Do whatever it takes to get Luck | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do whatever it takes to get Luck

Phins Rock

Scout Team
Reaction score
I don't post on this board, but I thought I would throw this at you guys....

I thought about it all day today, and I'm now convinced. Miami needs to go up to number 2 or 3 with Cincy (if Carolina passes him up) to grab Luck.

I'm tired of settling for 2nd round QB's and going for quick fixes. We had a chance to get a bonified franchise QB in Matt Ryan in 2008 and we settled for Henne. Miami needs to go take a risk with a QB number 1. It's a lot of draft picks and if Luck does not pan out you set yourself back for years. I understand that. But are the Giants complaining about spending two 1st round picks on Eli? No. Would the Falcons accept a trade offer for Matt Ryan for 2, or even 3 or 4 first round picks? No. Come up with what it takes to get Luck and get him. Nobody will be complaining 5 years down the road.

I'm also convinced that Luck will pan out into a legit NFL QB. I never saw him play live, but from watching Luck play, and having seen some old games that re-air on the Network, the guy is a copy of John Elway with a little more athleticism. The throwing motion, arm strength, accuracy, smarts, passion, leadership...It's all there and all the same. Coincidentally Elway was the last Stanford QB taken in the first round (and I think the only one).

Top QB's do not pan out for 3 main reasons, from what I've researched:
1. Going into horrible situations (Joey Harrington, David Carr, Alex Smith, Akili Smith, etc.). I think that Miami has the pieces in place along the O-line to keep Luck up right, as well as some weapons on the outside and Defense to protect Luck early on in his career.

2. Character/smarts (JaMarcus Russel, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, etc.). Luck has Chad Pennington smarts and was an All-Pac Ten 1st academic team winner. Guy is a tremendous leader, hard worker and very smart...football, and otherwise.

3. Injuries (Chad Pennington, maybe Stafford) - Shoulder injuries especially. Luck has missed one game in his collegiate career due to an injury, and it was a broken finger...not exactly something that concerns me.

4. Poor mechanics (Brady Quinn) - Luck has a very good, over-the-top throwing motion and throws a great spiral. Has really good footwork, and his pocket presence is unbelievable. Best I've seen at either level...his biggest strength by far.

Luck will be a big time NFL QB. I'm positive. And while it's supposedly a crap-shoot, and hindsight is 20/20, you can see a lot of busts coming. I can't imagine Luck busts. He has all the tools.

I'm convinced that the pieces are in place for the right QB, and with a couple more acquisitions, we could have one of the most talented teams in the league. With a QB who was productive and efficient, we'd have no less than 8 wins right now.

I don't think that there is a single QB out there that I would draft in the first 2 rounds except for Luck. Mallett has 0 accuracy, is dumb as a pile of rocks, and has horrible decision making and technique all around. He gets away with it in college because of talent around him and a tremendous arm.
Newton is not as good an athlete or thrower as Vince Young, and plays in a VERY simple and basic offense at Auburn, much more so than VY ran at Texas. He's a project and I don't think has the smarts to be a top NFL QB. Above average, sure, with time. But nothing more.

There are some other names that people throw out there like Locker, but none of them come close to Luck. Not even close.

I don't care if you have to spend your entire 2011 draft and next year's first round pick to trade up. Don't care. He's worth it if he pans out, and I think he will. He also fits perfectly into the mold of the QB we're looking for....Big, strong, tough, accurate, smart. He's a pure pocket passer with incredible outside the pocket ability, and in the pocket mobility.

I'm tired of settling. Tired of looking for value. When you talk about QB's, screw value...throw it out the window. Go get the best guy available, and Luck is the best in a LONG time. Go get him. Nobody will be complaining about how much we spent 5 years from now.

Now, if Carolina is going to take him number 1...That's a different story. Not sure they would even want to trade out. Who knows, they might have faith in Clausen. We'll see. But if they pass him up, go get him...whether it's at 2 or 5, make the trade.

Right now, regarding how much it would take to trade up to number 2 or 3, I'll use the Jets as the mold. NY was at 17 and went up to 5. We'll likely be around 15 and have to go a similar number of slots up. Because it's 2 or 3, and not 5 and it's Luck and not Sanchez, it will take more.
NY gave up a 1st, 2nd and 3 role players. To make this deal, I think Miami would have to give up their 2011 first, 2012 first, a 2011 3rd and late round pick, and maybe a player.

Again, worth it.

I'm as pissed and frustrated as anybody regarding Henne. I didn't like him coming out of Michigan, but fell in love with him after MNF against NY. I feel like my girlfriend dumped me twice. But don't you see.....This has to be the last straw. Has to be...No more settling. Go get the best guy.
As mentioned on Phinfever Live! last night, most of the top QB's were top 10 picks. Only a couple were drafted outside of that. Let's go get one of those guys.

And so ends my rant....

Everyone here more than understands that Andrew Luck would be our best bet to get a qb. A real qb. But dude, we arent going to get him. Why? Cause almost every single team that would be positioned to get him, dont have a qb. And seeing as how we seem to be the only dumb ****, mouth breathing, window licking retard of a franchise, that doesnt seem to understand, that this league is won and lost by the qb position. Even the most inept teams will not pass up a star qb. Exept us. We arent getting Luck. No team who has a chance to get a qb, will pass on it. Unless they already have one, in which case they probably dont draft high enough to have a shot at Luck.

Good points. Really thought you made some good arguments with 4 main reasons. All seem to point to Luck being a good QB. 1 question. If you could trade Vontae, Long, Misi, Langford, and Wake for Luck would you do it. Because in all reality thats what it would take. This years and next years 1st plus 3 picks in the second to third round range. At least! Just interesting to look at it that way.

Back
Top Bottom