Dolphins #1 in Sporting News' Power Rankings this week. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins #1 in Sporting News' Power Rankings this week.

Personally, I don't like that. Seems Miami always finds a way to dash expectations. Yes, I'm still scarred by the last 20 years.
I guess that’s the advantage I have of being in the stadium to watch the Dolphins play when they went to three Super Bowls in a row in the early 1970’s.

I saw Shula come to Miami and turn a bad Dolphin team into the best team in the league for 2 straight years. So I don’t dwell on the last 20 years but understand that with the right HC and good players, any team can achieve success in the NFL.

This team seems to have found the right head coach and they have a lot of excellent players on their roster. I have no idea how far this team will go this year but I have no doubt this team is headed for a bright future. Dwelling on what happened the past 20 years only takes away from the joy of what is happening right now.

I guess that’s the advantage I have of being in the stadium to watch the Dolphins play when they went to three Super Bowls in a row in the early 1970’s.

I saw Shula come to Miami and turn a bad Dolphin team into the best team in the league for 2 straight years. So I don’t dwell on the last 20 years but understand that with the right HC and good players, any team can achieve success in the NFL.

This team seems to have found the right head coach and they have a lot of excellent players on their roster. I have no idea how far this team will go this year but I have no doubt this team is headed for a bright future. Dwelling on what happened the past 20 years only takes away from the joy of what is happening right now.

Don't disagree, but my scars are deep. A few more wins may heal them up

It’s nice but it really doesn’t mean much after three games. The goal is to be the top ranked team after the Super Bowl is played but it is great to see that the team is getting positive recognition from some individuals in the media for how they have played so far.
It doesn’t mean at any point.

Power rankings are subjective fluff, fluctuating wildly week to week based on subjective overreaction. Power ratings, on the other hand, are math-based and considerably less impressed by one result or several results. They are also the source of the weekly betting lines.

As always, a simple reference is the Jeff Sagarin NFL ratings. His numbers are used by oddsmakers and are still freely available online. Other major power ratings sources eventually sensed their value and cloaked the numbers, requiring subscription.

Sagarin updates his public model following the Monday night game. That will provide an indication of how much the Dolphins "gained" from last week. Entering week 3, Sagarin had Miami 12th in the power ratings, 6.58 points behind #1 Buffalo:

Sagarin has notably been far less bullish on Buffalo than other respected sources. For example, TeamRankings.com is an excellent reference point on numerous sports. They are math based and use both terms...ratings and rankings.

TeamRankings.com has numerous ratings categories. The one they tout and prefer is the "Predictive Rating," because -- as they emphasize -- it incorporates a preseason rating as opposed to relying on recent results alone. That is the single greatest misconception and ignorance of the typical fan, that current results are all that matters. The reality is exactly the opposite. Applying preseason evaluation dramatically improves clarity in all sports. College football and basketball ratings are an amazing resource. Everything tends to drift back to the beginning. Regular season results can actually deflect from true ability level. Nate Silver always emphasizes that he uses preseason ratings to help fill out his NCAA bracket. I cannot imagine wagering on college sports without severe loyalty to preseason ratings.

The NFL has greater fluctuation year to year because the talent level is more balanced. A 3-point shift in power rating doesn't take you to a dramatically different level in college football. But it will in the NFL. You'll leap frog as many as 8 teams. But this is how TeamRankings.com explained the input of preseason numbers:

"Designed solely for predictive purposes, our current ratings improved upon our original ratings in several ways, most notably by incorporating a preseason rating (or "prior") for each team. Using preseason ratings improves the overall predictive accuracy of the system, although the impact of a team's preseason rating decreases over time."

The Dolphins are now up to 6th in that Predictive Rating. Buffalo is 1st and 4.5 points ahead of second place Kansas City. The Bills are 7.2 points ahead of Miami.

If you look closer at other ratings categories it explains why they aren't convinced by the Dolphins:

Even one win in the playoffs would help with the healing for me.
Dude, aren't you the guy ranting about how the game was over, and we were going to lose, not only this week, but last week as well?

It's hard to recover if you don't want to recover.

Not a surprise 3-0 with all wins coming over playoff teams.
I'm suprised. Listening to some media pundit hack merchants you would think the Bills and Ravens are already in the AFC Championship. That stat has flown over some of their heads.

I'm suprised. Listening to some media pundit hack merchants you would think the Bills and Ravens are already in the AFC Championship. That stat has flown over some of their heads.
Haven't you heard? All those wins were flukes........

Dude, aren't you the guy ranting about how the game was over, and we were going to lose, not only this week, but last week as well?

It's hard to recover if you don't want to recover.
Always! Assume failure until proven otherwise. They are starting to prove.

Wow, I hope you aren't the leader of anything, in any capacity. Or is it just a "hand shy dog" type of mindset?
I'm a physicist. I like proof, or at least enough evidence to state my beliefs. 😀

I was cofounder of a company that went from 2 people to 280 (at the moment) so I've had to lead projects/people on occasion. They call me the "smiling pessimist" since I smile through the worst of things while excessively ranting, and won't accept personal failures. I'm now retired 25 years after starting the company and just consult, but am always amazed when I wander in and people have heard stories about my "mild insanity" during meetings when I'd go rather negative, storm out, and propose a viable solution the next day (after numerous beverages to perk up my brain).

Dolphins are now making viable solutions at halftime to win games, and I'll continue ranting until we succeed. But am always smiling.

Fins have gone up and down since I started following them in the late 60s, but it's been so down for so long that I'm waiting for evidence. Only three games in, but evidence is looking favorable as it trickles in.

PS. Not sure what hand shy dog means. I'm guessing it's on urban dictionary (if that is still a site). 🤣

I'm a physicist. I like proof, or at least enough evidence to state my beliefs. 😀

I was cofounder of a company that went from 2 people to 280 (at the moment) so I've had to lead projects/people on occasion. They call me the "smiling pessimist" since I smile through the worst of things while excessively ranting, and won't accept personal failures. I'm now retired 25 years after starting the company and just consult, but am always amazed when I wander in and people have heard stories about my "mild insanity" during meetings when I'd go rather negative, storm out, and propose a viable solution the next day (after numerous beverages to perk up my brain).

Dolphins are now making viable solutions at halftime to win games, and I'll continue ranting until we succeed. But am always smiling.

Fins have gone up and down since I started following them in the late 60s, but it's been so down for so long that I'm waiting for evidence. Only three games in, but evidence is looking favorable as it trickles in.

PS. Not sure what hand shy dog means. I'm guessing it's on urban dictionary (if that is still a site). 🤣
I don't think it's an "urban dictionary" thing, probably more of a folksy, country boy saying.

When a dog has been beaten repeatedly, it will cower whenever its owner raises his hand, even if it is just to pet the animal.

I know it's way too early in the season but I don't care I'm still super stoked

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom