Dolphins 7-round mock draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 7-round mock draft

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
IMO there are a few scenarios that could play out. Here's a decent one that I think would make our team a lot better.
Scenario A

Round 1: Derwin James, S, FSU—the ultimate defensive chess piece. Would allow Miami to run a more complex defense and more hybrid sets.

Round 2: Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina—most NFL-ready tight end in the draft and can both catch and block. Pretty solid at YAC, too.

Round 3: Genard Avery, LB, Memphis—gives you a thumper at LB but is also athletic enough to play coverage and chase players down from behind

Round 4a: Jaylen Samuels, RB/TE/FB, NC State—I see him as a RB at the next level. Has solid hands, which fits into Miami's offensive identity of having pass-catching backs. Also big enough to get the job done in short yardage situations.

Round 4b: Deadrin Senat, DT, USF—big, tough mother******.

Round 6: Jordan Akins, TE, UCF—Given Miami's lack of talented bodies at TE, I'm a fan of them doubling up.

Round 7: Ray Ray McCloud, WR/K, Clemson—Another speedy guy

I like all the picks, but I think you can get Hurst in the 3rd and Avery in the late 4th. It may provide some trade down scenarios to pick up additional picks. I really like the Samuels pick. I would love to have someone on the team again like Jim "Crash" Jensen.

IMO there are a few scenarios that could play out. Here's a decent one that I think would make our team a lot better.
Scenario A

Round 1: Derwin James, S, FSU—the ultimate defensive chess piece. Would allow Miami to run a more complex defense and more hybrid sets.

Round 2: Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina—most NFL-ready tight end in the draft and can both catch and block. Pretty solid at YAC, too.

Round 3: Genard Avery, LB, Memphis—gives you a thumper at LB but is also athletic enough to play coverage and chase players down from behind

Round 4a: Jaylen Samuels, RB/TE/FB, NC State—I see him as a RB at the next level. Has solid hands, which fits into Miami's offensive identity of having pass-catching backs. Also big enough to get the job done in short yardage situations.

Round 4b: Deadrin Senat, DT, USF—big, tough mother******.

Round 6: Jordan Akins, TE, UCF—Given Miami's lack of talented bodies at TE, I'm a fan of them doubling up.

Round 7: Ray Ray McCloud, WR/K, Clemson—Another speedy guy

I would be ecstatic with this draft!

Good 4th round. The rest doesn't really do it for me.

Hurst is a scary riser. Those older guys tend to fall back to Earth hard once they aren't playing against 19 year olds anymore. I can't recall a more meh TE class. I'd roll with Gesicki (sp? phone keeps switching e and i) if I was hell bent on grabbing a TE high and thought teaching him how to block wouldn't be a production.

I think if I were to draft a TE, it would be Herndon from Miami, based on potential alone (not just saying that as a Canes homer). Dude seems to be pretty raw and would, I think, make a nice target for Tannehill inside the 20.

I like all the picks, but I think you can get Hurst in the 3rd and Avery in the late 4th. It may provide some trade down scenarios to pick up additional picks. I really like the Samuels pick. I would love to have someone on the team again like Jim "Crash" Jensen.

I disagree about Hurst. I don't think he, Goedert, or Gesicki would be there for our 3rd round pick. I also don't think Avery will last through the fourth. Not a lot of places talk about Avery but he's got the skills to be an immediate every down linebacker, and finding those past the 4th round are rare.

Good 4th round. The rest doesn't really do it for me.

Hurst is a scary riser. Those older guys tend to fall back to Earth hard once they aren't playing against 19 year olds anymore. I can't recall a more meh TE class. I'd roll with Gesicki (sp? phone keeps switching e and i) if I was hell bent on grabbing a TE high and thought teaching him how to block wouldn't be a production.

I disagree about Hurst (obviously). He's only a year older than Tannehill was when Tannehill was drafted. Along with that, he has shown ability to block against high-level competition and has shown that he's a seam weapon. Goedert has the size and all of that, and you could really interchange the two for me in terms of what they bring. While Gesicki is probably going to be a great receiver, I don't see how you use him as an every down tight end since he's so weak as a blocker.

Hurst is my number 1 tight end based on his ability to do everything, his production against tough football competition, and he also passes the "eye" test. He gets open A LOT. And he can get YAC and tough yardage.

I think if I were to draft a TE, it would be Herndon from Miami, based on potential alone (not just saying that as a Canes homer). Dude seems to be pretty raw and would, I think, make a nice target for Tannehill inside the 20.

IMO I don't think, given his lackluster production in college, that you can draft him and feel like you now have a solid tight end room. He's very much a project, as is the rest of Miami's tight ends. That's kind of why I doubled up on TEs. Need a lot more talent on the roster

James in the 1st could mean passing on better talent at LB. Hurst is a fine pick. After that the rest is very ho-hum. Avery is very much a reach in the 3rd. Average to below average draft to me.
Edit- I honestly don't know how I feel about James at 11. I think I'd much prefer a LB. I just see much more of an impact from a guy like Edmunds if there.

James in the 1st could mean passing on better talent at LB. Hurst is a fine pick. After that the rest is very ho-hum. Avery is very much a reach in the 3rd. Average to below average draft to me.
Edit- I honestly don't know how I feel about James at 11. I think I'd much prefer a LB. I just see much more of an impact from a guy like Edmunds if there.

Derwin is the complete package as a player and can make a profound, immediate impact. Edmunds is a very good prospect, but his play scares me. He's out of position a lot, but got away with it because of his athletic ability.

Derwin is the complete package as a player and can make a profound, immediate impact. Edmunds is a very good prospect, but his play scares me. He's out of position a lot, but got away with it because of his athletic ability.
It's funny, I think you can switch the names in your post and it would still make sense. I feel for Miami lb is much more of a need. Just my opinion. Edmunds is a beast. His impact would absolutely be immediate .

I also think the fact that he played very few talented offenses is a big knock in him. Wake forest, duke, Boston college, Syracuse, del state, la Monroe and southern miss. That doesn't really help his status.

Back
Top Bottom