Dolphins/ Buccaneers primer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins/ Buccaneers primer

SWS84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend the morning practice (for the bucs) at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando.
I was really just looking for something to do and didn't bring any thing to write with or on.
I did notice a few things though...

For starters, Warren Sapp has lost some serious weight and looks to be in great shape for a DT ;) The "D" practiced on a far field that wasn't accessable to most of us so I don't really have much on them.
Mike Alstott is also in great shape and looks to wreak havoc on defenses this year.

Since the offense was practicing on our field and they didn't do any 7 on7 drills or have the "D" line rush them. I can only point out a few general things about the QB's, WR's, and CB's.

I watched all the QB's and it seems Brad Johnson was the main guy. The other's worked also, as they rotated them in and out, but to me it seemed Brad Johnson was the #1 with Rob Johnson being #2, Shawn King #3 and Joe Hamilton #4. I guess, I'm happy about Brad Johnson being #1 because I like Shaun King much much more and think he should be their guy. Maybe in time he will or Rob Johnson will, but as of now it looks like Brad Johnson. I thought all the QB's played well with nicely thrown passes, that had zip and hard to defend. In fact, I noticed T-buck getting beat a few times with nicely thrown passes only the recievers could get. Most of the passes were short to mid range and toward the outside. Typical Gruden style, dink and dunk. On the few passes I saw thrown deep only one stood out, a nice bullet from King to Keshawn in the endzone. Brad Johnson seemed to leave the ball short. Probably has a tired arm like our Lucas.

As far as their receivers go, I will say this, they will be tough to match up against with Keshawn (6'4) and Jurevicius (6'5). Both are projected starters. Both guys played well and caught just about everything thrown their way. The new rookie, Marquise Walker (6'2 from Michigan) also had some nice grabs. The Bucs offense seems to be playing well and I suspect they will be a tough team this year.

I know this isn't much, but I wanted to give a little overview of what I saw. I think we know what to expect of a Gruden run team and can look forward to some tough play from the Bucs this weekend. As for the season, like us, it will depend upon their offensive line and if they can give the QB time and keep him healthy.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Jurevicious projected starter? What about McCardell???

Gruden loves size. He'd be the last coach in the league to take a chance on a schrimp WR. Size matters, according to Gruden, especially in WRs.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Jurevicious projected starter? What about McCardell???

Gruden loves size. He'd be the last coach in the league to take a chance on a schrimp WR. Size matters, according to Gruden, especially in WRs.

You took the words right out of my mouth..McCardell is only going to be a 3rd. Man we could of made him that..I though he went there because he would start...

Originally posted by Dol_Fan5434
Why are you doing a report on the bucs on a fin website????? j/w.......

Don't be offended, thought you might like to read about how I thought they are coming along because we are going to practice this weekend and play against them in our preseason opener Monday.

To tell the truth, I was bored to hell watching them. Come saturday, if I am able to go, that will be a different story because I can then focus on the phins. It's going to be crazy at Disney's Wide World of Sports with fans from both teams being there. I don't think they will be able to handle the crowds unless they expand the seating areas. I'm guessing both teams will be pulling out the stops by trying to win Orlando fans. Tickets are $10.00 adults and $5.00 children.

Originally posted by SWS84

I watched all the QB's and it seems Brad Johnson was the main guy. The other's worked also, as they rotated them in and out, but to me it seemed Brad Johnson was the #1 with Rob Johnson being #2, Shawn King #3 and Joe Hamilton #4.

Thanks for the Buc preview, but . . . isn't Hamilton out for the season with a knee injury? Are you sure you saw Hamilton?

Re: Re: Dolphins/ Buccaneers primer

Originally posted by PhinKev

Thanks for the Buc preview, but . . . isn't Hamilton out for the season with a knee injury? Are you sure you saw Hamilton?

I know I saw four QB's, but wouldn't bet that the forth was Hamilton. I mainly was watching Johnson, Johnson and King and kind of comparing how they measure up to our QB's.

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom