Dolphins Offense Will Be on a Different Level in 2024 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Offense Will Be on a Different Level in 2024

Yeah, just dismiss the avalanche of injuries over the second half of the season. :rolleyes: Miami was actually playing some games down the stretch with four of their five starting offensive linemen out of the lineup. Throw in a hobbled Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Raheem Mostert for good measure and you were expecting the same production as in the beginning of the season? The Connor Williams injury alone totally changed the creativity and effectiveness of the offense. I didn't even touch on the injuries on the defensive side of the ball which were equally devastating effecting the overall team's ability to play complimentary football.
Get over it
Stop making excuses
We sucked down the stretch and were poorly coached down the stretch
I played two years of college football and never used injuries as an excuse and never even thought to use it as an excuse
This is the NFL, and no one gives a **** about hearing excuses

Oh the injury excuse

This is the NFL and it’s full of injuries on every team. I’m so sick of people falling back on the crap excuse. Injuries are like assholes, everyone has one.

Man up already no one cares about your injuries
Gtfo here with that sh*t Mr. tough guy attitude. Like the injuries didn't devastate this team. You are being ridiculous.

Gtfo here with that sh*t Mr. tough guy attitude. Like the injuries didn't devastate this team. You are being ridiculous.
Toughguy???

It’s not about being tough so gtfo with stupid verbiage

Injuries are an excuse with any fan and it’s that simple
You ever play an organized sport you’d know that but I guess not
It’s really that simple

Packers with Aaron Rodgers were about the most banged up team I can remember and they went on to win the SB

IMO the predictability or the "the offense was figured out" complaint came down to two issues.

1. The loss of Williams made both our run blocking and pass blocking much, much worse. Eich wasn't as good at making the calls, anticipating stunts, etc. He couldn't reach the second level to run block like Williams could. And he made a few too many critical mistakes in pass pro.

2. Good teams figured out they could align in a pass favorable front, but double Hill and Waddle (when they were both in). Miami would then option to pass and our third receiving option couldn't separate.

Brewer staying healthy would solve the first issue. He is arguably a better run blocker than Williams was. In pass pro, he isn't as stout one on one heads up against the NT, but Miami Cs are rarely asked to do that. In help situations and at making the calls Brewer is comparable to Williams. My concern is if Brewer doesn't stay healthy. We need one of the UDFAs to upgrade that back-up spot or there are reports that Williams is expected to recover and be re-signed. Although that isn't expected by the start of the season, more like October if it happens.

The second issue is what OBJ, Jonnu Smith and Malik Washington have the best chance of alleviating. I also think Achane and Wright could factor in. I see all four new additions and Achane just through development as being upgrades over our third receiving options last season. It's tough to learn the receiver position in this system. There are sight adjustments that only work if the QB and th receiver are seeing/reading things the same way. It takes time for that coordination to develop. Fortunately OBJ was in a very similar system in LA, so that learning period should be shorter for him. Achane being in year 2 should also help him.

Another thing that would help the second issue is just saying "f*ck it" and running into unfavorable box looks at times. You can't let the defense dictate what you're going to do all the time. Sometimes you just have to impose your will. SF often does that and IMO it makes their offense less predicatable.

I don't think that's necessarily a "play calling" thing for McD. Tua has the option at the line. I think he can be a little too aggressive. Both in terms of not taking the check down, but also in terms of looking for the potentially bigger pass play vs. just handing it off (wanting the ball in his hands, etc.). McD could help though by helping Tua be a little less robotic in those line reads. It's that next level of playing QB where you realize that you're guy is just eating a DE or DT's lunch and you keep exploiting it. Miami has done that against DBs at times in the pass game, but I don't recall them doing that in the run game.
!00%. The Williams injury alone changed and effected this offense as much as any player they had. The whining about the play calling is obnoxious too. I hear the same crap from every fanbase across the NFL every week. When a play doesn't work it's "they should have passed the ball instead or they should have run the ball instead". It's always easy to say they should have done something else when the play they run doesn't work.

Toughguy???

It’s really that simple

Packers with Aaron Rodgers were about the most banged up team I can remember and they went on to win the SB
Talk about stupid. :lol:

I still think the team lacks a power running game that is necessary to kill clock or pick up first down on third and short, McDaniel seems to lose his mind in short yardage situations. Speed doesn't translate well to wet or cold situations where the game is played in a phone booth.
It will be McDaniel's third year implementing his offense and so far the results have been better than anything we have seen in 30 years or so.

Of course, we're comparing ALL of last year against this coming season, not just from the point the Dolphins had injuries.

The Dolphins still have a couple of months to get some OL help as I said, but as of right now, you think the current starting 5 is better than the starting 5 that was healthy last year? Arguably the 2 best of those starters are no longer on the team.
I am not sure we start a better top 5 than the beginning of last year, but that was a middle of the league OL and we are deeper now than then and have a chance of being better throughout the season due to improved depth.

Toughguy???

It’s really that simple

I'm pretty sure they didn't have the same protocols in place for those packers..
Disagreements about injuries appears to be a misunderstanding of the difference between excuses and reasons.

An excuse is a justification or explanation offered to defend or justify an action, behavior, or decision. It often involves shifting blame or responsibility away from oneself and onto external factors or circumstances. Excuses tend to be subjective and can be influenced by personal biases, emotions, or self-interest. They are often used to avoid consequences, evade accountability, or manipulate others' perceptions. Excuses can take various forms, such as blaming others, citing lack of resources or time, or emphasizing extenuating circumstances. While some excuses may have a legitimate basis, they are generally seen as a way to avoid taking responsibility for one's actions or decisions. Excuses can hinder personal growth, damage relationships, and impede problem-solving processes.

Reason, on the other hand,
Involves providing a logical and rational explanation for an action, behavior, or decision. It is based on objective analysis, critical thinking, and a consideration of various factors. Unlike excuses, reasons aim to clarify intentions, provide insight, and promote understanding. They are often used to justify actions or decisions in a transparent and accountable manner. Reasons can be supported by evidence, facts, or logical reasoning. They are typically focused on problem-solving, learning, and growth. By offering reasons, individuals can engage in constructive dialogue, build trust, and foster effective communication. Reasons encourage personal accountability and allow for the evaluation and improvement of actions or decisions.

!00%. The Williams injury alone changed and effected this offense as much as any player they had. The whining about the play calling is obnoxious too. I hear the same crap from every fanbase across the NFL every week. When a play doesn't work it's "they should have passed the ball instead or they should have run the ball instead". It's always easy to say they should have done something else when the play they run doesn't work.
Agreed about the effect of the Williams injury. However, the play calling complaints were far more than simply a "play" not working here or there. It was a willful decision to totally abandon the running game in the 2nd half of games where the running game had been effective in the 1st half. It was obvious enough that it was mentioned in-game by national broadcasters and on national sports talk.

I still think the team lacks a power running game that is necessary to kill clock or pick up first down on third and short, McDaniel seems to lose his mind in short yardage situations. Speed doesn't translate well to wet or cold situations where the game is played in a phone booth.
It will be McDaniel's third year implementing his offense and so far the results have been better than anything we have seen in 30 years or so.

I "more knowledgeable" disagree. - LOL

Back
Top Bottom