Dolphins Final Cuts | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Final Cuts

Only player I hated seeing get waived today was Hazel. Hopefully we get him back.

It was probably between keeping Matt Hazel and WR Damian Williams.

We probably chose WR Damian Williams because..

1) WR Damian Williams was an experienced punt returner in college (USC), and even scored some touchdowns returning punts. Keeping Damian Williams made it easier to cut Marcus Thigpen.

2) WR Damian Williams does everything Matt Hazel does, but Damian Williams can also consistently catch the deep ball in stride. Matt Hazel is more of a possession receiver (his draft profile describes him as a "limited vertical threat"). And since we already have Brandon Gibson and Jarvis Landry, Matt Hazel became expendable.

3) There's a chance that we can stash Matt Hazel on the practice squad. But we don't have that option with Damian Williams.

Therefore, it made sense to choose Damian Williams over Matt Hazel for the final 53.

For the 4th RB on the roster, you're not going to get Adrian Peterson.

For the 4th RB on the roster, you just want an inexpensive guy who can step in if needed.

Darkwa is a decent 4th RB.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim...rd_Burst/a1843180-4609-4291-bbe6-578cc027288a

i just want something nfl caliber...not too much to ask...that's run of the mill bargain basement stuff...but i'm not gonna argue about it cause i doubt it will be here long or will play any meaningful snaps for us

Last edited by a moderator:

1) WR Damian Williams was an experienced punt returner in college (USC), and even scored some touchdowns returning punts. Keeping Damian Williams made it easier to cut Marcus Thigpen.

2) WR Damian Williams does everything Matt Hazel does, but Damian Williams can also consistently catch the deep ball in stride. Matt Hazel is more of a possession receiver (his draft profile describes him as a "limited vertical threat"). And since we already have Brandon Gibson and Jarvis Landry, Matt Hazel became expendable.

3) There's a chance that we can stash Matt Hazel on the practice squad. But we don't have that option with Damian Williams.

Therefore, it made sense to choose Damian Williams over Matt Hazel for the final 53.

Sounds like some logical thinking to me.

Am I reading the cuts right? Jordan and Jones were cut? Or am I misreading? Never mind. Yeah I misread.

Don't forget #4 ..... Matt Hazel is Matt Hazel.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 22s
Besides Omar Brown, Patriots tried out McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Armon Binns, Deveron Carr, Jermelle Cudjo, Hebron Fangupo, Cam Henderson..

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 22s
Besides Omar Brown, Patriots tried out McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Armon Binns, Deveron Carr, Jermelle Cudjo, Hebron Fangupo, Cam Henderson..

Binns won't make it past Cleveland on the waiver wire I think..

You best get your eatin', boozin' and lovin' in before noon cuz you're gonna have your hands full after that.

(Maybe your compatriot won't be so indolent today, eh?)

2lxjzx3-1.jpg

Binns won't make it past Cleveland on the waiver wire I think..

You best get your eatin', boozin' and lovin' in before noon cuz you're gonna have your hands full after that.

(Maybe your compatriot won't be so indolent today, eh?)

2lxjzx3-1.jpg

I am pretty sure Binns is a FA now. He was released on Thursday and cleared waivers.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 1m
The #Dolphins plan to sign QB Seth Lobato to the practice squad at 12:01pm today. He's Miami's third arm to begin 2014.

The top players I'd claim if I'm Dennis Hickey are LBer Andrew Jackson, CB Brandon Harris, S Kenny Ladler, RB Henry Josey & OG Ryan Seymour

Omar's list.

I am not crazy about Labato as the PS QB. However, with ten players on the PS, I might look for a 4th QB.

Matt Hazel, Garrison Smith, Kamal Johnson and Kevin Fogg are names I would like to see the team take a longer look at.

Give Kacy Rodgers any "red meat" and he has a chance to develop them. Dan Campbell has done well too.

We certainly are. The tackle play we had last year was HORRIBLE. You'd be hard pressed to look around the NFL in the past ten years and find a pair of tackles worse than Jon Martin and Tyson Clabo. Our team had its worst rushing season in franchise history in part because we couldn't block anyone. We gave up the franchise record for sacks because we couldn't block anyone. We wound up with a QB who was hit even more than he was sacked because we couldn't block anyone. Busted hand, busted shoulder, busted knee by the end of the year. You can put some blame on the OC, on the QB, on the TEs, and on the RBs, but most of that was squarely on the OL, and more than anyone, on the tackles. It hurt just to watch that cut-up of pressures and sacks, Clabo was so damn bad.

I guarantee the pass protection will be better. It will be a lot better. Tackle situation has improved a thousand-fold, defenses won't know from the damn snap count whether it's a run or a pass, Moreno can actually pick up blitzes, Dion Sims has improved his blocking, and maybe we won't have as many tells on the snap (bye bye, Mr. Jerry). But I don't think our OL is going to be good. Colledge is not a particularly good player and Shelley Smith probably isn't either. Satele is not good.

Oh, and I believe we will run the ball more, especially on the read option, and also put Ryan Tannehill on the move a lot more -- so that will mask some of our deficiencies.

McKinney wasnt much better in hindsight. The biggest improvement with him was that if he got bullrushed he wasn't flat on his back 2 seconds later. He couldn't get out to pick up blitzes though (which once opposing defenses caught on to, they blitzed more). I was actually shocked at how many people were in favor of bringing him or Clabo back.

Honestly if all goes how we think/hope, the only question mark for the next few years will be RG. Colledge is solid enough to be a stop gap for a year until Billy Turner shores up the technique. But even now, it's nice to see the RBs getting a few yards in preseason rather than constantly having somebody on them before they touch the ball.

Now the one thing I'll disagree with you on is Delmas/Clemmons. IF (big if) Delmas stays healthy he's a much better player than Clemmons. Clemmons is a solid safety and there's nothing wrong with being "boring" but he had a lot of physical limitations.

Back
Top Bottom