quarterback, nothing more.

I had Tom Brady as the 2nd best quarterback in that draft.

SkapePhin said:

not to mention that he probably saw a lot of brady on tv living in michigan.

Back
Top Bottom