Dolphins Offensive Line Play Isn't Meeting Team's Expectations Through First Week Of Camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Offensive Line Play Isn't Meeting Team's Expectations Through First Week Of Camp

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
a91f1782-6f37-43e8-a6b3-8934f98b7b0a-large16x9_offensive.jpg

Let Pat Flaherty tell it, the Miami Dolphins only have one starting offensive lineman on the team exiting the first week of training camp, and that’s left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

Flaherty, the Dolphins’ offensive line coach did not like what he saw from his unit on Saturday and Sunday, the first two days of practices in pads, which featured Miami’s offense getting dominated during the team’s 11-on-11 goal-line work for the second straight day.

https://cbs12.com/sports/content/do...teams-expectations-through-first-week-of-camp

the ol' iron makes iron stronger saying sucks for us here. neither side on the trenches is going to benefit the other. we're definately going to need coaching to be the cause of improvement in the trenches this year. not a knock on V Taylor i like him, but is going against Reed on in the interior really gonna benefit him. being able to use college level techniques and skills to get past our IOL is going to hurt him against better comp. will be interesting to see how they line up after the off day....will Deiter get a shot at a starting IOL position. Will J Davis get a shot at RT...is finheaven the only place that thinks that Davis is a RT not a guard. IF the o-line is incompetent come day 1 of reg season does this effect who we play at QB, if Rosen picks it up and takes the lead over Fitz, do we play Rosen if we know hes gonna get killed. do we risk "Carr'ing" him or do we say **** it, you gotta be mentally strong to be a QB for the new regime, if he dies he dies., he better become a ghost before he starts seeing ghost.

Has Pat watched any previous seasons? Is he just now finding out what us fans already knew? Maybe Mills will save the day...lol

the ol' iron makes iron stronger saying sucks for us here. neither side on the trenches is going to benefit the other. we're definately going to need coaching to be the cause of improvement in the trenches this year. not a knock on V Taylor i like him, but is going against Reed on in the interior really gonna benefit him. being able to use college level techniques and skills to get past our IOL is going to hurt him against better comp. will be interesting to see how they line up after the off day....will Deiter get a shot at a starting IOL position. Will J Davis get a shot at RT...is finheaven the only place that thinks that Davis is a RT not a guard. IF the o-line is incompetent come day 1 of reg season does this effect who we play at QB, if Rosen picks it up and takes the lead over Fitz, do we play Rosen if we know hes gonna get killed. do we risk "Carr'ing" him or do we say **** it, you gotta be mentally strong to be a QB for the new regime, if he dies he dies., he better become a ghost before he starts seeing ghost.
I am with you on that one. I asked this question when we saw the 1st team OL to start camp. Don't this coaches go back and watch tape?(being sarcastic, but if you watch the tape - he has always played better as an OT than an OG)

Well, my expectation was - and still is - that this it at least a solid group. I mean, I have a hard time believing that Miami is sooooo bad in identifying Offensive Line talent that we are constantly 30th, 31st, 32nd in the league. It's 32 teams picking I don't know how many Offensive Line players every year and we always end up with the worst of them? Not average, not below average, but ****ing ugly talent level? Every goddamn year? Nah, I don't see it.

Most of our coaches come from a program where they'd pick up a guy from the streets and a week later he was having a solid game. And they did that more than once. And our front office is so bad they don't find a better player in rounds 2 or 3 of the draft for years than that guy from the streets? The players might not be very good but they should at least be solid as a group. If not something's not quite right in Miami and I bet it's not the players. I just don't know what is.

Same article that's in the sun-sentinel from Omar
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0190728-sv3ujg3c5vfipi5xw72icvvxky-story.html

It's easy to see why the offensive line is having problems at the goal line - it has 3 new players on it Reed, Mills, and even Kilgore who played in 4 games are new and relatively new with only Davis and Tunsil having any extended experience.

Going up against some stout DT's in Godchaux, Taylor, Spence and Wilkins - both Godchaux and Taylor are coming into there 3rd year and developing nicely approaching the prime of there football careers, Wilkins 1st round stud and Spence is solid DT.

If there is a problem with the d-line it's not the DT's were going to stop quite a few offenses at the 1 yard line.

I do believe the offensive line will have problems this year and suspect that it may have been done on purpose to act as a throttle/governor for the offense that may only want to win 3 to 5 games, we have 27 mil in cap space and some of that could of been used to upgrade some of the players on the offensive line.

Been my concern all offseason. Why don't we ever address this properly? People want to blame the QB, and they certainly weren't all pro by any stretch...but our biggest issue is always the OL goddamnit. Like Spiff said, we always seem to grab the very worst of the worst. Effing frustrating!

Most of our coaches come from a program where they'd pick up a guy from the streets and a week later he was having a solid game. And they did that more than once. And our front office is so bad they don't find a better player in rounds 2 or 3 of the draft for years than that guy from the streets? The players might not be very good but they should at least be solid as a group. If not something's not quite right in Miami and I bet it's not the players. I just don't know what is.

Its a lot easier to find that guy from the street when you have 4 capable starters already. I don't think anyone is going to have a whole lot of success taking 4 below average players and molding them into a quality unit.

I don't think anyone expects this to be a good offensive line in year one. Most of the players that are penciled in as starters have already proven elsewhere that they aren't capable of making the grade. Its hard to believe they're all going to undergo transformations in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom