Dolphins Packers series | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Packers series

GBpackers10

Active Roster
Reaction score
You guys realize you led the series at one point 7-0. Wasn’t it 2002 when we finally beat ya.

Interesting!

One game that sticks out to me, badly, was from a few years back, Philbin era I believe. We were winning and playing a solid game, and late in the game as you guys were driving, we took a terribly timed time out which helped you guys more than us. We had Phillip freaking Wheeler in man coverage on a tight end (I think) who then motioned out wide and ran his route for an easy TD

I was at the game in 1991 where Shula got his 300th win. It was really hot that day. Packers seemed to be sweating so much they couldn't hold on to the ball.

That was a bad game in an even more disappointing season. I was there. Only good thing was that we won.

Edited to add: in fairness to this game, 1991 had a ton of bad home games: this one, losing to the Bills on a Monday night, the Sammie Smith fumble game against the Oilers, and the proverbial cherry-- losing to the Jets in overtime in the final week and consequently missing the playoffs.

Last edited:
Interesting!

One game that sticks out to me, badly, was from a few years back, Philbin era I believe. We were winning and playing a solid game, and late in the game as you guys were driving, we took a terribly timed time out which helped you guys more than us. We had Phillip freaking Wheeler in man coverage on a tight end (I think) who then motioned out wide and ran his route for an easy TD
Pretty sure Phillip Wheeler defended himself after giving up the game winning TD by saying he didn't want to be in the game at that time. Great free agent signing that one.

Interesting!

Travis34 you are 100% right. As I walked from the stadium to the car that day, I knew that Joe Philbin was not the guy who could bring the team success and this was the game that highlighted his glaring coaching limitations. Old Joe was a pretty good guy who worked very hard and helped to develop Ryan Tannehill just like he developed Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay behind Favre, but Joe repeatedly screwed up the clock management side of the equation. He was what he was - a solid #2 guy in the coaching staff. Philip F Wheeler was another Jeff Ireland special free agent who we ridiculously overpaid. Thanks for reminding me about that game, Old Joe, Jeff Ireland and Philip F Wheeler.

Last edited:
Interesting!

I remember that meltdown. As soon as Aaron Rodgers got the ball back I knew it was over.

My favorite was the Dolphins at Green Bay in week 2 of the 1994 season. A lot of people were predicting the streak would end as the Dolphins were on the road and there was bound to be a letdown after the week 1 fireworks in Miami.

But the Dolphins won by 10. Marino threw for 2 touchdowns against 0 intereceptions. The backfield of Spikes, Kirby, and Byars was responsible for over 140 yards on the ground and a couple of scores. Favre played all right.

That was a bad game in an even more disappointing season. I was there. Only good thing was that we won.

Edited to add: in fairness to this game, 1991 had a ton of bad home games: this one, losing to the Bills on a Monday night, the Sammie Smith fumble game against the Oilers, and the proverbial cherry-- losing to the Jets in overtime in the final week and consequently missing the playoffs.
Wasn't this the season also that we played At KC, were down 7-0, and as Sammie Smith dove into the end zone and fumbled again, and the ball was returned for a TD? We ended up just packing it in that week and losing like 450-zero?
And wasn't that right after the week we lost to the Oilers?

Wasn't this the season also that we played At KC, were down 7-0, and as Sammie Smith dove into the end zone and fumbled again, and the ball was returned for a TD? We ended up just packing it in that week and losing like 450-zero?
And wasn't that right after the week we lost to the Oilers?
The Chiefs game was at KC the week before the Oilers game in Miami. The only surprise in 1991 was that the team was still in the playoff hunt in the last week. So so many bad games that year. Hell of a year to have season tickets— as opposed to 1990 which was great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom