Dolphins | Closely Watching Wright | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins | Closely Watching Wright

so is this guy any good? i dont know much about him... 6'6" 320 and 4.8 is impressive, but how does he play?

Nasty

I thought I read somewhere that what pick you use in the draft you lose the corresponding draft pick in next years draft, does anyone know if this is correct? That would certainly limit teams giving up a 2nd in the sup draft.

MNFINFAN said:
I thought I read somewhere that what pick you use in the draft you lose the corresponding draft pick in next years draft, does anyone know if this is correct? That would certainly limit teams giving up a 2nd in the sup draft.

Yep, that's right. A pick in the supplementary draft would substitute for the same pick (as in round) in next year's draft.

InMyChambers said:
when is the lottery?

*Horrified* Zee goggles! Zey do nothzing!

does anyone have a bio and an analysis of this guy with this strenghts and weaknesses?? thanks...

Nasty

Manuel Wright

Here ya go, all the info on the above person.

I think his appeal is just physical stats and raw potential, not production or desire.

I'm a USC alum and fan. You've got to realize Manny Wright wasn't a starter and it's difficult for me to make absolute judgements on him based on so little playing time. He was only on the team in 2003 and 2004 and Cody and Patterson played ahead of him.

Wright always looked like the guy who probably had the most raw ability but took plays off and preferred to loop a blocker or beat him with a quick move than battle nose to nose. I've reviewed a few USC tapes I saved and he definitely doesn't use leverage or his hands as well as the other USC linemen. Still, he is very quick and made some big plays when enthused, specifically in the Rose Bowl vs. Michigan in 2003 and last year when we held off Cal.

I'm not sure Wright is the self-motivated type player who Saban prefers. You would never confuse him with a Matt Roth. Besides taking plays off, Wright has always had academic problems. I remember he was highly touted when we recruited him but he couldn't pass the SAT and took a year off, enrolling somewhere else. It might have been a junior college. The USC football blog I frequent had many threads regarding Wright's academic problems since last fall. The defensive line coach left to become head coach at Mississippi and supposedly Wright sulked at his departure and stopped attending class. He had to take a high credit load and pass almost everything to retain eligibility and it didn't look like he was going to manage.

I wouldn't invest higher than a 3rd.

Would we rather have Wright or Crowder? Because if we give up a 3rd for him, we might be missing out on the Crowder of next year. I know very little about Wright, but in that perspective, he'd better be something special. My opinion is that this isn't a Saban move. Using a high draft choice on a kid with some lack of motivation? I'd be surprised.

Who else would know him better other than his position coach than the OL coach of USC

That USC coach I am alluding to, is currently on staff with the Dolphins. He is the former OL coach at USC. Miami also has the dl coach formally with the 49ers. Someone knows something there. We pursue him and that will tell you one thing, we do not and that will tell you something else.

Lee2000

Your post is very confusing, but your avatar soothes me. Thank you.

A. When is the Sup draft?

B. Id be shocked if we spend a first day pick on this guy. Picking at the top of each round, Id look for Saban to try and get this guy on the cheap in the fifth or sixth. Otherwise, my guess is that he'll pass.

Back
Top Bottom