Dolphins 5th Year Options-Last 5 Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 5th Year Options-Last 5 Picks

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Obviously this is only for Miami 1st rd picks since 2013.

2013-Dion Jordan (#3)- Voided
2014-Ju’Waun James (#19)- Picked up
2015-DeVante Parker (#14)- Picked up
2016-Laremy Tunsil (#13)- Picked up
2017-Charles Harris (#22)- Declined

Just thought this was interesting with the 5th year option deadline this week. Can’t really getting anything from this except none of these players were good enough for Miami to lock them up with an extension before their 5th year option came up.

Hopefully at least 2 of Miami’s 1st rd picks get their 5th year options picked up by Miami.

Was gonna say we extended Parker but I think you are right that was after we picked up his option. Could add minkah to that list as well.
Nah Minkah’s 5th year option won’t be Available until Next year. Pittsburgh will most likely pick it up or extend him this year if he has another year like last year.

Nah Minkah’s 5th year option won’t be Available until Next year. Pittsburgh will most likely pick it up or extend him this year if he has another year like last year.
I think he meant that WE won't be picking up the option since he's already gone from our team.

For what it’s worth, more and more teams are declining the fifth year option. It’s a big price tag and many first rounders won’t merit it. Doesn’t mean the team won’t re-sign the player though.

Obviously this is only for Miami 1st rd picks since 2013.

2013-Dion Jordan (#3)- Voided
2014-Ju’Waun James (#19)- Picked up
2015-DeVante Parker (#14)- Picked up
2016-Laremy Tunsil (#13)- Picked up
2017-Charles Harris (#22)- Declined

Just thought this was interesting with the 5th year option deadline this week. Can’t really getting anything from this except none of these players were good enough for Miami to lock them up with an extension before their 5th year option came up.

Hopefully at least 2 of Miami’s 1st rd picks get their 5th year options picked up by Miami.

Tunsil and Fitzpatrick were/are good enough. Under a different set of circumstances they would both have received that second deal. Parker was good enough, just not healthy enough.

Its been about a 50% hit rate....pretty much as expected with Jordan being the one standout miss.

Tunsil and Fitzpatrick were/are good enough. Under a different set of circumstances they would both have received that second deal. Parker was good enough, just not healthy enough.

Its been about a 50% hit rate....pretty much as expected with Jordan being the one standout miss.
Definitely some unique situations for Miami that’s for sure. They were decent picks but it seemed Miami didn’t have the structure or coaching for them

I think you hit the nail on the head. Well said @Ferretsquig .

It's worth noting that the plan was to keep both Laremey Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick, but the offer we received for Tunsil (coupled with how much he would cost) was too good to refuse. Minkah was a product of a guy who didn't want to be there not helping the locker room. I really disliked letting either one of them go, but we did get a good deal for Tunsil.

I was very disappointed in the whole Minkah situation. I said before we drafted him that he was an All-Pro Free Safety, and that if he was there, we needed to draft him and put him into FS for the next 15 years. No nickel, no boundary corner, just let him become the next Ed Reed. Of course, we screwed around with him trying to make him a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. He clearly said he didn't like that both as a rookie and as a returning player, begging the staff to tell him which position they wanted him to play so he could properly prepare and get his body at the right weight. He was mediocre here. When he goes to Pittsburgh--a well run organization--they immediately said you're a FS only from day 1, play free and fast, and we can live with mistakes of commission. Instantly one of the best FS in the league. All the coaching had to do was get out of his way and let him be great ... something the Dolphins could not do.

I think I've count 18 of the 1st round picks from 2017 that didn't have their 5th year picked up, and a few others that aren't even with the team that drafted them.

For what it’s worth, more and more teams are declining the fifth year option. It’s a big price tag and many first rounders won’t merit it. Doesn’t mean the team won’t re-sign the player though.

If you aren't picking up the 5th year option, you essentially didn't hit on your pick.

The whole benefit of a 5th year option is to get that player for one more year on a better price tag vs giving them a long term extension. This is especially true for the big price tag positions such as QB, CB, OT, DE/3-4OLB, DT. And I don't think its a coincidence we took 3 of those positions with our 1st round picks this year.

Drafting Defensive Ends is not a perfect science. Having good pass rushers is an essential part of building a successful Defense, but it seems that a disproportionate number of highly drafted DE's don't succeed. Seems like it is just about the hardest position (along with QB) to hit the jackpot. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the past 20 odd years, we only had 2 really good pass rushing DE's - Jason Taylor and Cam Wake (and both were terrific). Jason was a second round pick and Cam was undrafted and we found him in Canada.
Yes, Dion Jordan and Charles Harris were both bad misses but they are just the recent ones - we've been struggling to fill this position for years. However, Miami is not alone intros endeavor. Interesting to note that from the Charles Harris draft, the Cowboys were quick to dump Taco Charlton and Takk McKinley has hardly been a success in Atlanta.
Welcome thoughts on how to find the good DE's that can take their college game to the next level in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom