Did Val Pinchbeck Jr. hate the Dolphins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Val Pinchbeck Jr. hate the Dolphins?

Originally posted by inFINSible
The person in charge of the NFL schedule-making, Val Pinchbeck Jr., 73, died March 6 outside the NFL offices in Manhattan and, while much of the preliminary work had already been done, his successors were scrambling to make a schedule that fit using the formula already in place.

I don't mean any direspect but, could this have had anything to do with the most favorable schedule since 1970??

Wayne had connections to the "garbage" business in NY.
Does Wayne have an alibi?

Posted on Sun, Sep. 21, 2003
DOLPHINS SPOTLIGHT
Don't blame the schedule maker
BY JASON COLE

Aside from the usual complaints about the seemingly annual trips to Buffalo and New England in December, Dolphins fans have wondered whether the league has it out for Miami this season. ....

True, but don't blame the schedule makers. At least one of them is a big Dolphins fan.

Irv Lustig, the manager of technical services at ILOG in New Jersey, was one of the people who helped devise the computer program the NFL used this season to come up with the many schedules it examined.

Lustig grew up in Miami, and his family had season tickets. To this day, he gathers with fellow Dolphins fans on Sundays at a bar in New Jersey to watch his team.

''The way it was set up, this is about as good as they could have had it, and I really mean that,'' said Lustig, who has heard plenty of the annual complaints. ....

The problem is the league put an emphasis on having three division games in the second half of the season and liked the idea of having so many in December, Lustig said.

The hope is the schedule creates an exciting finish to the season.
Lustig said he couldn't bring himself to tweak the schedule in the Dolphins' favor.

''No, but I was really happy when they didn't have three games in 13 days like they did the past couple of years,'' Lustig said.

At least Lustig can be happy with his work, which created nearly 400,000 options for the league to examine as it made the full transition from its old pegboard system to full computerization.

As Lustig told Bloomberg News Service: ``I stood in the same room when [NFL commissioner] Paul Tagliabue said this was the best schedule they've ever had. That makes me feel very proud.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6824153.htm

''The way it was set up, this is about as good as they could have had it, and I really mean that,'' said Lustig, who has heard plenty of the annual complaints. ....

The problem is the league put an emphasis on having three division games in the second half of the season and liked the idea of having so many in December, Lustig said.

The hope is the schedule creates an exciting finish to the season.
Lustig said he couldn't bring himself to tweak the schedule in the Dolphins' favor.

Are you trying to tell me Irv Lustig died too?? :huh:

This was from last year, you know??

:confused:

No, I think he is saying that if it wasn't for Lustig, we'd be playing the Pats, Bills, Jets, and whoever won the Super Bowl the year before in their house the last four games of the season with as few days in between as possible. Lustig controlled Val's hatred for the Phins. :lol:

Are you trying to tell me Irv Lustig died too?? :huh:

This was from last year, you know??

:confused:

No, I don't think Lustig died.

Yes this is from last year showing that the schedule was computized last year.

I am just giving you some additional facts.

I don't think the death of Val Pinchbeck Jr had anything thing to do with the schedule finally turning around in our favor. We were overdue for the change and that does not make it one man's fault. :splat:

Originally posted by Merman

No, I don't think Lustig died.

Yes this is from last year showing that the schedule was computized last year.

I am just giving you some additional facts.

I don't think the death of Val Pinchbeck Jr had anything thing to do with the schedule finally turning around in our favor. We were overdue for the change and that does not make it one man's fault. :splat:
I actually predicted a favorable schedule based on that exact sentiment before I ever found out about Pinchbecks' death....:D

This was all sorta tongue in cheek anyway...;)

One question though....I just thought of this....if the scheduling system is all computerized and it's all a matter of feeding information into it and letting the chips fall where they may....What are the odds of us being matched up against the Pats in the same game that they are threatening an NFL record?

That sure is a lucky ratings bonanza, wouldn't you say?

This was all sorta tongue in cheek anyway...:)

One question though....I just thought of this....if the scheduling system is all computerized and it's all a matter of feeding information into it and letting the chips fall where they may....What are the odds of us being matched up against the Pats in the same game that they are threatening an NFL record?

That sure is a lucky ratings bonanza, wouldn't you say?

Yea, I got that it was sorta tougue in cheek or I wouldn't have posted to the thread. ;)

About that luck picking the Pats game, don't believe it. To quote the article.

At least Lustig can be happy with his work, which created nearly 400,000 options for the league to examine as it made the full transition from its old pegboard system to full computerization. :googly:

I don't think picking the schedule is inconsistent with not blaming one man. The NFL's decisions are usually a consensus. They just had to give us the home games in December to have us play the Pats game sandwiched with the Jets and Bills. :lol:

Lets just hope that the pendulum has swung for the next five years with the December division games at home. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom