Do you think we'll be able to add JR Toliver to this list? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think we'll be able to add JR Toliver to this list?

I noticed something.....look at how many of those picks are known for their work ethic or maturity or heart......almost every single one of them!.....

And that just happens to be the resume of nearly every draft pick that Wannspiel plucked this year.:D

Originally posted by inFINSible
I noticed something.....look at how many of those picks are known for their work ethic or maturity or heart......almost every single one of them!.....

And that just happens to be the resume of nearly every draft pick that Wannspiel plucked this year.:D

haha You beat me to it. I was on the same track of thinking with what I saw from the Coach. I'm not to sure about some of the FA's we got, but the draftees seem to hold themselves a bit differently then the others. Maybe its just me. Good call Infins

Dolphins LB Zach Thomas (Fifth round, 1996): When will scouts learn to shun the Mike Mamulas and Jon Harrises -- workout monsters -- of the world and go with guys who have shown college dominance? Classic example of a guy overlooked because he lacked ideal height.

Exactly what I said about Tolver when FIns drafted him.The guy was dominant force out on the field just got overlooked because doesn't have 4.3 speed.

Much too early to predict this

for Tolver...

however...if you look at the sheer number of players Miami has in the mix...I certainly wouldn't be suprised if one or more of them developed into something special...yet wasn't drafted all that high.

Sounds good to me. Let's see what the kid brings to the table this year. Personally can't wait. I am excited about this year, more than any. Our draft grade is gonna change dramatically once preseason starts. Commentators will say we got plenty of diamonds in the rough.

Sporting news assessment of Tolver

The team may have gotten a steal in fifth-round pick WR J.R. Tolver. He isn't fast but showed great hands and a knack for getting open in minicamp. His play has the team wondering if it can do without free agent Oronde Gadsden.

What I continue to hear about Tolver are words like "football speed" and "explosive". I loathe this trend that has become a standard in the NFL where players are judged by 40 yard times etc. at the expense of their college production. Those numbers may indicate whether a player is good enough to compete in the NFL, but are rather useless when used in isolation. Zach was super productve in college, and that translated to the NFL. Tolver was just a catching machine in college, and simply because he ran a tenth too slow in his 40..he plummets in the draft.

Daryl Jackson was a third round choice. He couldn't beat Jerris McPhail in a 40 yard dash with a 10 yard head start, but who is the better football player. How often does a reciever line up and run flat out in a straight line anyway. Tolver may or may not amount to anything, but if he can make quick cuts, get into and out of his breaks quickly, and has great hands....he has some skills that are often over looked, and are condusive to success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by IceStorm

haha You beat me to it. I was on the same track of thinking with what I saw from the Coach. I'm not to sure about some of the FA's we got, but the draftees seem to hold themselves a bit differently then the others. Maybe its just me. Good call Infins
:D Great minds think alike.

Originally posted by inFINSible
:D Great minds think alike.

Uhh... in that case, I was thinking the same thing too:groucho:

Last edited by a moderator:
If he can catch the ball he's already better than McKnight !

We need an hybrid of Chambers,McKnight and Gadsden. :

Leaping hability of Chambers
Speed of McKnight
Hands of Gadsden

Chambers is near that guy. But we need another one.

Back
Top Bottom