Dolphins cutting Kyle Van Noy is team either playing checkers (bad) or chess (exciting) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins cutting Kyle Van Noy is team either playing checkers (bad) or chess (exciting)

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
What a steaming pile of dreck.

Since when is it bad form or a mistake to cut a player who didn't live up to expectations, regardless of when the deal was signed? Also, the deal was clearly structured with "better to end the relationship a year early than a year late" in mind and not a surprise to anyone it could go that direction.

The comments from KVN, post this news, indicate he was banking more on his relationship with Flores than on his play on the field.

What a steaming pile of dreck.

Since when is it bad form or a mistake to cut a player who didn't live up to expectations, regardless of when the deal was signed? Also, the deal was clearly structured with "better to end the relationship a year early than a year late" in mind and not a surprise to anyone it could go that direction.

The comments from KVN, post this news, indicate he was banking more on his relationship with Flores than on his play on the field.
I'm wondering if his relationship with Flores might have been part of the reason...

Could it be that Flores thought Van Noy was a bit of a brown-noser?

Well, If there's one unit that has improve every year since Flo has been here it's defense. So, I'm going to give them room with whatever decision they make on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
There's a few ways to look at it, but we won't have all the answers until after the draft.

Is Miami making room for a potential big trade like Watson? Is the $10 million essentially a trade for an equal talent on offense?

I thought Van Noy had a good year. He made some big plays, but Ginkel's development may have had something to do with it as well.

Will be interesting to see how all the pieces come together.

Another wrench is that cap space a year ago wasn't the premium it is now. The cap was expected to be something like $40m higher. But here we are and that extra $10m is worth a lot more when it's taking up a bigger percentage of the overall pie.

I think this is more about playing chess than playing checkers. Van Noy gave Miami exactly the same production he gave New England in the past. Miami seems to now employ a younger man's development game with its players. Bring in the vets and let the young pups develop. Thankfully VanGinkle developed to the point, where Van Noy became expendable. So Miami moved on and saved lots of money in the process.

Van Noy is also about to turn 30 and may not continue to play at the level he's done, up to this point. I give him credit for playing hurt. But Flores obviously feels it was time to move on at a cost of $15m for one season. The money can now be better utilized to further Develop the team and players. I believe, this was a cost conscious decision with an eye on both the future and present day dynamics of the team. JMO!!!

Last edited:
Where no different than any other team. Last year when he was signed i doubt any team knew the cap was going down. I look at this as a pandemic cut just like there are going to be many others. KVN just happens to be the major one from us. Would we of cut him this year if last year was a normal year. Who knows I don’t think we would of. This year is going to be a weird year with more cuts than normal.

I think we are in a unique year. The cap is really low. Alot of teams are going to have to cut players. Getting the right amount of bang for your buck is going to be very important. I think it's going to be a buyer's market with alot of FA signing cheap one year deals to just have a job. If we were in a normal year, I think we keep Van Noy. But they probably looked and thought that he wasn't worth what they were going to pay him or basically that they could get the same production for cheaper on the open market this offseason. I didn't like it at first, but the more I think about it, it might be brilliant.

Considering since 2019, every move has looked more like chess the checkers with these two...I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe they are also expecting his injury history to continue to be an issue as well, from what the team doctors may have told them. If that is the case, then it is better to have just cut our losses and put that money to better use. I just hope we are gearing for a big move.

Back
Top Bottom