Dolphins face delicate balance this summer with T.J. McDonald | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins face delicate balance this summer with T.J. McDonald

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins knew exactly what they were getting into when they signed safety T.J. McDonald to a one-year deal via free agency in March.

They liked McDonald’s skills enough to add him to their roster, even though the safety is facing an eight-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. The ruling followed an incident in May 2016 in which he was suspected of driving under the influence of prescription drugs. McDonald pleaded no contest to a lesser charge in January.
http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...and-preseason-balance-ahead-with-t-j-mcdonald

Well, he certainly is saying all the right things. I look forward to seeing him and Jones together down the stretch

Does anyone know if this was like his 3rd or 4th offense, or if the nfl just deemed his DUI offense so egregious as to suspend him on the first violation?

Im hoping its the latter, since the former would imply the guy just cant get his act together. Hopefully he had one bad incident and can move on and help us with a playoff run....in which case this will be a great pickup.

Does anyone know if this was like his 3rd or 4th offense, or if the nfl just deemed his DUI offense so egregious as to suspend him on the first violation?

Im hoping its the latter, since the former would imply the guy just cant get his act together. Hopefully he had one bad incident and can move on and help us with a playoff run....in which case this will be a great pickup.

"An eight-game suspension is a little outside the NFL norm for DUI cases. Recent suspensions in similar cases have typically been of the two-game variety. McDonald has no known history of substance abuse issues."

I feel like the fact that he wrecked into a car played a part in his stricter punishment(though I feel like all DUI charges should be a one year suspension regardless of the player, how long they've been in league, etc.. honestly, there is no excuse for it). Not appealing the time length, saying the right things, knowing what he did was stupid and put lives at risk and now focusing on bettering himself as a human and a football player seems to show he learned, time will tell though.

McDonald got 8 game suspension because of violating the leagues substance abuse policy after he had gotten his DUI. He and his lawyer pled down the charge and in turn agreed not to petition the league for a lesser suspension.

McDonald got 8 game suspension because of violating the leagues substance abuse policy after he had gotten his DUI. He and his lawyer pled down the charge and in turn agreed not to petition the league for a lesser suspension.

So he failed a test after the initial DUI? I can't find any definitive news that reports anything other than the DUI...this story here is a bit ambiguous...but does note the plea you mentioned
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/29/15115318/tj-mcdonald-suspension-los-angeles-rams-free-agent
McDonald, 26, started 53 games over four seasons with the Rams after he was selected in the third round of the 2013 NFL draft. While Yates doesn’t specify why McDonald was suspended, it’s likely due to a driving under the influence arrest in May 2016.

In January, McDonald pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of reckless driving involving drugs or alcohol.

Anyway, here's hoping he's back on track.

I'm guessing an appeal will at least occur. It seems like a pretty harsh penalty for a first time offender of any kind.

It's weird that more details aren't available which leads me to believe there might be more to it and maybe he took to the 8 games to avoid a year. If that's the case then no appeal will occur. It also means it was something more involved than weed or prescription meds.

I'm guessing an appeal will at least occur. It seems like a pretty harsh penalty for a first time offender of any kind.

No appeal. It's 8 games.

So he failed a test after the initial DUI? I can't find any definitive news that reports anything other than the DUI...this story here is a bit ambiguous...but does note the plea you mentioned
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/29/15115318/tj-mcdonald-suspension-los-angeles-rams-free-agent

Yes, he violated the leagues substance abuse policy. He pled to a lesser charge and would not fight the 8 game suspension. He probably would have gotten a year otherwise.

Last edited:
I hope McDonald has the range to play free safety if given the opportunity. I don't think that's been his game. But he can make plays and be a tough guy.

Nate Allen was a guy I liked coming out of the draft but he hasn't met expectations. Off memory, I think he struck me as having good range and hips for FS. Maybe there's a sliver of hope that he figures it out.

Posted way back when we first signed him that his agent said no appeal was coming and he had a prior incident that Fisher briefly alluded to with the Rams.

Back
Top Bottom