Dolphin D | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin D

SF Dolphin Fan said:
Losman7 quote: "Off topic, where would you select the Miami D in a fantasy draft...as of right now, not knowing how any of the young guys will perform, were would you rate your D?"

I think around 10th. While the defense has a few question marks this year, it will be helped by better schemes and an improved offense - having Carter opposite Taylor on most downs will be tough on opponents, moreso than Taylor/Ogunleye IMO. The D is not championship caliber IMO, but could be if Saban can find a dominating young Tim Bowens type (Bowens retired by the way and TBuck is not on the team) and perhaps a top-notch safety in future drafts. The linebackers aren't as good as Buffalo's, but I think this could definitely be an area of strength. Seau is still above average, although how he comes back from injury is a concern. Roth and Crowder could both see time there and Taylor will lineup in multiple spots. Pope showed a lot of potential as a rookie linebacker as well.

I meant Tebucky, sorry.

Good analysis, I just don't know what Seau is gonna have left.

I just don't know what Seau is gonna have left.

if hes healthy, he'll probably be just as effective as last year. hes had lots of time off to recooperate and refresh himself.

MelbournePhin said:
I just don't know what Seau is gonna have left.

if hes healthy, he'll probably be just as effective as last year. hes had lots of time off to recooperate and refresh himself.

I expect Seau to have a year like he has the past four, around 80-100 tackles, couple sacks.

Do you realize he has forced only 2 turnovers and had 5.5 sacks in the last 3 years. He's a decent LB at this point, but not what he was in SD 7-9 years ago.

Losman7 said:
I expect Seau to have a year like he has the past four, around 80-100 tackles, couple sacks.

Do you realize he has forced only 2 turnovers and had 5.5 sacks in the last 3 years. He's a decent LB at this point, but not what he was in SD 7-9 years ago.

im pretty sure all of us here realize that hes not like was 7-9 years ago. im not sure if any player in their late 30s plays like they did 7-9 yrs ago. bottom line is that hes a solid player and his worth goes beyond on-the-field issues. hes a force in the lockerrom and a mentor for our young LBs

Losman7 said:
Taylor is solid, but he can still be double teamed, who is starting opposite him? Bowens? Roth could be a player down the road, but it even took Taylor some time to develop into a force.
Vonnie Holliday will most likely be the other starting DE with Roth and Bowens rotating in. We are stacked at the DE position, it is the DT spot that worries me. Kevin Carter is good and Traylor is big and can clog the middle, but if Chester really can't come back we should add another player. Wright from USC would be an excelent pickup.

Nublar7 said:
Vonnie Holliday will most likely be the other starting DE with Roth and Bowens rotating in. We are stacked at the DE position, it is the DT spot that worries me. Kevin Carter is good and Traylor is big and can clog the middle, but if Chester really can't come back we should add another player. Wright from USC would be an excelent pickup.

I forgot about Hiliday, that rotation should be solid.

Manuel Wright could be ghood down the road, but he's not going to make an impact THIS season, assuming saban wants to bring him in.

Losman7 said:
I forgot about Hiliday, that rotation should be solid.

Manuel Wright could be ghood down the road, but he's not going to make an impact THIS season, assuming saban wants to bring him in.
Your right, Wright wouldn't be a major impact this season, but it would be nice to have a young DT who can get a few snaps a game so he is ready to maybe start next year or in 2007. Wright would definitley be a good DT to groom over a year or two into a starter.

Defense is hard for me to judge. From what I have read about Saban's system having a bunch of big run stuffing defensive linemen does not seem as important as it was in the old system. By what the LSU fans have said that his defense is more dependant on having a bunch of good defensive end type players. That Saban likes to stock up on those types of players. Which says to me that he does plan to use players those players on stopping the run.

Then you have the secondary, which is now more of a scheme type of secondary rather than a line up one on one we will beat you type secondary that we have seen in the past. So looking at the secondary of old you would see, Sam, Pat and the Safties and think, those guys are talented they should be a good secondary. Now it seems to be, are those guys athletic and smart enough to be a good secondary unit. Where last year there was a lot of Pat and Sam one on one on the same player, this year that does not seem to be the case. It does not look like it is going to be Sam and *insert cornerback here*'s job to take away the outside recievers. So the question is, are the defensive backs that are in smart enough to pick up the system and athletic enough to be effective in it.

Back
Top Bottom