Dolphins may take an OT in the Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins may take an OT in the Draft

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
[mod]Draft news belongs in the draft forum![/mod]

Dolphins | May look to improve the offensive line with their first pick
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:04:11 -0800
Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post,Miami Dolphins may look to the offensive line with their first pick in the April NFL Draft. Fortunately for the Dolphins, more quality prospects play offensive tackle more than any other offensive line position in the draft. Clearly, such a pick wouldn't be as alluring or intriguing as the Dolphins taking a running back or quarterback. Should the Dolphins decide to pick an offensive tackle, the player most likely to still be available will be former Southern California OT Winston Justice.

right now any position is possible but the only position we would draft that high is LT. I don't see us drafting a o-linemen that high, I don't beleive in draft OL that high

nick1 said:
right now any position is possible but the only position we would draft that high is LT. I don't see us drafting a o-linemen that high, I don't beleive in draft OL that high

There isnt really a big need to differentiate between LT and RT in the draft. They are Tackles. Miami likes bigger, stronger drive blocker type players who on alot of teams would be RT, but shouldnt be ruled out for LT in Miami.

There is alot of depth at tackle in the draft. I'm of the mind that you take "skill" players in the 1st round unless the lineman is of exceptional talent i.e. D'Brick, Gallery, etc.

Disgustipate said:
There isnt really a big need to differentiate between LT and RT in the draft. They are Tackles. Miami likes bigger, stronger drive blocker type players who on alot of teams would be RT, but shouldnt be ruled out for LT in Miami.

There is a big difference b/w a LT and RT. LTs need to be much quicker, just as strong, and is usually blocking the opposing teams best pash rusher and protecting the QBs blind side. A quality LT is much more difficult to come by than is a solid RT.

SCall13 said:
There is a big difference b/w a LT and RT. LTs need to be much quicker, just as strong, and is usually blocking the opposing teams best pash rusher and protecting the QBs blind side. A quality LT is much more difficult to come by than is a solid RT.

Usually there is a difference, but not so much in Miami.

Alot of teams dont have LTs who are 320+ pounds. Miami likely will. The team seems much more interested in physical ability and strength then it is footwork, mentality, and technique at this point, because all of those things can be taught.

It's not unlikely for Miami to have someone like Marcus McNeil, a RT for alot of people, as a LT for Miami.

just pick up a left handed qb and we will be ok with a good RT. they're so much easier to come by.

we are gunna do the wait and see who messed up in the draft, if cutler falls we take him if huff falls we take him, if chad is there we take him, if any of the oline are available take them, we wont know until the clock is on us.

nick1 said:

That's why you gotta love these news releases these tools in the media put out. If you look hard enough you'll see a release about the Phins possibly being interested in every player and position that may be available at pick #16.

These sports journalists are a friggin riot!

Winston Justice will probably go around the 10th pick. If he's still there at 16 it's a no-brainer. CB, S, DT, LB, or OT are all possibilities.

MiamiMan147 said:
Winston Justice will probably go around the 10th pick. If he's still there at 16 it's a no-brainer. CB, S, DT, LB, or OT are all possibilities.

IMO we should trade up, grab some exta picks. There is alot of talent in Round 1 that moving up wouldn't hurt us. I wouldn't be suprised if a team like the Colts for example want to trade up to grab a RB.

FinAtic8480 said:
Dolphins | May look to improve the offensive line with their first pick
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:04:11 -0800
Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post,Miami Dolphins may look to the offensive line with their first pick in the April NFL Draft. Fortunately for the Dolphins, more quality prospects play offensive tackle more than any other offensive line position in the draft. Clearly, such a pick wouldn't be as alluring or intriguing as the Dolphins taking a running back or quarterback. Should the Dolphins decide to pick an offensive tackle, the player most likely to still be available will be former Southern California OT Winston Justice.

This is another one of those KFFL blurbs that really say nothing more than some reporter speculating something practically every dolfan has already thought.

Personally, I feel they won't touch an OT before round 3, or possibly round 2 if one falls to them that they like.

newlownorder said:
IMO we should trade up, grab some exta picks. There is alot of talent in Round 1 that moving up wouldn't hurt us. I wouldn't be suprised if a team like the Colts for example want to trade up to grab a RB.

I agree, but I think you mean trade down.

after the interview at the combine, saban does seem concerned with the line. he said the top two priorities were QB and o-line/d-line.

Back
Top Bottom