Do you think Matt Roth | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think Matt Roth

TGall13

Tagalager
Reaction score
will play linebacker for us? He started out as a linebacker in college then was moved to D End. He seems like a good candidate to maybe make the move because of his size and background. Also, Saban likes the big linebackers just like the Pats.
Any thoughts?

I think that Roth can play both DE and OLB. When we are at 4-3 he will play DE. When we play 3-4 he could play LB.

I think he will be moved around, much like Taylor - to force the defense into mismatches.

in college he was a linebacker before being switched to DE. i'd imagine he'll go back to LB, and carter and taylor will be the two starting DEs

When we go to 3-4 he will play rde and Taylor goes to strong olb

Im really confused on him, he isnt a great pass rusher, he doesnt have great athletic ability, and watching him play he is more of a run stopper, playing a run stopper as a 3-4 OLB with only 3 mammoths up front would not provide enough push in passing plays, I think we are staying with the hibrid 4-3 for a long time where he should fill great as a big presence at DE. Great motor. strong for 275 pounds, but doenst have the instincts or athletic ability for a 3-4 pass rusher.

Joey 22 said:
Im really confused on him, he isnt a great pass rusher, he doesnt have great athletic ability, and watching him play he is more of a run stopper, playing a run stopper as a 3-4 OLB with only 3 mammoths up front would not provide enough push in passing plays, I think we are staying with the hibrid 4-3 for a long time where he should fill great as a big presence at DE. Great motor. strong for 275 pounds, but doenst have the instincts or athletic ability for a 3-4 pass rusher.

he was considered the 3rd best pass rusher in the draft

we can mix it up all we want! thats what i like about saban. he likes to confuse offenses

Saban has a position that he uses called the OE end this is an outside end. I think ROth will play that. I also think that is why we have so many DE's this year.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
he was considered the 3rd best pass rusher in the draft

Ohhh come on he isnt neither fast or quik enough to be good outside pass rusher, he can be amazing with his mean streak and will to make the plays, his arms are amazingly built and are long, but he would not look good as a 3-4 outside LB since it would take him forever to get to the QB from so far away. His bets asset is man handling OTs, put him right infront of them.

Joey 22 said:

Matt Roth is a great pass rusher, and a great athlete. He was though an excellent run stopper. Something like 43 tackles for a loss at Iowa.

Back
Top Bottom