Ditka On Ricki Williams... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ditka On Ricki Williams...

DolFinatic718

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
10a. Will Ricky Williams ever prove that he's worth six draft picks?

Listen, he's already proved it. In fact, who does he have to prove it to? The media? C'mon. Who does he have to prove it to? Some general manager of another team or some coach of another team because they didn't agree with the move that was made? The move we made was a good move because we needed Ricky Williams and we didn't need all of those draft picks. And as a result, when we left New Orleans, we left them with a pretty good situation salary-cap wise and with a hell of a football player.

Now, the football-player end of it didn't work out because of the new people that came in. Fine. He's working out very well in Miami. He's a good football player. He's a Heisman Trophy winner. He would've gained . . . I think he would've been right at or near 2,000 yards last year if they (the Dolphins) wouldn't have gotten behind in two football games. That's my opinion. You run him behind a good football team, you're going to gain yardage.

------------------------------------------------------
WHAT A DUMB AZZ QUESTION, RICKY HAS PROVEN BEYOND A REASONAL DOUBT HE IS WORTH EVERY PICK IN A DRAFT.

Every time Ricky carries the ball in Miami, Ditka is being vindicated.

Still, I just wish hed shut his mouth about the whole fiasco. Even if he is worth it, the whole story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ditka was one of the worst things to happen to Ricky's carreer. It saddens me that Ditka still doesnt get it.

Ditka does get it. Ricky is now proving that he did the right thing. They asked Ditka the question, and he answered. What was he supposed to say, "no comment?"

Originally posted by Surferosa
Still, I just wish hed shut his mouth about the whole fiasco. Even if he is worth it, the whole story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ditka was one of the worst things to happen to Ricky's carreer. It saddens me that Ditka still doesnt get it.

Maybe he'd shut his mouth about it, if the media would quit questioning him about it. Face it, he was right.

Haslet f&cked Rocki in New Orleans, just like he's f$cked with so many other stars there. Nobody wants to play in New Orleans if they want any chance at all of a Super Bowl. It's the biggest party city in the US. New Orleans has what 1 or 2 playoff wins in their entire existence?? What does that tell you, they suck, and the people that run that team suck.

Originally posted by chambers84
Haslet f&cked Rocki in New Orleans, just like he's f$cked with so many other stars there. Nobody wants to play in New Orleans if they want any chance at all of a Super Bowl. It's the biggest party city in the US. New Orleans has what 1 or 2 playoff wins in their entire existence?? What does that tell you, they suck, and the people that run that team suck.

New Orleans could have been really good if they kept guys like Joe Johnson, but now their defense is garbage. Their offense is good though, and being a party city has nothing to do with anything. Miami is a big party city as well.

Originally posted by fairbanksb

Maybe he'd shut his mouth about it, if the media would quit questioning him about it. Face it, he was right.

A) He wasnt right.

B) The media will never stop questioning him about it because thats their job. Ditka can either take the high rode for once and let the story die, or he can perpetuate the story with "I told you sos". Ditka hyped Ricky way too much, and continues to do so just to save his own fleeting reputation. The man is a moron.

Whether you agree with Ditka or not, he is the reason we have Ricky. Had he not traded all those draft picks to move up. Ricky goes to another team without all the pressure of all those draft picks being dealt for him. He probably shines their under different management and is never in a position to be traded. So thank you Mike Ditka, whether you were wrong or right, you helped us out!

I don't see how you can call the man a moron? He won the SB in 85 with what was one of the best "Ds" ever. He made a decision about what he thought Ricky was capable of and for that you call him a moron??? Come on Ricky led the league last year, didn't he. I guess that makes him right after all. He didn't have the money to sign all those other picks and he got Ricky at a BARGAIN. Seems to me like he was pretty smart.

Originally posted by Surferosa

A) He wasnt right.

B) The media will never stop questioning him about it because thats their job. Ditka can either take the high rode for once and let the story die, or he can perpetuate the story with "I told you sos". Ditka hyped Ricky way too much, and continues to do so just to save his own fleeting reputation. The man is a moron.

He was right but Ricky couldn't stay healthy.

Ditka's biggest mistake was that he forgot what type of field the Saint's played on.

Ricky's bruising big back style doesn't fit well on turf and allmost guarenteed that he'd be injured. (Even if they were fluke injuries, turf related ones woulda bit him if that broken bone hadn't)

If the Saints were a Natural grass team and the Saint's owner would have shown some patience, then Ricky would be tearing off 1800 yard season for Ditka right now instead of us.

Ditka made a shrewd move, but didn't count on how many stars were out of alignment for him and it bit him in the butt. But from a pure value and football standpoint, it was pure geneous.

Guys that trade was actually great. Ditka's mistake (and this was the whole front offices problem) is that they didn't realize the problems Ricky had mentally and got that dealt with. He could have been a much better runner with New Orleans had they recognized and dealt with it instead of letting Ricky eventually figure it out on his own.

Here are the picks that were made with the draft choices for Miller (some of these picks got retraded but you go with the original spot picks)

1-12-1999 Chicago Bears QB Cade McNown
3-71-1999 Chicago Bears WR D'Wayne Bates
4-107-1999 Washington Redskins LB Nate Stimson
5-144-1999 Chicago Bears LB Khari Samuel
6-179-1999 Denver Broncos TE Desmond Clark
7-218-1999 Denver Broncos WR Billy Miller
1-2-2000 Washington Redskins LB La'Var Arrington
3-64-2000 Washington Redskins DB Lloyd Harrison

Only one of these players is still with the team that picked him, LB Arrington. Nate Stimson never played. Cade was a bust. Samuel has bounced around the league and never been much of anything. Clark while a talented tight end has never been used properly except in one season with Denver. Miller was a bust. Harrison has also bounced around the league.

Not to mention that first rounder Ditka traded came from the BIGGER scam of the 2 trades in that it was the Panthers pick they traded for DT Sean Gilbert who was a monumental bust in Carolina (DE Shaun Ellis was drafted with that 2nd pick the Panthers gave up)

So the real question comes down to is whether Williams is worth Arrington, Dez White and Clark (as the only 3 picks to really do anything whatsoever)? I think it was.

Originally posted by Samphin
Whether you agree with Ditka or not, he is the reason we have Ricky. Had he not traded all those draft picks to move up. Ricky goes to another team without all the pressure of all those draft picks being dealt for him. He probably shines their under different management and is never in a position to be traded. So thank you Mike Ditka, whether you were wrong or right, you helped us out!
i agree with you on this, if Ricky was in another team , i think he would have stayed there..

Back
Top Bottom