Dolphins battles brewing as OTAs begin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins battles brewing as OTAs begin

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Most Dolphins players have been sweating through workouts and either learning or brushing up on the team’s offense and defense for several weeks.

But in some ways, competition for jobs begin in earnest when the Dolphins on Tuesday hold the first of 10 voluntary “organized team activity” practices.
The team also will hold three mandatory mini-camp practices in mid-June before taking a six-week break until training camp.

Battles are brewing at nearly every position, some at the top of the depth chart, others merely for roster spots. Among the more interesting ones:

### The cornerback spot opposite Brent Grimes. Jamar Taylor enters as something of a front-runner but will be challenged by former Giants starter Zack Bowman and potentially Will Davis, who’s expected back from an ACL injury by the start of training camp.
“Taylor and Davis have a talented skill set,” Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey told WQAM-560. “Zack bring length [he’s 6-1] and a veteran presence.”
Though coach Joe Philbin has said the Dolphins envision free-agent pickup Brice McCain as a slot cornerback, the 5-9 McCain also has experience playing on the boundary. And rookie Bobby McCain will get practice snaps at slot corner behind Brice McCain.

“We like the depth there; you look at the teams we have to play, depth at corner is important,” Mike Tannenbaum, the Dolphins’ president/football operations, told WMEN-640 last week. “Some of those young guys are going to have to play for us.”

### The starter at left guard. Billy Turner is considered the front runner for the right guard spot, but the left guard job is a tossup between Dallas Thomas and rookie Jamil Douglas.

Tannenbaum said “three young guys are competing for two spots.”
That would suggest that free agent pickups J.D. Walton, Jeff Linkenbach and Jacques McClendon are viewed merely as depth, with McClendon in particular far from a cinch to make the roster. Walton projects as Mike Pouncey’s backup at center.
Offensive tackle Jason Fox, filling in at left tackle while Branden Albert works his way back from an ACL injury, also has been getting work at guard, according to the Dolphins.

### The starting linebacker job alongside Jelani Jenkins and Koa Misi. The Dolphins could opt to start Chris McCain, who showed flashes in limited playing time as a rookie, at strong-side linebacker or could go with middle linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, who has started 32 games in four seasons.

If Sheppard ends up starting, Misi could shift outside.
The Dolphins also want to get a long look at four undrafted linebackers: Jeff Luc, Bobby Hull, Neville Hewitt and Zach Vigil, as well as second-year player Jordan Tripp.
“All are productive, all tough and competitive,” Hickey said of the four rookies.

### Roster spots at running back. Jay Ajayi is the front-runner to back up Lamar Miller and could eventually challenge Miller for a starting job.
“He’s kind of underrated; had 50 receptions as well,” Tannenbaum said of Ajayi. “Hopefully he has the ability to be a three-down player.”
But don’t discount Damien Williams; Philbin has praised his work this offseason.

LaMichael James and Mike Gillislee (who spent last season on injured reserve with a hamstring issue) also are competing for what could be one more job, if the Dolphins keep four backs.
### Sorting out defensive tackle. Earl Mitchell is the likely starter alongside Ndamukong Suh, but there’s competition for the No. 3 job among second-rounder Jordan Phillips, Anthony Johnson and A.J. Francis.

“We were very comfortable with Jordan to get him where we did,” Tannenbaum said of the second-round pick who had an inconsistent motor at Oklahoma.
“We were really excited. We think he’s going to come in with Earl Mitchell, Ndamukong Suh — Kamal Johnson is here, Anthony Johnson’s here. We think there’s really good depth there with a chance to earn playing time. But there’s no doubt when you watch [Phillips], he has a ton of ability.”

### Receiver pecking order. It’s clear who the Dolphins’ top four receivers will be: DeVante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills and Greg Jennings.
What must play out is the order; the player who ends up the fourth receiver figures to play less than he’s accustomed.
Rishard Matthews, the No. 5 receiver, is missing voluntary workouts after asking for a trade.

His chances of getting his wish might improve if Matt Hazel, LaRon Byrd or one of several others (such as Alabama’s Christion Jones) has a dynamic next four months.
“I like our depth there; you have to pass to score in this league,” Tannenbaum said.

### Battles for other backup jobs. There’s competition everywhere, from the No. 3 quarterback position if one is even kept (Josh Freeman, McLeod Bethel-Thompson), the No. 3 tight end job (Arthur Lynch, Gerell Williams, Jake Stoneburner, 6-8 rookie Tim Semisch), the fourth safety job (Walt Aikens, Don Jones, Jordan Kovacs, rookie Cedric Thompson), among others. Aikens also has been getting some work at cornerback.

### Kicker: Andrew Franks, a strong-legged rookie from RPI in New York, is Caleb Sturgis' latest challenger.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...attles-brewing-as-otas-begin-um-baseball.html

for starters, I only see a choice between Sheppard and Misi in the middle. Don't see Douglas with a chance,barring injury, and that's about it as we stand.

Having spent a lot of time in the past in Troy & Albany, NY and with my Uncle once being a Chaplin there - I am rooting for Franks.

Not that it's a criticism of Sturgis, but he clearly needs competition. Case in point, Carpenter didn't have competition in the preseason running up his last season in Miami.

Competition is so incredibly important - at all spots, including the QB spot!

for starters, I only see a choice between Sheppard and Misi in the middle. Don't see Douglas with a chance,barring injury, and that's about it as we stand.

Why wouldn't Douglas stand a chance?

idea of sheppard starting at mlb is scary

I remember Caleb Sturgis' first few months as a Fin. He seemed like an automatic machine. And then like that, the switch was flipped and I sweat every time he even goes out there for even chip shot field goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LB and Guard spots will be the 2 that have the biggest outcomes on our season. I will give an edge to McCain and Douglas.

What about the QB position battle....Josh Freeman, at one time, was pretty darn good...could he unseat Matty Moore

What about the QB position battle....Josh Freeman, at one time, was pretty darn good...could he unseat Matty Moore

not with the signing bonus moore got lol

What's this 32 starts the article is referring to? ST?

He started for the Jills and Colts before being a backup here. I wouldn't hate him starting and Jordie Tripp playing along with Jenkins in the nickle and third downs in general.

He started for the Jills and Colts before being a backup here. I wouldn't hate him starting and Jordie Tripp playing along with Jenkins in the nickle and third downs in general.

he started for the Buffalo bills cheerleading squad???

Clabo got 16 "starts" a few years ago.

Great signing he would have been based on those lol

Clabo got 16 "starts" a few years ago.

Great signing he would have been based on those lol

Clabo was also a pretty highly ranked RT at one time as well, but when age hits and it all goes down...some it hits faster then others.

Back
Top Bottom