Dolphins Talent Transformation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Talent Transformation

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here can remember our talent level a few years ago. When we talked to each other it was not of top players but how many starters would start on any other teams, which were few.

Now, we have some serious talent. I don't know if it was McD, Grier, a combo or Ross not involved after costing a 1st. No matter, Here is a closer look at the talent of the new and improved Miami Dolphins:

Top 10 Ranked Players

Tua- #8
Hill- #1
Williams- #4
Ingold- #3

Ramsey- #3
Wilkins- #9
Phillips- #6

Top 20 Ranked Players

Waddle- #13
Armstead- #15
Hunt- #12

Long- #14
Baker- #16

Sieler was #21 and Holland had an off year.

This is a lot of talent but needs to translate to wins. For this we have McD on O and Fangio on D who I believe are both top 5.

If Father Time and injuries allow it, we just may have a very good year.

I'm personally higher on Armstead and I would add Chubb to the top 20 list, but regardless the talent transformation in the last few years is incredible. IMO McD had some growing pains in his first season, but also showed that he could be a great coach. IMO McD improving alone would garner a few more wins even if we hadn't improved the talent or added one of the best DCs.

While we can quibble about the execution, the misses on the line, etc. the plan back in 2019 was to tear down the roster to get draft assets and fix the cap and then build around the rookie QB contract to build a contender. Grier stuck to the plan and now we are seeing the fruits of a cohesive, multi-year effort

IMO Grier collaborated with Flores, but Flores wasn't a good evaluator.
And Stevie Ross had to come in and constanly play referee with those two. Certainly not a symbiotic relationship by any means. Now Ross is back to doing exclusively what he does best- sign checks.

And Stevie Ross had to come in and constanly play referee with those two. Certainly not a symbiotic relationship by any means. Now Ross is back to doing exclusively what he does best- sign checks.
I should get a check from Ross for the things I have broken over the years watching the Dolphins.

IMO Grier collaborated with Flores, but Flores wasn't a good evaluator.
Huh

Tua, Waddle, Hunt, Wilkins, Phillips, Sieler, Baker, and Holland all joined the roster when Flores was coach.

I find it hard to believe Flores couldn’t have identified Hill, Ingold, Armstead, Williams, Chubb, and Ramsey as talented players.

Flores wasn’t given the opportunity to give away two-years+ worth of draft picks and lucrative contracts to get the already established talented players.

When Flores left Miami was loaded with picks in the first 3 rounds, including three-1st round picks over the next two years, and Miami had the most to spend in free agency.

And Miami had gone 19-12 over the previous 31 games that included a 7 game losing streak when Tua dealt with cracked rib and broken middle finger on his throwing hand.

I should get a check from Ross for the things I have broken over the years watching the Dolphins.
Me too bro. Once had an epic Dolphin gear bonfire on the seawall behind my old house in 2007 after the Phins embarrased themselves against NE. Neighbor across the canal, who was a Pats fan, was highly entertained. Especially when my shoe, which had caught fire when I tried in vain to stamp out the inferno, went flying into the late afternoon sky, landing in the water with a pitiful hiss. Much like our beloved Phins that entire excruciating year.

Last edited:
Huh

Tua, Waddle, Hunt, Wilkins, Phillips, Sieler, Baker, and Holland all joined the roster when Flores was coach.

I find it hard to believe Flores couldn’t have identified Hill, Ingold, Armstead, Williams, Chubb, and Ramsey as talented players.

Flores wasn’t given the opportunity to give away two-years+ worth of draft picks and lucrative contracts to get the already established talented players.

When Flores left Miami was loaded with picks in the first 3 rounds, including three-1st round picks over the next two years, and Miami had the most to spend in free agency.

And Miami had gone 19-12 over the previous 31 games that included a 7 game losing streak when Tua dealt with cracked rib and broken middle finger on his throwing hand.
By all reports Flores was woefully bad at offensive football. And he tended to blame the offensive coaches/players for everything despite that lack of understanding. He apparently hadn't spoken to his offensive coaches in weeks by the end of the season. His reputation got so bad that we couldn't bring in any offensive coaches. Even most of the defensive players seemed happy he was gone.

By all reports Flores was woefully bad at offensive football. And he tended to blame the offensive coaches/players for everything despite that lack of understanding. He apparently hadn't spoken to his offensive coaches in weeks by the end of the season. His reputation got so bad that we couldn't bring in any offensive coaches. Even most of the defensive players seemed happy he was gone.
Simply true.

I'm personally higher on Armstead and I would add Chubb to the top 20 list, but regardless the talent transformation in the last few years is incredible. IMO McD had some growing pains in his first season, but also showed that he could be a great coach. IMO McD improving alone would garner a few more wins even if we hadn't improved the talent or added one of the best DCs.
Agree on McD the HC but as an OC he has been brilliant as many former GMs, coaches and players have stated. I have to give him the credit or more than half on off season additions Williams, Armstead, Hill and Mostert with Wilson. More importantly he brought Tua ro life as a real possible franchise QB if health allows. Quite the accomplishments in year #1.

Back
Top Bottom