Dolphins Future Plans With Tannehill? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Future Plans With Tannehill?

Big danger in Tannehill improving just enough for overboard projections going forward, and then he naturally regresses to his normal and long established level. I count college because he played in a weak defensive league yet was hardly special.

We can't be stupid enough to pay Tannehill money he hasn't earned and won't live up to. One season is hardly enough when it attaches to a background like his, a guy who turned 23 years old before entering his first season as full time college starter at quarterback.

Nobody on the roster is worth big money long term. A little cornerback who is already 30+ can't be allowed to shape the salary cap realities. Let's hope a year from now we have at least 1 or 2 guys who are undeniable stars out of the draft, not hyped homer mush.

Otherwise, I agree with NRA that Russell Wilson will probably be a comparative bargain for Seattle. Flacco-type reference points won't apply.

RUSSELL WILSON IS GOING NOWHERE.

yeah, the ravens fell for flake-o being the bet qb ever to play in any sport and gave all of their salaries combined, but this isnt going to happen in seattle.

why? because russell wilson doesnt want to. he is a team guy and knows you have to have great players around you, the money cant be tied up in one guy. wilson is one of those guys who would play for free. yeah, hes gonna get bank, and he deserves it! hes a great kid and heck of football player, he'll get his. but, he and the seattle brass are not going to go baltimore on his contract.

i am so-so on tanny right now. he didnt improve near as he should have. as the coaches thought he should have. but, i want to see what he looks like with a good o-line in front of him. heck, even a decent o-line. if he is still the same 'ol tanny as we have seen since december of 2012, then i would not give him the bank. not at all.

Wilson also has a lot of money to make in endorsements, and I agree that he doesn't seem like the greedy type. Every time a Seahawk is interviewed (and it comes up), they're very outspoken about how much fun they have and how much they enjoy playing in Seattle. That team is going to continue to get bargain FA's and continue to keep players at discounted rates. I'm not talking about pennies on the dollar but VERY team friendly deals. These are people, and a good percentage of people would take less money - assuming it's still good money - to work at a place where they're happy. If someone said to you (not addressing you specifically, NRA), you can have 10 mil to work at a place where life is a grind and your positive moments are few and far between or 7 mil to work at a place you love, I know which one I'd take.

This is where good drafting comes into play...

As free agent contract continue to go up it is going to be necessary for team to draft well and have their players contribute and play well during their rookie contract. Seattle has done this very well and Miami has not. If the Gm can draft well and bring in guys who can have an impact during those initial contracts then you are able to pay 10 or so special "franchise players" to stay with the team. It may mean a lot of turnover, but that is going to be the way o the new NFL.

I'm not sure many follow baseball, but it how the Tampa Bay Rays have built their organization...operating under a very limited payroll they have had to use role players and young guys in order to compete, unfortunately may of the elite talent they develop ends up going else where when ti is time to sign a big contract. It works for them because their GM and coach are brilliant at finding good prospects and having them contribute...I get the feeling many NFL team will eventually go this route.

What does this mean for Tannehill? He needs to become one of those elite guys and you need a gM who can bring in young guys to contribute around him...

This is where good drafting comes into play...

As free agent contract continue to go up it is going to be necessary for team to draft well and have their players contribute and play well during their rookie contract. Seattle has done this very well and Miami has not. If the Gm can draft well and bring in guys who can have an impact during those initial contracts then you are able to pay 10 or so special "franchise players" to stay with the team. It may mean a lot of turnover, but that is going to be the way o the new NFL.

I'm not sure many follow baseball, but it how the Tampa Bay Rays have built their organization...operating under a very limited payroll they have had to use role players and young guys in order to compete, unfortunately may of the elite talent they develop ends up going else where when ti is time to sign a big contract. It works for them because their GM and coach are brilliant at finding good prospects and having them contribute...I get the feeling many NFL team will eventually go this route.

What does this mean for Tannehill? He needs to become one of those elite guys and you need a gM who can bring in young guys to contribute around him...

Seattle is probably more specific with their draft criteria than any other team in the NFL - from character to physical traits. I think that's how you do it. Rather than expanding your pool of players, you limit it. If player X has Y and Z, he'll work for us - nevermind Q and R. I feel like too many teams are evaluating the entire alphabet, rather than breaking things down into simpler, more digestible criteria. This highlights the importance of the relationship between coach and GM. I guarantee that more coaches and GM's will be hanging out after Seattle's success.

Seattle is probably more specific with their draft criteria than any other team in the NFL - from character to physical traits. I think that's how you do it. Rather than expanding your pool of players, you limit it. If player X has Y and Z, he'll work for us - nevermind Q and R. I feel like too many teams are evaluating the entire alphabet, rather than breaking things down into simpler, more digestible criteria. This highlights the importance of the relationship between coach and GM. I guarantee that more coaches and GM's will be hanging out after Seattle's success.

Exactly...we have heard the term vision and building to that vision, but we have yet to see Miami build to any vision (or if they even have one). It will be imperative that teams do this as it will be the only way to construct a roster that is competitive and financially sound. It was obvious that Ireland and Philbin did not share a vision as the players acquired last off-season did not fit either the ZBS/WCO or the 4-3....it is as if the front office was operating independently from the team. to use the grocery metaphor....Philbin wanted to make steak and Lobster and Ireland bought lamb and shrimp....the ingredients did not fit the meal plan...

Back
Top Bottom