Does Mallet fit what the regime wants? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Mallet fit what the regime wants?

AJ Duhe

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Let me personally say that I like the idea of taking Ryan Mallet in this draft. I think some of the off field stuff has been overblown. Mallet is probably the most prepared QB in the draft to come in and run a pro offense. However, I think the regime ends up passing because the focus for next year is adding the big play. We saw that report at the end of the year that Sparano was studying chunk yardage passing plays, and discovered that many of the biggest plays downfield were made when the QB was able to buy extra time and then find a receiver. That just doesn't fit Mallet's profile.

Depending on what you believe, Mallet would fit very well. I think Mallet is the best quarterback to come in, run the offense, and make the routine play. A lot of people think Mallet would be just fine because there have been other QBs that didn't have movement in the pocket. But I would argue that QBs in the mold of Peyton Manning or Dan Marino succeed because they have a special quality that negates the pass rush. With Marino, it was a compact, lightning release that allowed him to get the ball out just before the rush got to him. For Manning, it's his recognition skills coupled with a quick release that consistently allows him to negate the pass rush. Neither of these traits are obvious in Mallet's profile.

I'm looking for one of these three QBs to be the Dolphin's pick. Newton on a trade up. Locker or Ponder on a trade down into lower first round position. I like Ponder because I believe he has the best chance of executing the routine, but he also has enough movement skill to keep a play alive and possibly hit the big yardage play.

Let me personally say that I like the idea of taking Ryan Mallet in this draft. I think some of the off field stuff has been overblown. Mallet is probably the most prepared QB in the draft to come in and run a pro offense. However, I think the regime ends up passing because the focus for next year is adding the big play. We saw that report at the end of the year that Sparano was studying chunk yardage passing plays, and discovered that many of the biggest plays downfield were made when the QB was able to buy extra time and then find a receiver. That just doesn't fit Mallet's profile.

Depending on what you believe, Mallet would fit very well. I think Mallet is the best quarterback to come in, run the offense, and make the routine play. A lot of people think Mallet would be just fine because there have been other QBs that didn't have movement in the pocket. But I would argue that QBs in the mold of Peyton Manning or Dan Marino succeed because they have a special quality that negates the pass rush. With Marino, it was a compact, lightning release that allowed him to get the ball out just before the rush got to him. For Manning, it's his recognition skills coupled with a quick release that consistently allows him to negate the pass rush. Neither of these traits are obvious in Mallet's profile.

I'm looking for one of these three QBs to be the Dolphin's pick. Newton on a trade up. Locker or Ponder on a trade down into lower first round position. I like Ponder because I believe he has the best chance of executing the routine, but he also has enough movement skill to keep a play alive and possibly hit the big yardage play.
I hope we don't get Newton,or even try to...if we don't get Mallett,i hope we get either Locker or Ponder.

I'd be extremely shocked if they drafted Ryan Mallett....

They're looking for a guy who can run around, buy time... and hit the big plays downfield that are caused by a mobile quarterback who can break contain. I think that's one of the things they always liked about Thigpen... He's a natural "mover and shaker", and he won't hesitate to pull the trigger and throw the ball deep downfield after scrambling around... they just want a guy who has the accuracy mixed in and can actually complete the passes...

Here they sit, staring down the barrell of what likely amounts to the most athletic quarterback classes as a whole that there's ever been... loaded with the type of quarterbacks they appear to have a keen liking towards..

I don't think they're seriously interested in Ryan Mallett... I'd expect them to go "value" shopping in this deep group of athletic quarterbacks...

...after they trade down from #15..

Back
Top Bottom