Dolphins sign Marcus Maye | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Marcus Maye

Heh? It's June. Don't have to be at 53 until early September.
Right...but have to be at 90 during training camp. AND, I'm sure there are plenty of camp bodies to cut if we have problems hitting the 90 mark.

But we can’t eclipse 90 players now. With two rookies yet to sign someone will have to be released.
We have 91 players with one having the international player exemption (Matos). So, some camp body will get jettisoned to make room for Maye.

Nice insurance addition. These are the things that plagued us last year. Not having competent depth.

Now do the same thing at OG.
Agree about our depth, although we were so beat up last year even better depth would have been severely dented.

ha yup i noticed your comment right after i commented. the good news, leaving morals aside, is his suspension was DUI not PEDs. i was even more worried, because I hate signing the guys that got popped for PEDs, because you never know how much of their success was due to the juice. anyway the injury thing w grier really bugs me. he doesnt seem to care. but it matters, as we found at again last year. injuries are more than a random event. some guys get hurt, others dont. injury prone players the older they get, it just gets worse. having said all of that, we are on fumes from a cap perspective and the guys that are available are available for a reason, so i am fine with this one
Generally I do agree with you, but I'm more concerned about drafting injury prone players. Which Grier does too often IMO.

As we know, sometimes you can get bargains in free agency and a lot of times those are players coming off injuries.

Long is an example of one bargain that worked out. Obviously, some don't.

Ideally you build through the draft however we "drafted" (Traded for those who don't get it) Tyreek Hill and Bradley Chubb with some of our "draft choices" . We were also penalized to lose some more, so we only had a limited amount. Vet free agents are the way you 'plug holes' when you are short on draft choices and $$$. This guy has played some good football, he's also been injured and suspended. I look at this signing as a kind of insurance policy. He's a vet who still got a little in the tank that we hopefully will not need much, if any. We needed another body at the position.

Fine with the signing, love it I’m more talking about his comment of letting Holland, a top 5 safety walk.

Typical Grier depth signing. Hope for the best on the injury front. However these are the types of moves you have to make when you trade all of your draft picks away. We really need to start using our draft picks more wisely and keep properly feeding the pipeline, not plugging holes with older FA's with a history of injuries.

I don't think that's the issue most are debating, though "top 5" is questionable and subjective.

The issue is how much value is there in paying a Safety top positional money verses paying one less and using that money elsewhere.

You can't pay everyone, and you can't have top 5 players at every spot. What is the best formula and approach to use overall?

You need some young players to build around and with Waddle and soon Tua. That leaves Phillips and Holland. After that it’s bleak with no players going into year 3 that have shown promise. Only achane going into year 2, hopefully Cam Smith turns it around either way after those two you have a gap where we have no young players that we’ll need to play.

The other safety position needs to be filled as well, you can’t go into next year with maybe a rookie and a 34 and 32 year old.

You use that gap to structure contracts accordingly.

Typical Grier depth signing. Hope for the best on the injury front. However these are the types of moves you have to make when you trade all of your draft picks away. We really need to start using our draft picks more wisely and keep properly feeding the pipeline, not plugging holes with older FA's with a history of injuries.

Have Needham at safety too so this is really depth. I think they like Needham and he might play Hollands FS role with poyer at SS and Holland in 3rd safety role.

Have Needham at safety too so this is really depth. I think they like Needham and he might play Hollands FS role with poyer at SS and Holland in 3rd safety role.
Ya, hopefully the reduced role and load can help keep him on the field.

Heh? It's June. Don't have to be at 53 until early September.
True, but in JUne you can't have over 90 either, I thought the Dolphins had 90 coming into the week, but apparently it was 89. The Maye signing puts Miami at 90 now. They will need to release two players to sign their two top draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom