Dolphins (and other teams) may start playing 18 games in 2005 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins (and other teams) may start playing 18 games in 2005

dean_siu

sdkjglkdsjglkdsj
Reaction score
NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue is considering authorizing the league to study the feasibility of adding two games to the current 16-game schedule and reducing the number of preseason games, the Washington Post reported in its Saturday editions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1610190

2 words for the NFL......ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be a great change, I even think 20 regular season games with 2 preseason games would be great as well because this would get more teams to play each other, more games for the fans to see, more money for the league and players, and its a nice whole number.

Whether a change for an 18- or 20-game season, I seriously doubt its going to happen. Players will definitely not like it, owners and mangers will not want more work, and alumni players will not want all their NFL records to be broken.

This won't happen because the NFLPA won't allow it to. I don't know if it would work either. Even if they cut down the preseason (which they should), teams still need 6 weeks from the start of training camp until they can start playing games. If they make the season 18 games, the training camps would either have to be 2 weeks shorter or the players would have to come in earlier, and the NFLPA won't allow that to happen.

Maybe in exchange the owners will allow the practice squad to be active during games. This will give the NFLPA something back. I'm also curious if that plan would change the play-offs to allow more teams.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
This won't happen because the NFLPA won't allow it to. I don't know if it would work either. Even if they cut down the preseason (which they should), teams still need 6 weeks from the start of training camp until they can start playing games. If they make the season 18 games, the training camps would either have to be 2 weeks shorter or the players would have to come in earlier, and the NFLPA won't allow that to happen.

Also the owners will not give up the free money they earn during the 4 game pre-season. 100% of their home pre-season take goes into their pocket and does not get shared between the rest of the NFL.

It won't ever happen.

Oliver...

That's one of the dumbest ideas ever...

The NFL is freaky like that. This year we have some high profile people getting injured, so they want to change the preseason. Well IMHO, the format works fine.
If anything, redcuing the amount of preseason games is going to increase the chance of injuries to starting players.

Preseason is for evalution of young players, position battles, and conditioning for veterans. And when I say conditioning for veterans, I include free agents getting in sync with the new system and teamates, timing and coordination between skill positions, testing new schemes, etc..

Currently our Starters probably play the equivalent of one entire game over the span of four preseason games. If you reduce the amount of pre season games, starters will probably play the same amount or more over the span of two games. Which IMHO,, can lead to just as much if not more injuries, beacuse starters will be playing the entire first half two games. Then not to mention the two extra regular season games where the starters will be playing the full game... if they don't get hurt.

I think it's a very dumb reactionary idea, because Vick and Pennington got hurt. I would just reduce maybe one preseason game and definelty not add two more games.. from an injury standpoint

From the love of football standpoint, they could play 52 games a year :D and I'd love it.

Re: That's one of the dumbest ideas ever...

Originally posted by rhadaddy
The NFL is freaky like that. This year we have some high profile people getting injured, so they want to change the preseason. Well IMHO, the format works fine.
If anything, redcuing the amount of preseason games is going to increase the chance of injuries to starting players.

Preseason is for evalution of young players, position battles, and conditioning for veterans. And when I say conditioning for veterans, I include free agents getting in sync with the new system and teamates, timing and coordination between skill positions, testing new schemes, etc..

Currently our Starters probably play the equivalent of one entire game over the span of four preseason games. If you reduce the amount of pre season games, starters will probably play the same amount or more over the span of two games. Which IMHO,, can lead to just as much if not more injuries, beacuse starters will be playing the entire first half two games. Then not to mention the two extra regular season games where the starters will be playing the full game... if they don't get hurt.

I think it's a very dumb reactionary idea, because Vick and Pennington got hurt. I would just reduce maybe one preseason game and definelty not add two more games.. from an injury standpoint

From the love of football standpoint, they could play 52 games a year :D and I'd love it.

What's funny to me is that those players that got hurt during the pre-season still would have been hurt during the reg-season. It seems a bit irrational to think it won't happen during the reg-season.

It doesn't matter when an injury happens, it sux no matter when it happens.

Oliver...

I agree

What's funny to me is that those players that got hurt during the pre-season still would have been hurt during the reg-season. It seems a bit irrational to think it won't happen during the reg-season.

furthermore, if you look at the injuries, they were on fluke plays. I didn't see the Falcons game, but from the replays, it looks like Vick could've thrown the ball away. In the case of Pennington, It didn't even look serious when it happened. Both injuries happened on routine plays, nothing like the K Kennedy hit on Chambers or the Sapp hit on the Greenbay Line man. These type of injuries happen all the time on the most random plays.

Re: That's one of the dumbest ideas ever...

Originally posted by rhadaddy

If you read the article you would have read that this 2-game extra proposal was not based on the key injuries to Vick and Pennington, it based on the concept of more competition and playoff deservement (if thats a word). Last year was a mess til WEEK 17 when half the AFC teams were playing for a playoff spot, I'd rather have 2 or 4 more games to make sure the best team gets in the playoffs. ie: I think the Dolphins or the Patriots should have been in the AFC playoffs last year and not the Colts or the Browns.

From a make-sense standpoint, we should eliminate preseason alltogther. Have 1 or 2 scrimmage games like Titans-Dolphins did in summer, we're the only country to have this notion of preseason games in our sports.

In my perfect word, they'd play 2 preseason games and 16 regular season games. Same format, just reduce the number of preseason games. I think 18 regular season games is too much.

Originally posted by Muck
In my perfect word, they'd play 2 preseason games and 16 regular season games. Same format, just reduce the number of preseason games. I think 18 regular season games is too much.

That is exactly how it should be, however, the owners won't allow it because they would lose a home game and a lot of money.

Originally posted by Muck
I think 18 regular season games is too much.

Take it back!

Must I remind you.......

clear.gif

Die offseason, DIE!

This will not happen because the coaches will not be able to examine the players (trying to make the team) during games plus all the other billion factors Ice pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom