Dolphins 2018 Vs 2019 Post Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 2018 Vs 2019 Post Draft

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've done a quick comparison of position group of 2018 Dolphins vs 2019. Last year we won 7 games when most people projected us to be one of the worst, if not the worst, teams. This year we are also projected similarly. Can the drop in QB and DE pass rush take us from winning 7 games last year to say 3-4 games this year? If not, we would not end up with a top 5 pick in 2020 draft for a top tier QB. Granted no one can project injuries. I don't see a drop off in talent between last year and this year other than at QB, Wake and Quinn. Most of us think the 2019 coaching staff is better than the 2018 staff. May be this is why Grier/Flores got Rosen because there is no guarantee for us getting a top QB in next year's draft unless we trade up.

Position Group 2018 vs 2019
QB Sizable drop unless J. Rosen develops
OL Wash with Deitmer & Kilgore back & James leaving
RB Wash with presumably Drake taking Gore's carries
WR Same group with A. Wilson & Grant returning & Amendola leaving
TE Slightly improved with Allen providing better blocking
DE Big drop off in pass rush with Wake & Quinn gone
DT Improved with V. Taylor back & Wilkins
LB Same group plus some rookies
CB Same group plus E. Rowe
SS Same group

QB Sizable drop unless J. Rosen develops -- totally disagree with THAT. Getting rid of Thill is a net + IMO. Period. And in terms of potential, we are way better.

OL Wash with Deitmer & Kilgore back & James leaving -- James was soft. Unreliable and inconsistent. Deiter has the potential to be a significant upgrade and Prince could surprise (tho I'll admit he could also bomb). That said, along with the UDFA acquisition of Deion Calhoun I think we again have more upside.

RB Wash with presumably Drake taking Gore's carries -- disagree. I think the addition of Cox is significant and I also really like the kid from Washington. Of course spec at this point. But Gore is NOT the kind of player you include on a massive rebuild, and let's be real -- what can the MAN have left in his tank?

WR Same group with A. Wilson & Grant returning & Amendola leaving -- sans Amendola is OK by me but I'm most concerned about the tots. The hip injury was just from a leg pull on tackle and I'm not sure how you make that joint more sound via rehab. Grants Achilles is as bad as it gets for his game -- unless he got "lucky" and the damage was really inconsequential. I'm not banking on him at all at this point. Truth is -- my biggest hope for the group is rooted with the UDFA Preston Williams. My instincts tell me that kid has something "special" and sure hope he shines.

TE Slightly improved with Allen providing better blocking -- I'd ramp the improvement grade up based on the anticipated use of Gesicki + the added versatility Cox will (hopefully) add to the equation. We might actually have some talent in and around the TE position.

DE Big drop off in pass rush with Wake & Quinn gone -- I think "big" is overstated because (a) Wake is a deluxe athlete but (seriously) 37-years old! And Quinn can be replaced with scheme and (I hope) the utilization of our speed on the outside (I have yet to fully identify)! But anyway. I hope we have a relative "push" but would not be surprised if our team sacks actually increase via more stunts and creative blitz.

DT Improved with V. Taylor back & Wilkins -- for sure.

LB Same group plus some rookies -- I have hopes (2 flippers crossed) Harris converts effectively to LB and Van Ginkel proves to be a find. But not much to base this on. Very big ??? considering the D we all anticipate us running. Also huge hopes for Jayrone Elliott.

CB Same group plus E. Rowe -- Another sag in the web regarding the system we're ostensibly going after. Though I expect Flores to prove most valuable in this positional group. I do like the looks of the (speed contested) kid from UTEP... But we need more talent.

SS Same group -- fully expect Minkah to excel. Beyond that... ???

The OL is worse. Deiter willplay G and while he has potential I think we all had high hopes for Josh Sitton going into the 2018 season. Future prospects good, but comparing 2018 to 2019 not so good. And same at RT - say what you want about James he was an average/good starter that we will struggle to replace straight away.

I'm not sure I agree... young players tend to be injured less.

Sitton was donish, and James was never great.

I'm not sure I agree... young players tend to be injured less.

Sitton was donish, and James was never great.
True but that's not the point - it's Sitton 2018 vs Dieter 2019 and James 2018 vs ? As divisive as James was/is he was a better option last season than ? is now.

