Dolphins LB Raekwon McMillan reportedly facing another battle to start | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins LB Raekwon McMillan reportedly facing another battle to start

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Watching Grugiers film, it’s obvious he can play the run, if he can play the pass effectively, Raekwon could very well lose his starting role.

I don't know that it matters who ends up getting the starting nod. Technically McMillan was a starter last season and was on the field less than half the time. Whether he starts or not that's bound to decrease this year with all the options Flores now has at his disposal. I wouldn't be surprised to see Flores go 6 deep in his rotation with Van Noy and Baker being the only ones out there on most every play.

McMillan would have been a great pick 10-15 years ago. He simply isn’t a 3 down LB. The guys we added in FA will definitely end up taking some of his reps. At this point I am just hoping Baker improves in year 3 and we extend him during the off-season.

Wrote this is another thread, I think he shows out this year especially against the patriots, that team is gonna try and build a massive running attack with Newton, and I think Raekwon is especially good at filling gaps, taking on blocks in those gaps and really cracking people heads open when he does, have a feeling he’s gonna hurt some folks this year..

I think whether he is still with the Dolphins after the 2020 season will totally depend on what type of money he will want to remain in Miami as a two down LB. I think there will be a market for him in free agency simply because he has shown to be effective against the run. While LB’s who can cover the pass seem to be more in demand in the NFL, there is always a spot for an excellent run stopping LB. It will just come down to how much money he wants and what the Dolphins are willing to pay him.
‘I would like to see the Dolphins sign him to a new contract if the price is right but it won’t surprise me if they let him walk in free agency because they prefer LB’s who are better in pass coverage than he is.

I don't know, I suspect there is always a need to an inside LB that can actually...well hit and tackle.

He has limitations but all players do, coaches need to put him in a position to succeed not fail.

LB position is getting hard and harder with this spread offense.. less lb and more DB.. I dont think he will be here next yr.
Great point @39wildman , a lot of teams are playing glorified safeties as their LB's these days, and most teams are playing with only 1 or 2 LB's on most downs. The days of the thumper are numbered. Hill is more of that new sort of LB, as is Baker. But, in this Patriot's defense, everyone needs to stop the run and tackle, so those light guys need to prove they have strength and tackling. Raekwon has both. But Raekwon is a true liability in coverage, so that 's going to be the deciding factor whether he gets a big offer elsewhere, or no offers.

In a standard 3-4 set I expect McMillian to see a lot of snaps. When Miami goes to a nickle, dime or 4-3 set i'm not sure who the linebackers might be.

Back
Top Bottom