Dixon Talking Retirement...and It Really Could Happen. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dixon Talking Retirement...and It Really Could Happen.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just for the record....there has not been an official switch--regarding MARK DIXON to LT quite yet. The only thing that WANNY said was that...JAMIE NAILS has very much solidified his starting LG spot....with the first team offfense. NAILS is now #1...on the depth chart....he is ahead of DIXON...and rightfully so.....the guy has out-played DIXON...and even DIXON himself...as humble as he is....accepted this....as it was to him..."JAMIE was the better man....he earned it". DIXON knows that he is struggling....as he has admited that he is not the same. Yesterday.....he told some of the reporters......that he was really considering retirement. Does anybody really believe him?

I am beginning to think that he just may do it. I can tell you guys that DIXON also....is going through a DIVORCE. He also has two kids.....that he wants to spend more time with. I really believe that if he continues to struggle.....and if that knee really can;t come around the way he wants to.....then I can see where he may just say goodbye. This guy has a lot of pride....and a defined mental image....of what he or where he needs to be...to perform on the level where he once was...only a year or so ago. He says a lot of negative things about himself all the time....but in reality this time......even the coaches and the fans know......that...this time.....he is indeed telling it like he is saying it. MARK DIXON is struggling....he is nowhere near the form he once exhibited.....but again....there still is time. WANNY and WISE have said that DIXON is still getting the rust off...thats all. But with NAILS looking like a mortal lock to start now....does DIXON look at being a backup....or for that matter....being switched over to LT....does he really want to do this?

Its just my opinion....but I think if MARCUS SPRIGGS solidifies the LT spot by performing well....then you have a deal where DIXON is out literally....he is out of the starting OL. Then....he will probably be asked to work out at LT as well.....where he will have to compete with one of his best friends on this team....BRENT SMITH. If you ask DIXON personally.....he does not want to play LT. DIX would do it only....for the sake of the team. He really wanted to come back....strong that is....and play LG the way he had hoped. Right now he cant do the things he wants to at LG....so he probably right now would think that moving to LT...would be all but a joke right now..in itself.

All said.....the botttom line is that MARK DIXON is struggling....he is not even close to being ready to play at a high level. The knee is not responding the way that he had hoped. He is getting frustrated by the day about his situation...and even though there is some time for him to come around.......he may not want to wait that long.

I am very well aware about the way DIXON gets down on himself and the pessimistic way he views his self. But quite frankly......I think this time around....he is really not bluffing. I really think that if this knee does not come around within the next few weeks....then I really do think he will walk away from the game.....and go coach---like he says that he will do......coach Basketball on the high school level. Just like MARK McGWIRE did last year.....when he knew that he could not compete on the level that he wanted and was used to doing.....he decided to just walk away....he had to much pride to see himself play below a level which was to him....acceptable.

I see DIXON looking at his situation the same way.... his somber words right now.....are just the way it is. When he says to reporters...."I am considering retirement"......I don't think any one who heard him was writing to tell everyone....."just take DIXON's words with a grain of salt". DIXON's knee is holding him back.....the power and leverage.....DIXOn does not have it at this time to compete on a high level. His talk of retirement is sincerely valid......this time around.....you should all believe him....he is coming strictly from his heart.
DCH

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
Just for the record....there has not been an official switch--regarding MARK DIXON to LT quite yet. The only thing that WANNY said was that...JAMIE NAILS has very much solidified his starting LG spot....with the first team offfense. NAILS is now #1...on the depth chart....he is ahead of DIXON...and rightfully so.....the guy has out-played DIXON...and even DIXON himself...as humble as he is....accepted this....as it was to him..."JAMIE was the better man....he earned it". DIXON knows that he is struggling....as he has admited that he is not the same. Yesterday.....he told some of the reporters......that he was really considering retirement. Does anybody really believe him?

I don't think your info is correct. Dave said that Dixon is to hard on himself and Nails it starting because Dixon needs to rest his injured leg(from last year.) He also said that Dixon is still their guy. I would agree that it might not stay that way, but that is what Dave has said publicly.

Knee

Whats up with his knee?

I know he fractured his lower fibula and tore a couple of ligaments in his ankle. Does he now have knee problems DCH?

You're right Den it is his leg and ankle, not his knee. I doubt Spriggs plays well enough to be the starter. Smith didn't really do much wrong Monday.

Originally posted by DNY
You're right Den it is his leg and ankle, not his knee. I doubt Spriggs plays well enough to be the starter. Smith didn't really do much wrong Monday.

i think your looking at it from a different angle DNY. really. its not whether smith is not screwing up but rather the coaches are seeing the same things some of us are seeing. he is a step too slow form the injury. it is obvious to me. jevon kearse used brent smith! look, i think brent may be able to salvage himself here, but the injury to me is obvious that he is a bit slow. remember, coaches arent just looking to see if he holds up from his injury, they are looking to see if he can get back to preinjury form. he is not! these coaches have seen player after player after player. they know what the deal is! and it is obvious that he is a step slower! so is dixon. that is why i say go with spriggs who has been rested and let dixon and smith soak this in a little. if dixon retires, then smith will get another chance in a few weeks. i have a feeling like spriggs and Nails will shine!

Actually, I'm hoping Spriggs and Nails shine, because we need the left side to be solidified by the 3rd preseason game..If they are the strongest and are doing the best , they should be there..Spriggs played the 2nd half of the Buc's game...Must have done something right for the coaches to even consider him with the 1st string..I missed him Monday night..I thought the OL did better when the 1st unit went out..but I didn't know Spriggs was playing. Did any body see something Monday night that says Spriggs shouldn't start?

Yeah it was his ankle not knee... nt

Originally posted by Den54
Whats up with his knee?

I know he fractured his lower fibula and tore a couple of ligaments in his ankle. Does he now have knee problems DCH?

Yeah I didn't think it would be very likely that they'd actually use Dixon at LT in the 2nd preseason game if they didn't do so in the first. What is much more likely is if Spriggs struggles, Dixon starts practicing at LT and then he will have more than a week to get up to speed before we play Houston for our 3rd preseason game. Remember we're going to play it LIKE a regular season game in a lot of ways, and we're definitely going to have our starting lineup set, but it does not mean it counts. If we have the starting lineup set but we're still waiting for someone to get better from an injury or technique standpoint like we would be with Dixon at LT, then thats still ok and the coaches are prepared for that because its still 2 weeks until season starts. It doesn't COUNT until Detroit, however they want to use Houston as the game to get our guys use to playing like its a real game.

Back
Top Bottom