Dolphins Sign DT Benito Jones | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Sign DT Benito Jones

I like Benito. He and his family are cattle ranchers down in Mississippi. Good ol' country boy. He was the Mississippi high school defensive player of the year as a senior, over if I recall Jeffrey Simmons. Or maybe they were back-to-back winners.

2020 Guide: What Ourlads' Scouting Services said about BENITO JONES: Mississippi, 6010 316 5.30. Four-year starter, Waynesboro, MS. Was a five-star recruit and the 2016 Mississippi High School Player of the Year. Earned second-team All SEC in 2019. A classic defensive tackle force that often gets overlooked when it comes to accolades and awards. He does a lot of dirty work that elevates players around him, but rarely gets his name called when outsiders discuss impact players. Coaches and scouts will see just how good of an every-down force he is, and can be. Has always worked on the family farm during the offseason and that kind of power and natural strength shows up on tape. Very effective with his hands and he shows surprising pop out of his stance. Has a quicker first step than most will assume and combined with his tool set, it will cause offensive lines to plan around him. Functional thickness from top to bottom. Can wear a few hats for a defensive front and is capable of changing them on demand. Quick and fiery off the snap, can penetrate via shooting gaps. Also plays a solid power game that can anchor against double teams. Built low to the ground and is a comfortable knee bender. Shows hustle and sneaky speed when moving down the line. Plays with tackle to tackle range in pursuit. Will show pass rush moves that have developed well year to year. Gets off single blocks consistently. Could use better footwork leg drive. Gets a little top heavy throughout engagement, making him hinge at the hip which leads to balance issues. Doesn’t show the awareness of what is coming at him laterally. Too much tunnel vision. Will lose track of gap discipline. 2019 stats: 30 T, 10 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 7 QBH, 1 INT. Edge speed:left 2.35, right 2.34. OSR:19/19. Sixth/seventh round. (A-32 3/4, H-9 3/4, BP-DNP, 10-1.82).

He's played 52% of Detroit's defensive snaps and 27% special teams. I would said that makes one a NFL player and not one trying to make a roster.

Back
Top Bottom