Dolphins Future Plans With Tannehill? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Future Plans With Tannehill?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Seattle won the SB with Wilson, and paid him nothing. His contract is up next year, and that will change, as they will not be able to keep other key guys ith a BIG QB contract, as the Ravens found out. The salary cap is designed to hurt VG teams in order to keep parity.

Our Dolphins are going to be facing the same problem IF Tannehill plays as I believe he is going to. His contract has one more year than Wilson as a 1st rounder but, all teams do their best to project out for 3 years, and plan accordingly.

RT is a FA after next year, and the signings we made last year seem to plan for that, as our big FA signings will be able to be cut or traded with no cap problems.

As per Pollian, who had many years of dealing with this with Peyton, when you pay a QB the big contract you can only pay 9 or 10 other players what they are worth. The rest of the team has to be filled out with rookie or minimum contracts, and the "mid class FA" who get $3-4M on a one year deal and then you have to do the same to replace them.

Knowing this makes a difference in what we do this year and the next in FA, and who we keep of our own. IF RT is the answer, we may wish to extend after this year or must do so after next year.

With all this in mind, name 10 players or positions you would want to pay in the next year or two IF that was the best we could do?

RUSSELL WILSON IS GOING NOWHERE.

yeah, the ravens fell for flake-o being the bet qb ever to play in any sport and gave all of their salaries combined, but this isnt going to happen in seattle.

why? because russell wilson doesnt want to. he is a team guy and knows you have to have great players around you, the money cant be tied up in one guy. wilson is one of those guys who would play for free. yeah, hes gonna get bank, and he deserves it! hes a great kid and heck of football player, he'll get his. but, he and the seattle brass are not going to go baltimore on his contract.

i am so-so on tanny right now. he didnt improve near as he should have. as the coaches thought he should have. but, i want to see what he looks like with a good o-line in front of him. heck, even a decent o-line. if he is still the same 'ol tanny as we have seen since december of 2012, then i would not give him the bank. not at all.

Cam Wake: Premium for guys who can get to the QB
J. Odrick and Randy Starks: Strong interior D line guys to help stuff the run and get a little pressure up the middle
Brent Grimes: Playmaking, shut down corner
Wallace: Playmaker who can score on any touch
Pouncey: The only good O lineman we have
Clay: Playmaker who can break tackles
Gibson: Good slot guy who showed chemistry with Tannehill before he was injured

Can't think of other guys on the current roster worth paying. Need money to help fill other holes like O line, LB, safeties, TE seam threat, RB.

Well assuming we are not going to win the SB by the time it comes to pay RT why would he be worth the BIG money??????

Interesting stat I heard yesterday. BRADY and Manning 0 - 4 in their last SB appearances.

5 stars in both sides of the ball would be nice.. We don't have that though

Yeah, and I don't see many young guys we have getting big deals. I'm guessing Pouncey (if he gets over legal issues), Clay, maybe Odrick, and we'll see on Ellerbe and Jordan. Guys like Grimes, Starks, Soliai, and Wake are 30 already, and in 2 years will be questionable at best.

It's amazing, and somewhat depressing that I cannot come up wit 10 players on this roster I absolutely have to keep for 2 years from now.

The key to real success is drafting new guys and having some rookie contracts with guys that are performing at a high level. Without some success there nothing else will matter.
We can't be having rookie's not contributing.

Well assuming we are not going to win the SB by the time it comes to pay RT why would he be worth the BIG money??????

Interesting stat I heard yesterday. BRADY and Manning 0 - 4 in their last SB appearances.

We would not have to, we could go back to another 20 year search. lol

On the other side, to follow your thought, Grimes, Starkes, and Soliai were all great to VG this pat year, and we won 8 games. Is there any reason to pay them big bucks?

We would not have to, we could go back to another 20 year search. lol

On the other side, to follow your thought, Grimes, Starkes, and Soliai were all great to VG this pat year, and we won 8 games. Is there any reason to pay them big bucks?

Keeping Grimes at all cost should be top 3 priority this offseason. Behind improving the OL and improving the OL.
I would be willing to sacrifice Starks or Soliai to build the line on the other side of the ball.

Keeping Grimes at all cost should be top 3 priority this offseason. Behind improving the OL and improving the OL.
I would be willing to sacrifice Starks or Soliai to build the line on the other side of the ball.

Why keep Grimes? He had a Fabulous year but, we still won 8 games. Paying a 30 year old guy maybe $11M for an 8-8 team does not make sense. It most definitely would for a SB contender. Do you think we are a legit contender?

Why is it such a given that we will have to pay Tannehill such megabucks to keep him?

HE is a great guy and team player and is not massively overhyped by the NFL PC spin machine and the media, the way certain other QB's not named Manning we have seen in the last 24 hours are.

He will want to be in Miami for his whole career and I believe he will stay on here and be very easy to work with.

Why is it such a given that we will have to pay Tannehill such megabucks to keep him?

HE is a great guy and team player and is not massively overhyped by the NFL PC spin machine and the media, the way certain other QB's not named Manning we have seen in the last 24 hours are.

He will want to be in Miami for his whole career and I believe he will stay on here and be very easy to work with.

It's FAR from a given, just what I believe will happen. IF not, we wait for another for who knows how many more years?

Why keep Grimes? He had a Fabulous year but, we still won 8 games. Paying a 30 year old guy maybe $11M for an 8-8 team does not make sense. It most definitely would for a SB contender. Do you think we are a legit contender?

Why keep Grimes?

Because he is not

Sean smith
Bennie Sapp
RJ Stanford
Nolan Carrol (played well late)
Richard Marshall
Dimitri Patterson (high cap hit this season played well when healthy)

Without Grimes we are not even 8-8. I dont think he gave up one TD pass.

If we let Tannenhill go .Then we either have to find a replacement via free agency. In which I hate most free agent Qb's unless they are spectacular. In which case you may be paying more than what you had or you seriously downgraded the position. Then if you skip that route. You would be back at square one looking for the centrepiece. Qb is most important position and we have spent last 2 yrs developing the best. Qb we have had since Marino. I cant see the kid going anywhere!

you sign him to a reasonable contract for what he has accomplished. I would probably say from 11M-14M unless he lays and egg or plays spectacular.You keep a guy like grimes because if you wanna improve from 8-8 you retain the players who did good and replace the ones who played poorly.

Back
Top Bottom