This team does not jump out on paper - I expect to get beat up by the AFCE for two years - after we take our lumps we will be on top of the division for 10 years - there are nice pieces in place but just not enough in key areas like DE “scheme” will not get the pressure on the QB - sorry

Rosen will face immense pressure we were soft as puppy poo last year and we’ll see how it shapes up

Our WRs are not going to scare anyone collectively -

Had we wanted to make a good run we would have overpaid for free-agents I am glad we didn’t - this is not the year

Well, the OP is trying to be positive (very) but last year's team was better at least on paper. Once again, for the rebuild to work the last thing we need is to win 6 or 7 games this year and draft middle of the pack in every round once again. It'd be nice to draft top 3 for all 7 rounds for a change.

True but that's not the point - it's Sitton 2018 vs Dieter 2019 and James 2018 vs ? As divisive as James was/is he was a better option last season than ? is now.

As I said... disagree, at least in part. I wasnt sold on Sitton or James. I saw no upside, and nothing better than average in either of them.

The last coaching staff had a 3-year tendency to win games it had no business winning, based on how the game played out. That is by far the biggest question mark I detect. Of course, it could be a huge positive if now we lose all the coin flip games and end up with an unintentional tank.

The offensive line is going to be weaker without James. No need to analyze that. When a player of that age leaves and receives a contract of that type, he was valued around the league.

I was kind of shocked when someone posted the full roster last night. I can go back almost to the outset of the franchise and was trying to think of any period when the roster might have looked that awful. I couldn't come up with anything. Late '60s we already had great young players littered on the roster even though it was still expansion growing pains.

Among our first round draft picks this decade you have to go all the way up to 2016 to find a player who is still here and doing anything...Tunsil. In other words, the decline was earned. Just too bad we followed up Tunsil with Charles Harris the following year. Otherwise there could be four consecutive building blocks.

Hello all.
I've done a quick comparison of position group of 2018 Dolphins vs 2019. Last year we won 7 games when most people projected us to be one of the worst, if not the worst, teams. This year we are also projected similarly.

Let me preface by saying that I get that our Dolphins aren't a good team. By record, they were a bit below average. Perhaps they played above their heads earlier in the season. IDK. Perhaps they were good enough to be at over barely over .500 if not for injuries to the o-line and skill players. IDK.

That said, I kept hearing one specific analyst during the draft repeat over and over that the Dolphins have the worst starting 22 in the league. WTF??

Did I miss something? Were the Dolphins drafting #1 because they produced the worst record last season? Were they even among the top 3 or even top 5? Nope.

12 teams produced a worse record than MIA this past season. TWELVE. And 3 others posted an identical record.

I get that rosters had been altered even before the draft via trades, releases and free agency. But the Dolphins didn't start from scratch with an entirely new roster (although some might wish they had). There are a lot of mainstays on the roster from the team that finished ahead of or even with nearly 50% of the league.

This notion that they have the worst 22 is beyond ridiculous and not supported by recent play. While most, if not all, of us expect a drop off, 12 teams suddenly vaulting the Dolphins doesn't seem too realistic. Unless they intentionally tank (which the new leadership professes won't be the case), this team won't be the worst.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Let me preface by saying that I get that our Dolphins aren't a good team. By record, they were a bit below average. Perhaps they played above their heads earlier in the season. IDK. Perhaps they were good enough to be at over barely over .500 if not for injuries to the o-line and skill players. IDK.

That said, I kept hearing one specific analyst during the draft repeat over and over that the Dolphins have the worst starting 22 in the league. WTF??

Did I miss something? Were the Dolphins drafting #1 because they produced the worst record last season? Were they even among the top 3 or even top 5? Nope.

12 teams produced a worse record than MIA this past season. TWELVE. And 3 others posted an identical record.

I get that rosters had been altered even before the draft via trades, releases and free agency. But the Dolphins didn't start from scratch with an entirely new roster (although some might wish they had). There are a lot of mainstays on the roster from the team that finished ahead of or even with nearly 50% of the league.

This notion that they have the worst 22 is beyond ridiculous and not supported by recent play. While most, if not all, of us expect a drop off, 12 teams suddenly vaulting the Dolphins doesn't seem too realistic. Unless they intentionally tank (which the new leadership professes won't be the case), this team won't be the worst.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

I agree and we had a better record than two other teams in our division. I just don't think the drop off is going to be as bad as people think. Are we going to have a winning record? Most likely not. Are we going to be the worst team in the league? Don't think so.

How much better is the combo of Tannehill and Os vs. Fitz & Rosen? DE is the only place see a drop-off but it's not like Wake & Quinn were lighting it up. Getting rid of Burke and changing the scheme should make up some difference.

Back
Top Bottom