Dolphins Talent Level Quote - Whaddya think? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Talent Level Quote - Whaddya think?

Where Are The Dolphins Talent-wise?

• Among the elite 4-5 teams in the NFL

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Above Average

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Mediocre to above average

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Just average

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
From Chris Mortensen:

"as I see it, the problem is not that the Dolphins are underachieving, it's that they are overrated. And for you to say Jay Fiedler is a "great quarterback" just proves my point. At the same time, I don't think he deserves to be the scapegoat. The Dolphins are a good-to-average team. To me, they are in that 9-7 range, with a chance to be 10-6. But most really good scouts I know say their talent is basically no different than the other good-to-average teams. "

http://msn.espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/0912/1614763.html

I thought this was interesting. Especially since it is not just Mortensen's opinion but from some scouts. Before we "blast" him as being anti-Dolphin, we should consider the point.

On defense, it seems to me that while our D has been very good the last few years, it does have its weaknesses.
* The CB's, while very good with technique, are not speed burners as some of the great CB's tend to be. And, was last year a fluke for Madison, or is it a sign of things to come?
* The LB's last year were pretty weak, other than Zach. Seau is an upgrade, but how much? We will be better, certainly. Even Zach has his shortcomings, as much as I like him.
* The DT's are good size, but Bowens is aging and does not have near the quickness he did his first 3 years. And, when you consider the number of huge, powerful DT's in the league today (seems like every team has one or two), we are pretty average there (even by the standards of our own division).
* The DT's, if Ogunleye can come back with another good year, are our strength, imo.

On offense:
* OL - despite a good year last year (largely due to the insertion of Jamie Nails and RW's presence), they are still inconsistent. And, if Nails has lost his quickness, with Dixon still injured, this OL is mediocre at best. It does have a good looking future with McKinney and Wade Smith, but will need a big dominant OG, to deal with the increase in powerful DT's in the division - imo.
* QB - I believe Fiedler can be a QB who can win a SB - but he is mediocre - he needs a very good team around him.
* RB - Clearly, the backfield is among the best in the league, if not the best - but, it always goes back to the OL.
* WR - Also a big question mark still.

I can see why several would draw Mortensen's conclusion. Are the Dolphins mediocre to average - talent-wise?

IMO both underachieving and a bit overrated! Their is a thread on this very article I posted a while back called: Overrated Or Underachieving?

It is definately an interesting article.

Avg to good players don't go to the probowl! We have the most probowlers of any team and I think our D can be the best in the league
but Monte Kiffin already works for another team. Just like Wanny, Bates is stubborn and not willing to adjust, without an edge our Dwill struggle. IMO we have the best D in the league from a personnel standpoint. Everybody knows all you need is avg to good "O" to win a SB.

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$
Avg to good players don't go to the probowl! We have the most probowlers of any team and I think our D can be the best in the league
but Monte Kiffin already works for another team. Just like Wanny, Bates is stubborn and not willing to adjust, without an edge our Dwill struggle. IMO we have the best D in the league from a personnel standpoint. Everybody knows all you need is avg to good "O" to win a SB.

I agree we have some great players but looking at the end of last season and the beginning of this one we seem to be underachieving a lot which atleast thus far in this season makes us a overated. By the end of the season when we are fully gellin' then we'll be a top defense.

Oh, about our coordinator, Bates... There's another thread, I don't remember off hand which one, where one poster wrote that our defense is great against a basic offense but seems to struggle when we see spread formations. I think I agree with that. Our two best corners, Madison and Surtain, can usually take two recievers completely out of the game but then we see spread offenses and a lot of mismatches. Hopefully Knight and Buckley will shore that up.

Good-to-average talent????

The Dolphins are, have been and will continue to be an elite team. Let's run a scenario here, if the Fins win against either Buffalo or NE and against Minnesota, then they are 11-5 or 12-4 last year. And those are all wins that we had in the bag until the 4th quarter collapse. Who would have stopped us in the AFC playoffs? With home field advantage? Remember we beat the Raiders so they would have played us down here again.

Of course I sound like a homer for even going through this scenario. However, anyone who says that Miami has mediocre talent is living in the Twilight Zone.

Good-to-average talent????

The Dolphins are, have been and will continue to be an elite team. Let's run a scenario here, if the Fins win against either Buffalo or NE and against Minnesota, then they are 11-5 or 12-4 last year. And those are all wins that we had in the bag until the 4th quarter collapse. Who would have stopped us in the AFC playoffs? With home field advantage? Remember we beat the Raiders so they would have played us down here again.

Of course I sound like a homer for even going through this scenario. However, anyone who says that Miami has mediocre talent is living in the Twilight Zone.

Hey StartingTailbak, I agree we have the talent but don't you think they have been underachieving lately? (Lately includes the last 3 or 4 games from last season.)

Re: Good-to-average talent????

Originally posted by StartingTailbak

Elite teams are teams that consistently go deep in the playoffs, or at least does it once. THey are not teams that fail to make the playoffs, lose in the first round, or get blown out in the second.

I believe the question was whether there is elite talent on the team. But then again since u guys lost Namath.....

Re: Re: Good-to-average talent????

Originally posted by J-E-T-S

Elite teams are teams that consistently go deep in the playoffs, or at least does it once. THey are not teams that fail to make the playoffs, lose in the first round, or get blown out in the second.

as much as I hate to admit it... J-E-T-S is correct IMO.

in order to get my vote as an "elite" team... we need to prove it, something we haven't done yet. Can we be an elite team? I tend to believe so... but until our performance shows that consistantly.... I have to say we're above average to very good....

The Dolphins are definitely one of the most talented teams in the league, and among the top 4-5 talented in the league. However, being talented doesn't necessarily mean that we are the best. We will know by the end of the season if we are one of the best teams in the league.

Re: Good-to-average talent????

Originally posted by StartingTailbak
if the Fins win against either Buffalo or NE and against Minnesota, then they are 11-5 or 12-4 last year. And those are all wins that we had in the bag until the 4th quarter collapse.

Elite teams don't have 4th quarter collapses or december swoons. So the question is talent, coaching or both?

I believe our players and coaches are mediocre to above average regarding thier talent. As for their heart and mental toughness I believe we are below average. We just aren't hungry enough to be an elite team and I would also have to agree with J-E-T-S that we are not an elite team, at this time. My hope is that we become one and maybe with the humiliating loss against the Texans we will work to be more cohesive and tougher on the field.

Although we have only played one game it saddens me to say this, but as it stands right now, the Bills are the team to beat. They are in-sinc and very effective on offense and defense. Donahoe has done a great job rebuilding that team and we will have our hands full in a week if we don't gain some confidence and momentum.

Steve

You don't have the #3 defense in the NFL, the leading sacker in the NFL, the leading tackler in the NFL and the leading rusher in the NFL with mediocre talent. Mort is full of it.
Our problem is and has been coaching.

Back
Top Bottom