Does any body know? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does any body know?

KPDolfan424

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody knows how long it usually takes a player to recover from a torn ACL or whatever, I know it varys but anybody know?

Atleast a year depending on the injury.. Hopefully its the 6th month minor one.

Usually you're cleared to go in six to nine months.

Really fully recovering, for a pro football player, takes two years, I say.

it sucks about poole...yes, six months is about right.

I remember the 1st guy to come back in less than a year. Back in the day Rod Woodson was the 1st guy to get ACL replacement and make it back for the playoffs. I remember what a big deal it was at the time. Now, If it takes more than 8 months, it seems like something went seriously wrong. Also, Terry Allen's 1st replacement took a full calendar year...his second not so long. They both happened within about a year or so apart. Man, sports medicine and surgery has come a long way

I've torn both of my ACLs, with the first one (right knee) happening back in Apr 1992 and the second (left knee) happening back in Oct 2005.

Back in 1992, I was coverted under my Dad's miltary coverage and got a great team of doctor's. One of the doctors was part fo the group that worked on Bo Jackson's hip (you know, Bo never relyl was the same, so manye that wasn't so good :> ). Anyway, it took me about 8-9 months to recover to where I could run and cut, but I still wore a brace. It was just over a full year where I was able to do everything without a brace.

While I injured myself in Oct, I didn't actually get the surgery until Dec. 9th because I also had a fractured tibia plateau that needed to heal first. Along with the ACL, I had a slight meniscus tear as well. As of tomorrow I will be exactly 6 months removed from my surgery. I'm able to run and cut with the brace on, but I can only run straight without the brace. My confidence just isn't there mentally so I'm very caustious about movements without the brace.

I will have to say that the ACL reconstruction surgery has advance GREATLY since my first one. My old surgery left me with a 4.5 inch scar on top on my knee where they removed a portion of the patella tendon to use as a graft. And then there's a 4.5 inch scar on the outside of the knee where they worked to pull the graft through and screw it into place. My new surgery scar is down to a 1.5 inch scar on top of the knee and two small scope holes on both side of top about an inch away from the main cut. Then there's another small scope scar about 5-6 inches up my thigh that they used to pull the graft through.

I was off crutches and walking with a post-op brace locked at 0 degrees within a week and a half. After 3 weeks I was walking with only a neoprene brace on. One month out I was on the stationary bike and about 2 weeks after that I was on the elliptical machine. I've been shocked at how quickly I've recoverd with this second surgery compared to 13 years ago, considering I'm not a super fit teenager anymore.

I would think that an NFL caliber player with an NFL medical and rehabilitation staff should be able to recover quickly. I still think Poole's gone for the year though because he'll be so far behind the learning curve by not being able to take snaps in the defense. Here's to wishing his recovery the best of luck!

P.S. Forgot to add that I have the pictures fromt he scope camera friom my last surgery if anyone wants to see :)

Terrell Davis had a torn ACL, and look what he's doing now.

I just had my Acl reconstructed on Feb 28th 2005. My Dr. used 4 strand hamstring tendon for the graft. I just started doing light barbell squats and lunges and I was able to hike 1.5 miles just yesterday at Chimney Rock, NC. This, of course,was a trail rated at light to moderate but I was pretty happy with how my knee held up. I still have a little trouble walking down stairs and I cant quite jog yet. My physician did tell me that It really takes a full 18 months before the graft fully heals as it takes a long time to develop a blood supply and to get all the muscle tone back. He says that athletes that comeback in 8 months to a year are really risking further injury but because these athletes make so much money they really have a lot of pressure put on them to come back asap.

THOMAS_54 said:
Terrell Davis had a torn ACL, and look what he's doing now.

TD has a degenerative condition in the knee, his problems went FAR beyond an ACL injury.

Back
Top Bottom