Dolphins Should Look At Ryan Mcneil.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Should Look At Ryan Mcneil....

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There was some talk by at least one of the local reporters that the Dolphins were a bit surprised to see that the Chargers released former CANe defensive back.....RYAN McNEIL late this afternoon. When I left practice....this reporter was going to ask Wannstedt flat out if the DOlphins would be willing to talk with Mcneil about possibly joining the DOlphins.

I don't know why the Chargers gave up on this former pro-bowler....I do know that they converted him to safety last season from CB.

But this is a guy who we may get to play for the veteran minimum now.....and in the NFL...you can never have enough good DB's....and I personally...really liked him from his days at the UM...

This could be even more soothing insurance....that is if the DOlphins still feel he can play the corner....for any future injury problems that would curtail either SAM MADISON, and of course....it seems that many people are concerned about PAT SURTAIN lasting a full season....as DREW problably scared many folks with his report that SURTAIN had a "degenerating knee problem". Drew definately is not a Doctor....and quite frankly...he is not even a LAWYER.....he is just an agent...and his opinions are not that of the team doctors....who have not declared SURTAIN having that kind of knee diagnosis. The bottom line here....is that Mcneil may be able to really be that final DB that you keep on your roster....particularly if he can play both safety, and CB....and from what I remember...he used to play on special teams as well.

I realize that the DOlphins are high on OMARE LOWE...and even Alphonso ROundtree and Korey Banks have gotten some notice in camp.....but hey.....

Ryan Mcneil just got cut......and right now I would like to know why?

Anyone have any insight on this... and we will see if the Dolphins have any interest anyway, real soon....especially if any injury occurs in the secondary this weekend.

So that would mean they'd cut Omare Lowe? Hell nah.. you know how hard I worked to get him up to a 62 in Madden with camp and Stuff? Mannnn...

He was cut because he's clearly on the decline - remember the Chargers secondary was the WORST in the league in 2002, when he started at RCB and was the leader of that unit. He was switched from corner to free safety to accomodate Quentin Jammer and the first rounder Sammy Davis. The Chargers then switched him to safety, but then signed Kwame Lassiter from the Cardinals and drafted Drayton Florence, Hanik Milligan and Terrence Kiel. The team wanted to get younger and faster in the secondary and with McNeil's lingering foot problem and the fact that he clearly wasn't the same player in 2002 as he was when he had 8 picks in 2001, they got rid. He lacks decent deep speed and he's too much of a gambler. Plus, he thinks he should be paid like Champ Bailey. I don't see how he's any improvement over Jamar or Buck in any way shape or form and I think there are obviously bigger plans afoot for Omare Lowe, that I would imagine involve shifting to SS when Sammy Knight is done, to partner Arturo at FS. There is no way that the Dolphins would have kept him on the roster last year if they didn't have plans for him.

I don't know if McNeil is an improvement of what we already have. We already have guys like Buckley, Lowe, and Fletcher not starting. I don't think we need to sign McNeil.

Originally posted by Boomer
He was cut because he's clearly on the decline - remember the Chargers secondary was the WORST in the league in 2002, when he started at RCB and was the leader of that unit. He was switched from corner to free safety to accomodate Quentin Jammer and the first rounder Sammy Davis. The Chargers then switched him to safety, but then signed Kwame Lassiter from the Cardinals and drafted Drayton Florence, Hanik Milligan and Terrence Kiel. The team wanted to get younger and faster in the secondary and with McNeil's lingering foot problem and the fact that he clearly wasn't the same player in 2002 as he was when he had 8 picks in 2001, they got rid. He lacks decent deep speed and he's too much of a gambler. Plus, he thinks he should be paid like Champ Bailey. I don't see how he's any improvement over Jamar or Buck in any way shape or form and I think there are obviously bigger plans afoot for Omare Lowe, that I would imagine involve shifting to SS when Sammy Knight is done, to partner Arturo at FS. There is no way that the Dolphins would have kept him on the roster last year if they didn't have plans for him.

I agree with most of this, the reason Miami kept Omare last year is because he was injuried, yes that dreaded word, and put on the PUP list. He was showing something in camp before he got hurt.

But he was re-activated towards the end of the year and his roster spot kept. There are bigger plans afoot. McNeil wouldn't fit particularly well and he is much more expensive than say a Lowe and has a MAXIMUM of 2 years left. I'd take Lowe anyday of the week.

No! for this simple reason. We need a LT more than anything. Hello!

Originally posted by gunn34
Don't sign him just because he played locally. :nono:

We aren't. I don't think we have had a player that wen to the UM besides Twan Russell under Wannstedt-Spielman. We actually shy away from local talent. We are signing him because he is a good player, who can still make plays.

Peanut :rofl:. Lowe sucks, although he did get an INT against My Bro (Lions) in a game we played yesterday. ;)

Originally posted by finfan54
No! for this simple reason. We need a LT more than anything. Hello!

And where would you like us to get one?

Originally posted by Prime Time

Peanut :rofl:. Lowe sucks, although he did get an INT against My Bro (Lions) in a game we played yesterday. ;)

:lol:

Prime Time. We aren't signing Ryan McNeil. And we won't be. We are stacked in the secondary. And how many games have you seen Omare Lowe in to have such an insightful judgement on him......"he sucks". You go you hardcore Dolfan you.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I don't know if McNeil is an improvement of what we already have. We already have guys like Buckley, Lowe, and Fletcher not starting. I don't think we need to sign McNeil.
I agree there is not reason to bring in a vet to be our 5th CB or 5th S and have to cut a guy. The level on the depth chart is reserved for the Korey Banks and Trent Gambles who make it on ST. And hopefully the 2ndary will start away from the injury bug...:pray:

Back
Top Bottom