Dolphins building Roster on solid foundations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins building Roster on solid foundations

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Back when I was working on my Masters in Sports Leadership, our prof had us read a book by Pat Riley titled "The Winner Within"... the book was very enjoyable and impacted the way I coached and ran my teams over the years.

There was a passage in the book that reminds me a lot of what we are seeing Grier and McDaniel do in Miami right now. It has to do with a team emphasis and is also about targeting players that they think will fit in well with our system. The passage discussed 'Innocence" and the role it plays in keeping players humble and students of the game (coachable) despite being stars or having success on the field. I've reflected on the values shared by Riley many times over my coaching career and thought you'd enjoy seeing some of it as it relates to our Dolphins. Here is some of the overall philosophy, but "the Innocent Climb" and selflessness are great ideas to build on and they remind me of what we are seeing in Miami:
1682828626863.png

Hearing our coaches speaking to our new players from this draft left an impression on me that our rookies were very appreciative of being selected by the Dolphins. TE Higgins cried the entire call and thanked both Grier and McDaniel over and over for picking him. Achane certainly was humble and appreciative and the room EXPLODED when we took him at 84 overall. He appeared to be holding in emotion along with his Mom during the call. URFA DT Pili made his interview about signing with Miami all about being "grateful" for the Dolphins "giving him a chance"... and even Smith, who had a chance to go in the first round but slid out was happy to be with Miami and eager to join our team. His room also went nuts with his selection. There is a level of appreciation and gratitude that makes us better when it's devoted to a group we are a part of... but selfish players or organizations always miss out on this bonding experience. Appreciative members always dig deeper, support teammates better, and find a way to get the win together. Teams like this always have a deeper level of commitment from players and staff that allows them to achieve on a higher level than those without those qualities.
I'm excited to see how these guys fit into our team philosophy.

The Innocent Climb and how it works:
The key ingredient of success in any person’s life or business career is teamwork. A team of unselfish members, without any impressive history of past successes, will begin an innocent climb to greatness when the team starts achieving something dramatic. When a talented team dedicates itself to acting unselfishly, trusting each other and combining instinct with boldness, it is ready to achieve something spectacular.
Innocence - the ability to trust teammates and the fact they will perform given the chance - is an important step in suppressing territorialism. Innocence is a state of mind that if you give of your best to the team effort, you’ll get your fair share of good fortune over the long haul. Even more powerful is innocence with experience. This occurs when a group of individuals become totally and unequivocally committed to the success of the team, and voluntarily agree to combine efforts and go as far as possible. There is a world of difference between innocence and being naïve. Being naïve means failing to understand what is required to succeed. Being innocent, by contrast, means understanding that everybody needs their own space, but being personally willing to put those personal feelings aside for the good of the team as a whole. Innocence is a positive choice made in the belief that the team can achieve something great.

Higgins on Call with Grier and McDaniel. What do you expect his level of commitment to be in Miami?

Cam Smith

Last edited:
Back when I was working on my Masters in Sports Leadership, our prof had us read a book by Pat Riley titled "The Winner Within"... the book was very enjoyable and impacted the way I coached and ran my teams over the years.

There was a passage in the book that reminds me a lot of what we are seeing Grier and McDaniel do in Miami right now. It has to do with a team emphasis and is also about targeting players that they think will fit in well with our system. The passage discussed 'Innocence" and the role it plays in keeping players humble and students of the game (coachable) despite being stars or having success on the field. I've reflected on the values shared by Riley many times over my coaching career and thought you'd enjoy seeing some of it as it relates to our Dolphins. Here is some of the overall philosophy, but "the Innocent Climb" and selflessness are great ideas to build on and they remind me of what we are seeing in Miami:
View attachment 142088

Hearing our coaches speaking to our new players from this draft left an impression on me that our rookies were very appreciative of being selected by the Dolphins. TE Higgins cried the entire call and thanked both Grier and McDaniel over and over for picking him. Achane certainly was humble and appreciative and the room EXPLODED when we took him at 84 overall. He appeared to be holding in emotion along with his Mom during the call. URFA DT Pili made his interview about signing with Miami all about being "grateful" for the Dolphins "giving him a chance"... and even Smith, who had a chance to go in the first round but slid out was happy to be with Miami and eager to join our team. His room also went nuts with his selection. There is a level of appreciation and gratitude that makes us better when it's devoted to a group we are a part of... but selfish players or organizations always miss out on this bonding experience. Appreciative members always dig deeper, support teammates better, and find a way to get the win together.

