Does Andrews go to Pitt. at 11. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Andrews go to Pitt. at 11.

Phins13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Going through my mock draft last night and see nobody picking Andrews before we pick at 20. Only Pitts. had some lukewarm interest. But I had the feeling that there first choice would be Rivers(he should def. be there). I get a pitts. sport show on my sat. and saw Punch Ilkin(former Steeler) talking about who they were going to pick. He said He really felt that Andrews was a better pick than Rivers for the steelers. My jaw hit the ground! He thinks the steelers will pick him(he visited Pitt.) and they would live with Maddox for one more year. I love Andrews and I think he could start at R.T. till Mcintosh gets back and then slide to rt guard. Could have St.Clair backup at R.T and at center and fill out our depth through the rest of the line...Isn't 11 a bit high to pick Andrews? .....If not Pitts. He will def. be there at 20!

11 is not unreasonable for Andrews. I've yet to see a mock that has him lower than 20, and I saw some early ones that had him as high as 7. The Steelers, historically, have been unable to pass up the chance to take a good OL, so it's definitely a possibility.

I have yet to see someone everyone says we are targeting(media,fans,message boards) ever get drafted by us. I sure hope this is the year we get our(my) guy.

That's a good point. The last time I can remember the Phins making the Conventional Wisdom pick was in 1993, when they took OJ McDuffie.

In everything of late that I have read about the Steelers and their 1st round pick, they are going after a QB. Rivers will be gone at pick #11.

Yatil Green was probably a "conventional wisdom" pick. We needed a WR, fans always want teams to draft the sexier skill position high risk/reward guys, and he was a UM grad. I'm sure there were lots of people wanting the Phins to pick him and were tickled pink when we got him.

Anyway, yes the Steelers will probably pick Andrews if Rivers is not on the board at pick #11 (watch out for the Browns and Chargers on the Rivers thing). Even if Rivers IS on the board, the Steelers could make a last minute decision to go after Andrews. We did that with Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees, and I believe Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin....last minute decisions to go with a guy they weren't particularly thinking of rather than taking the risk on the guy they were thinking of.

Some think the SD will trade out of the 1 spot and pass on Manning to take Rivers at the 5th-9th spot. That would probably be the smarter play for SD. Besides...all GMs and FOs always say one thing about a prospect but think another...Its all a guessing game as to who will go to what team. Besides, you cant count in the trades factor...

Personally I do not see Rivers going before pick #11 however you have to admit its possible. There's enough teams picking around there that need QBs. San Diego and Cleveland must be factored in as possibilities so its like rolling the dice. If Rivers does go before pick #11, bank on the Steelers grabbing Andrews.

phunwin said:
That's a good point. The last time I can remember the Phins making the Conventional Wisdom pick was in 1993, when they took OJ McDuffie.

I think JJ was expected to draft Yatil Green..a few years ago...I personally loved the pick...It's a shame he blew out his knee two years in a row.. :jetssuck:

Drafting Andrews does help the Steelers as Maddox was a decent QB when givin time to throw the ball. An improved OL will go along way to allowing him to get the ball to Ward and Burress. Which should open up things for the running game alot like it will for us this year. If they do take Andrews at 11 I think our pick then goes on the auction block. I wouldnt mind moving down to the late part of round one to get Carey or Smiley while adding a 3rd rounder.

I think that Andrews will be gone and we'll move down and take either Smiley or Evans. It is so hard to predict what we're gonna do. The last player I got right for us with our first pick was Seth. I had him going to us in my mock draft that year but last year I had us taking hunter or calico and we took neither.

Ozzy rules!!

Aside from QB, the Steelers have another need that is more important than OT - Defensive Back. The Steelers DB's have been notoriusly bad the lkast few years, and a lot of people have them taking a DB like Hall or Robsinson at 11. If htey dont go aftyer Rivers/Ben, I see them addressing the DB's before they go OL.

Also, Pitt took OT/OG Kendall Simmons in the first round two years ago.

You can absolutely take this to the bank. I know for a fact that Pittsburgh have spoken to Shawn's agent about contract parameters and have indicated very heavily that if Philip Rivers is off the board at 11, then Andrews is the very, very likely pick.

Pittsburgh coming out and saying how much they like Rivers may be their attempt to keep teams from moving up to grab Andrews. Lets fact it, He is considered the 2nd best OT in the draft.....so a team may see value in grabbing him between picks 7 and 11

Boomer said:
You can absolutely take this to the bank. I know for a fact that Pittsburgh have spoken to Shawn's agent about contract parameters and have indicated very heavily that if Philip Rivers is off the board at 11, then Andrews is the very, very likely pick.

The only way I see Rivers gone BEFORE 11 overall is if a team trades back and targets him before 11 overall (SD, NYG, etc) or if Big Ben Roths slides and Rivers goes before Ben. There are some reports that say Ben will slide and Pitt will have their choice of Ben or Andrews at 11 overall.

I think Pitt may go CB D. Hall as well....just a hunch....but I think Pitt's most likely selection is Andrews, not Rivers.

Back
Top Bottom