Dolphins (and other teams) may start playing 18 games in 2005 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins (and other teams) may start playing 18 games in 2005

Originally posted by Muck
In my perfect word, they'd play 2 preseason games and 16 regular season games. Same format, just reduce the number of preseason games. I think 18 regular season games is too much.

I agree with Muck on this one. I don't see the owners doing it though. I heard somewhere that the owners pay $100,000 in salaries for a pre-season game and just over $4 mil for a regular season game.

If they did increase to 18 reg season games the players would end up making more money because the rights fees would go up and they may go along with it for that reason. I think that they would either expand the rosters by a few players (I'd love to see them take away the inactive rule) or adjust the IR rules so that if you lost a player for 6 weeks he could go on the list and another player could be signed to replace him. Once the injured palyer was healthy he could then be activated to the active roster and another player waived.

Even with these possibilities I still don't see a change to 18 games

Last year was a fluke...

If you read the article you would have read that this 2-game extra proposal was not based on the key injuries to Vick and Pennington, it based on the concept of more competition and playoff deservement (if thats a word). Last year was a mess til WEEK 17 when half the AFC teams were playing for a playoff spot, I'd rather have 2 or 4 more games to make sure the best team gets in the playoffs. ie:

The top six rushing teams didn't make the playoffs, The last four playoffs spots weren't decided until the final week. All this rhetoric comes up when there's a freaky trend and that's it it's just a fluke trend...

From a purely business standpoint, dont fix it if it aint broken. I'm also an avid baseball and basketball fan and both of those sports are in terrible financial shape, especially baseball. Football is the most profitable professional sports in the US and the most fiscally sound. So the owners, NFLPA, and any other figures responsible for the revenue shearing in the NFL aren't going to be to hasty to change the paradigm.

I think the Dolphins or the Patriots should have been in the AFC playoffs last year and not the Colts or the Browns.

No the dolphins or patriots shouldn't have been in the playoffs. Beacause they both played 16 games like every other team and the Phins choked and the pats played poor defense. I love the Phins but if you choke you choke and yes we may have been better than the colts or the Browns but that's result of the playoff format, tough division, and the tiebrakers. Championships arent won on paper and last year we were paper champions.

I hate to admit it but it's true

I hope it doesnt happen, 16 games plus playoffs is hard enough on the body, It would end up shortening some of the careers of players

Damn, players have trouble staying healthy in a 16 game season...now imagine an 18 game season......all they need to do is eliminate one preseason game.....and play 3 of them and 16 reg. season games...thats it.

Follow the trend line... and follow the money. The schedule will go to 18 games sometime before 2010.

The regular season games and play-offs are where the money is to be made, and there are a host of trade-offs to accomodate the players' concerns, foremost among them being more MONEY.

Knock preseason down to two games. Spread the work across more players by increasing the roster. Schedule better to eliminate very short weeks. Consider enforced limits on full-pad workouts during the season. Move all the bye weeks further into the season. Since so much work falls to veterans, you could have them return to camp a little later and just give the rooks and less-experienced players with limited or no starts get more work for a week or two. MAYBE even consider a second bye week. And eliminate outdated hard artificial surfaces!

You guys with the money comments are way off. There is one reason and one reason only they would be considering this.

Their TV contracts.

Word is going around that they will be hard pressed to even get the same TV deal as last time without some major tinkering and this may be what they do. If they add 2 more games it would probably add at least $400 million to any TV contract. If anything the move would bring more money from the revenue sharing of the tv contracts.

The current NFL TV-rights contracts, which run through the 2005 season, total $17.6 billion. CBS is paying an average $500 million a year; Fox, an average of $550 million a year; ABC, an average of $550 million; and ESPN, an average of $600 million.

Note when the current contract is up and try to tell me it has nothing to do with the tv contracts :tongue:

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
You guys with the money comments are way off. There is one reason and one reason only they would be considering this.

Their TV contracts.

I don't get what you're saying, Van. I said it was all about the money... and that's not in conflict with what you said in the least.

Money = TV contracts. TV Contracts = Money.

It's been that way for the past 40 years.

Did you see us in disagreement somewhere?:huh:

Originally posted by Phan4Ever

I don't get what you're saying, Van. I said it was all about the money... and that's not in conflict with what you said in the least.

Money = TV contracts. TV Contracts = Money.

It's been that way for the past 40 years.

Did you see us in disagreement somewhere?:huh:

I'm talking to those in this thread who think there would be a loss of money from the preseason game take.

Preseason games are chump change when you start talking TV contracts.

I would fully support an 18 game regular season. Season is far too short as it is. I don't want it as bad as the other 3 where training camp begins the day after the big game. However it's far too long of an offseason.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

I'm talking to those in this thread who think there would be a loss of money from the preseason game take.

Preseason games are chump change when you start talking TV contracts.

I would fully support an 18 game regular season. Season is far too short as it is. I don't want it as bad as the other 3 where training camp begins the day after the big game. However it's far too long of an offseason.

VanDolPhan... is on the money. :)

First of all increase roster number by 2. Make it two pre-season as already stated. The hard part is finding what games on the sched. the teams should play. I suggest that the teams play two wilcard games at the end of the season.

forget it guys, it won't happen, They've been talking about this for years and it never happens.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom