Dolphins banking future on Feeley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins banking future on Feeley

dan13

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2185912

Yes, it's very easy to say the Miami Dolphins are taking a risk by making A.J. Feeley their new starting quarterback. And there's certainly a lot of disappointment in not securing Mark Brunell.

The question is: Why Feeley?

Yes, perhaps they could have waited and seen how other quarterback situations shake down around the league  Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner, etc. Those players are proven, but come with higher price tags and several question marks.
Miami hope A.J. Feeley's time in Philly has served him well.
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Sign Tennessee backup Billy Volek? Volek is sharp and has a lot of Jake Delhomme in him, but he has durability questions. The Dolphins went through that with Jay Fiedler. In the Dolphins' eyes  been there, done that.

With Feeley, the Dolphins have a quarterback who is tough and well-built. He was also coached by Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia. Reid along with three assistants  Brad Childress, Marty Morhinweg, Pat Shurmur  are known for their work with quarterbacks. Perhaps no other current staff in the NFL can coach the quarterback position better than the Eagles.

Feeley has a good head on his shoulders for a young quarterback. Another good sign is that he stepped into the stretch drive for the Eagles in 2002 and they still came away with the No. 1 seed going into the postseason. Feeley shows a good feel for the game  especially when he finds his groove. He makes good decisions and knows how to get rid of the ball quickly. Feeley has some things he needs to work out yet and that will come with more time on the field  especially when it comes to finding a rhythm down the field and trusting his touch putting balls over linebackers and past corners on fade routes.

Feeley steps into a new environment with Miami. So things will be different and there will be some growing pains perhaps.

But the Dolphins will spend the rest of their off-season building up the offensive line and finding another target in the passing game to put Feeley in a position to succeed. And having Ricky Williams at running back isn't a bad thing  if he has the holes to run through next season

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a stickler, but it's customary to give the link when you're posting articles from a newspaper.

Originally posted by DeDolfan
it's right at the top. ya know, that long sentence all underlined??!!

:D

The #1 Delaware Fan is a little SASSY today!

:roflmao:

It wasn't before.

Or I'm completely blind. Not sure which. :cooldude:

Good points, and I'll give you another. It goes along with the "getting rid of the ball quickly" angle.

Feeley hardly ever fumbles. During his 5-game starting stint, I think he had one or two fumbles lost. That's solid, and a fair improvement over the status quo.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Good points, and I'll give you another. It goes along with the "getting rid of the ball quickly" angle.

Feeley hardly ever fumbles. During his 5-game starting stint, I think he had one or two fumbles lost. That's solid, and a fair improvement over the status quo.
i disagree 2 fumbles lost in 5 games is not good i dont want to see the qb fumble twice all year let alone 5 games... if he hardly ever fumbles then the 2 fumbles should be for a whole season.. but yes i know he has not played a whole season so we shall see...

The more I talk to Eagles fans about Feeley the more I like this trade. My best friend is an Eagles fan and he thinks that Feeley was a great pickup. Hes a team leader, hes smart and hes a good athlete. And for those who say that Feeley couldnt even beat out Detmer for the 2nd string spot I've heard that Detmer was just 2nd string in games because hes the kick holder and if Mcnabb were to be injured and miss a few games Feeley wouldve started, not Detmer. There are even some Eagles fans who thought Feeley could be just as good as Mcnabb, this is an extreme belief but it does show that Feeley was a liked and valued player in probably the most critical sports town in all of sports. Thats impressive. I think this kid could be GOOD.

Originally posted by BigFinFan

The #1 Delaware Fan is a little SASSY today!

:roflmao:

:D :D I got to much time on my hands right now. Just sittin' around recuperating from achilles surgery. But I'll be ready by opening day tho !! :lol:

Originally posted by KillerJosh373
The more I talk to Eagles fans about Feeley the more I like this trade. My best friend is an Eagles fan and he thinks that Feeley was a great pickup. Hes a team leader, hes smart and hes a good athlete. And for those who say that Feeley couldnt even beat out Detmer for the 2nd string spot I've heard that Detmer was just 2nd string in games because hes the kick holder and if Mcnabb were to be injured and miss a few games Feeley wouldve started, not Detmer. There are even some Eagles fans who thought Feeley could be just as good as Mcnabb, this is an extreme belief but it does show that Feeley was a liked and valued player in probably the most critical sports town in all of sports. Thats impressive. I think this kid could be GOOD.

???? The reason Feeley got those 5 starts 2 yrs ago was when mcNabb went down, Detmer started. The feeley got the call after Detmer also went down. i live around all these Philly fans and most are about as fickle and delrious as they come!! :D
So id that was the case, why didn't Reid move Feeley up to the #1 spot instead of Detmer and leave Detmer as #2 to still hold. besides, if being the holder was all that, why don't they just carry him as a DB instead, let him hold and could still be the QB in an emergency anyway. ;)

Originally posted by KillerJosh373

Actually, I don't have anything to add to this other than I'm not sure whether to laugh at you for being a Free Shoes U fan, or applaud you for being a Dennis Miller fan. :)

Originally posted by DeDolfan

???? The reason Feeley got those 5 starts 2 yrs ago was when mcNabb went down, Detmer started. The feeley got the call after Detmer also went down. i live around all these Philly fans and most are about as fickle and delrious as they come!! :D
So id that was the case, why didn't Reid move Feeley up to the #1 spot instead of Detmer and leave Detmer as #2 to still hold. besides, if being the holder was all that, why don't they just carry him as a DB instead, let him hold and could still be the QB in an emergency anyway. ;)

I think he's refferring to AJ/Koy's status LAST season... not the season prior, when AJ was completely unkown. Last season McNabb was not injured, and according to the Phila media and fans, Detmer was slated as 2nd string LAST year... only because he was the holder. If Detmer was 3rd string, and came in to hold for a PAT or FG... he would have had to stay in the game, and McNabb/Feeley would have had to sit the game out. Again... this is LAST season, when McNabb was not injured. IF he would have been hurt, Feeley would have been "promoted" to starter, with Koy staying at 2nd string.

Are there really rules that stiff for the holder?!?...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by phins054
Are there really rules that stiff for the holder?!?

Finheaven TOS dictates that I do not comment on this one. :D

Originally posted by phins054
Are there really rules that stiff for the holder?!?...:rolleyes:

It's not the fact that he's the holder... it's the fact that whenever a 3rd string QB steps on the field... it automatically benches the 1st & 2nd string QBs, no matter what he was out there to do.
So, if Koy had been listed as 3rd string... as soon as he went out to hold for a kick, he would have had to stay in as the QB, keeping McNabb (and Feeley) out of the game.

Back
Top Bottom