Do you think Saban will try to trade down? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think Saban will try to trade down?

MiamiDolphins34

Active Roster
Reaction score
[mod] Keep draft threads in the draft forum. [/mod]

I sure hope so.We could get 2 pretty good players.

DT Gabe Watson/Jason Allen or either Carpenter or Wimbley and Cromartie(doubt it) Darnell Bing

yeah i hope it also, but the question is who will be interested to trade for the #16 pick and which picks did we get for it, a 1st & 2nd round or a 1st & 3rd round pick?

i hope he does.... maybe one of the QBs that slips might be worth the trade up to 16 from other teams... and we could select manny lawson with a lower first rounder...

If he locks up a backup QB and LA or even Polley, I can see him trading down. However, if someone falls to 16 that we can use (Huff, Greenway, Sims, or even J. Williams) it would be hard for him to trade out...And if Leinart, Young or Cutler fall ?? Who knows right now...

IMO, yes he will. Given the way he was talking in the press conference recently and looking at who he picked last year (R B), I believe they're looking at DeMeco Ryans in the first round. Which he should fall into the 20's. He has lead on that he wants to build through the draft and seeing that our draft this year lacks a few rounds, I believe they're going to attempt to recoup a pick by dropping down and grabbing the guy they want anyway.

Shawn-l said:
IMO, yes he will. Given the way he was talking in the press conference recently and looking at who he picked last year (R B), I believe they're looking at DeMeco Ryans in the first round. Which he should fall into the 20's. He has lead on that he wants to build through the draft and seeing that our draft this year lacks a few rounds, I believe they're going to attempt to recoup a pick by dropping down and grabbing the guy they want anyway.

how ? what's the trade bait? I believe he WANTS to, but like last year, if we have no takers...or no value, we will pick at 16. He only has this "personal experience" edge for a few years and I would really like to see us be able to use it.

The easy answer to this one is -- who is left on the SABAN / MUELLER short list at # 16 ... [CK, KB and BOOMER]

If none are left ... then a trade down is likely ... but don't expect the Johnson mentality just to collect more draft picks.

The new mentality seems to be clearly value ... not quantity.

If we dont det Lavar, and Greenway was still available, I would like to see us draft him. Other than that I could see us trading down, if we can find a team willing to trade with us. Maybe if only one RB out of White and Williams were available, then Denver or Indy might trade up.

cnc66 said:
how ? what's the trade bait? I believe he WANTS to, but like last year, if we have no takers...or no value, we will pick at 16. He only has this "personal experience" edge for a few years and I would really like to see us be able to use it.

Trading up to the #2 pick is a whole LOT riskier than trading up to the 16th pick. There will be someone who falls to the middle of the round that some team will want badly, it happens practically every year. Who's it going to be? Hlati Ngata, Vince Young, Jimmy Williams, Tye Hill, Chad Jackson? Who knows? But it will happen and I don't believe Miami will ask for much in return (either 2nd, 3rd, or a 4th combined with a 5th).

Shawn-l said:
Trading up to the #2 pick is a whole LOT riskier than trading up to the 16th pick. There will be someone who falls to the middle of the round that some team will want badly, it happens practically every year. Who's it going to be? Hlati Ngata, Vince Young, Jimmy Williams, Tye Hill, Chad Jackson? Who knows? But it will happen and I don't believe Miami will ask for much in return (either 2nd, 3rd, or a 4th combined with a 5th).

Ima hopin' you are right. I still wonder if Denver made any overtures to us and we were too expensive.

I would like to see it happen. If only to pick up later picks. CNC66 said he has "personal Experience" with some of the players, I agree. I think Nick can find great value in players in the later rounds, problem is we need to find a way to get more picks to do this. Trading down is the best option at this point. But if no-one wants that pick then we take the BPA.

I think there is a real chance that teams like the Jags or Colts will want to trade up and be sure they get one of the best RBs in the draft. It will depend on what they to offer Nick. I also could see the Steelers looking to move up for a power runner like White and they have just been given more ammo to move up with, their newly acquired Comp picks. They could give there 2nd and both comp picks and still make out like bandits. It really depends on how the draft board falls. If another rb is taken in the top 15 then the sweat will start on the foreheads of the jags, colts, and steelers gms. All three of these teams are only missing a top rb and they will want one, IMO

Back
Top Bottom