The key ingredient of success in any person’s life or business career is teamwork. A team of unselfish members, without any impressive history of past successes, will begin an innocent climb to greatness when the team starts achieving something dramatic. When a talented team dedicates itself to acting unselfishly, trusting each other and combining instinct with boldness, it is ready to achieve something spectacular.
Innocence - the ability to trust teammates and the fact they will perform given the chance - is an important step in suppressing territorialism. Innocence is a state of mind that if you give of your best to the team effort, you’ll get your fair share of good fortune over the long haul. Even more powerful is innocence with experience. This occurs when a group of individuals become totally and unequivocally committed to the success of the team, and voluntarily agree to combine efforts and go as far as possible. There is a world of difference between innocence and being naïve. Being naïve means failing to understand what is required to succeed. Being innocent, by contrast, means understanding that everybody needs their own space, but being personally willing to put those personal feelings aside for the good of the team as a whole. Innocence is a positive choice made in the belief that the team can achieve something great.

Higgins on Call with Grier and McDaniel

Cam Smith

Great post as usual.

View attachment 142088

Hearing our coaches speaking to our new players from this draft left an impression on me that our rookies were very appreciative of being selected by the Dolphins. TE Higgins cried the entire call and thanked both Grier and McDaniel over and over for picking him. Achane certainly was humble and appreciative and the room EXPLODED when we took him at 84 overall. He appeared to be holding in emotion along with his Mom during the call. URFA DT Pili made his interview about signing with Miami all about being "grateful" for the Dolphins "giving him a chance"... and even Smith, who had a chance to go in the first round but slid out was happy to be with Miami and eager to join our team. His room also went nuts with his selection. There is a level of appreciation and gratitude that makes us better when it's devoted to a group we are a part of... but selfish players or organizations always miss out on this bonding experience. Appreciative members always dig deeper, support teammates better, and find a way to get the win together.

Cam Smith

Great Post Mike! TY

I’m very happy that Grier did not mortgage the future draft to go all in and up into the first round or successive rounds like I thought he would. I credit MM for keeping him grounded. Shows me MM plans to be here awhile. Go Fins 🐬 !!
Thanks for your excellent post

I’m very happy that Grier did not mortgage the future draft to go all in and up into the first round or successive rounds like I thought he would. I credit MM for keeping him grounded. Shows me MM plans to be here awhile. Go Fins 🐬 !!
Thanks for your excellent post
I also thought Miami might give up next year's 3rd to move into the 4th.

If some UDFA's work out, the Dolphins could be in pretty good shape.

I still think Grier brings in a veteran offensive lineman.

View attachment 142088

Cam Smith

Super happy for that young man and the Dolphins. I'd hate to be on the clean-up crew after that Champagne celebration! On second thought, if that were my son, I'd gladly scrub down the room....after first giving my best pitch to move that mess to the back yard. :-)

What stood out to me was the emotional responses from players while either talking with or post phone call from Miami's Head Coach and GM. These kids are excited. It even carried into UDFA when player chose Miami over Eleven other offers. Couple all that to players around the league wanting to play for the Dolphins. It says a lot about what these kids think about the city, the team and perhaps even management.

I've had a chance to watch more film, and have to say I'm ok with the OL guys we drafted. Maybe a key FA signing on an OL like Lewan but overall we got some big nasty dudes coming in here and I think the mental makeup we need was nailed by Grier and McDaniel.

I've had a chance to watch more film, and have to say I'm ok with the OL guys we drafted. Maybe a key FA signing on an OL like Lewan but overall we got some big nasty dudes coming in here and I think the mental makeup we need was nailed by Grier and McDaniel.
That was my take about the OL kids Miami signed in UDFA. I really like the chances of a few to make an impression and stick. I also think the PS will be filled with many of these OL guys, developing their craft. I am 100% with you on this.

I expect Hayes and Horst to both make our active roster at some point. Horst is really nasty - mean type player.

Back
Top Bottom