Dolphins hire Daronte Jones as asst DB's coach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins hire Daronte Jones as asst DB's coach

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 15s15 seconds ago
#Dolphins are adding Wisconsin DBs coach Daronte Jones as asst DBs coach, source said.

1528660jpgw620h413fitmax-1.jpg

As a very close follower of Wisconsin football I'm thoroughly meh on this hire.

Dave Aranda is a defensive genius who disguises coverages incredibly and whose scheme gives QBs very little time to make decisions. The Badger DBs turned it on late in the season, but had difficulty getting their heads around to find the football a lot throughout the year.

I won't miss him as a Badger coach. I'd actually prefer hiring Jim Leonhard to replace him.

UW defensive backs adjust to new coverage techniques

Working for a new position coach generally forces even veteran players to work through a transitional period that can be tumultuous.

New coaches can bring philosophies, teaching methods and techniques that differ, sometimes significantly, from those of their predecessor.

Daronte' Jones, two games into his first season as Wisconsin's secondary coach, has brought change to UW's defensive backs.

"I think we all have benefited in the defensive backfield," senior cornerback Darius Hillary said this week as UW prepared to host Troy at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. "Coach Jones is a great coach and he understands the game of football and he has taught us a lot of different techniques."
Perhaps the most noteworthy change under Jones is a technique UW's cornerbacks are not using: lean and locate.

Defensive backs in college and the NFL use the technique, particularly on deep sideline routes. The goal is to lean back into the receiver and subtly restrict his path down the field.

"I know I was taught that when I was younger," Jones said, "lean on the receiver and cut the receiver off."

Jones doesn't teach the technique because he wants the defensive backs to be in better position to attack the ball in the air.

"It is difficult for a defensive back to become the wide receiver when he is leaning and locating," Jones said.

Jones explained that quarterbacks and receivers have countered the lean-and-locate technique in two ways. One is with the back-shoulder throw. The other is for the receiver to locate the ball first, let the defensive back past him, sometimes with a gentle shove, and then elevate to catch the ball.

"If you are leaning and locating you can't attack the ball at its highest point," Jones said. "You're off-balance.

"I just try to stress to become the receiver. And if you were a receiver and the ball was in the air, would you lean and locate? Or would you stay vertical and attack the ball at its highest point?"

Hillary noticed the difference immediately in practice.

"When you lean into the guy you tend to drop your arms," he said. "You're not pumping your arms as much and you're worried about him instead of worrying about the ball."
Read the rest at http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badg...overage-techniques-b99578482z1-328135001.html

Back
Top Bottom