Dolphins Team Report..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Team Report.....

Bodzilla29

The Shiznit
Reaction score
This is from tsn.com......

After showing up for the offseason conditioning program weighing 313 pounds, Alonzo Mayes is slowing getting into shape and making plays.

Mayes has very good hands and has the speed to make himself a difficult matchup for linebackers. But the coaches were extremely disappointed to see a player with a golden opportunity to land a starting spot in a tight-end friendly offense show up in poor shape.

Jed Weaver will enter camp as the starter, and rookie Randy McMichael was picked in the fourth round, and is a playmaker.

Mayes will face a test to earn the coaches' trust, but he also must prove he can stay healthy. He has not played in a game since early in the 2000 season when he was with Chicago. . . .

With regulars Oronde Gadsden, Chris Chambers and Dedric Ward slowed by injury, Robert Baker is doing his best to impress the coaches. He has showed them he is tough enough.

Two weeks after he had arthroscopic knee surgery, Baker was back in action at the recent Quarterback School. Baker is in a fight with Jeff Ogden and rookie Sam Simmons to be the No. 5 receiver.

A very good athlete, Baker can make the spectacular play, but he needs to be more consistent. . . .

At 6-6, 234 pounds, Tim Levcik has the size to be a quarterback in the NFL. He also possesses a very strong arm, but he will need to work on his footwork if he is to unseat Cade McNown as the No. 3 quarterback.

Levcik threw 76 touchdown passes in four years at Robert Morris College, a Division 1-AA program. While he did not face the steepest competition, he was helped by the fact that he ran a pro-style offense.

His coach was Joe Walton, the former Jets head coach and coordinator in Pittsburgh and Washington.

CORNERBACKS ANALYSIS

Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain are among the best duos in the NFL, and the fact they had just three interceptions between them a year ago proves it.

Quarterbacks do not test them often because their strength is their ability to play the ball. More than any other team in the league, the Dolphins use press coverage to jam receivers, disrupting the timing of plays.

Madison and Surtain do it better than anybody. Their film work allows them to take chances other corners wouldn't take. Madison is not the tackler Surtain is, but Surtain is not the cover man Madison is.

There is a chance the corners will not be asked to play so much press coverage in different schemes this year, but their strength is the ability to take away big plays.

Jamar Fletcher was a first-round pick a year ago, but he did not see much action as a rookie because of the way Terry Cousin performed. It takes a year for a corner to feel comfortable in this scheme because it is so demanding.

Fletcher is also very good at making plays on the ball. He will be the third corner and Surtain will move into the slot in multi-wide receiver sets.

Fletcher has a short memory, which is good because teams will got at him because of Madison and Surtain.

Ray Green has been a find this offseason as the fourth corner. Originally a safety, Green could see time in the dime package. At 6-3, he is the team's biggest corner, and he runs very well.

He still needs some refinement, but his play in minicamps has the coaches thinking they might not have to find a veteran to fill that slot.

Actually, Madison and Surtain had 5 INTs between them last year, not 3.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
This is from tsn.com......

After showing up for the offseason conditioning program weighing 313 pounds, Alonzo Mayes is slowly getting into shape...

Wanny (Stan): "Whoa, Cartman. Talk about 'Wideload'...."

Mayes (Cartman): "Yeah, I'm really starting to fill out rather nicely."

Wanny: "You're not filling out nicely!! You're fatter than ever!!"

Mayes: "I'm not fat!! I'm getting in shape!!"

I think Zo got into Carman's batch of "Weight Gain 4000". BEEFCAKE!! :lol:

Wanny (Stan): "What's that stuff??"

Mayes (Cartman): "Weight Gain 4000. It's helping me bulk up."

Wanny (Stan): "Bulk up to what?? Fatass??"

Speilman (Kyle): "Super Fatass??"

Mayes: "Hey!! I don't have to take that kind of crap...from you scrawny weaklings!!"

i think it could be a really good year for fletcher if teams go at him. as a big ten guy, i saw him play a lot in college, and he is a player. remember, it took surtain a year or so before he looked good.

Originally posted by DPlus47
i think it could be a really good year for fletcher if teams go at him. as a big ten guy, i saw him play a lot in college, and he is a player. remember, it took surtain a year or so before he looked good.

It took Madison a year before he was great too.

The best thing about Fletcher is since he will be playing the outside it will give qbs a false sence of security, so they will cahllenge him, but expect Brock "Ball hawk" Marion to be helping out. This should give both of them many chances to make some big plays.

Originally posted by booyeah_

It took Madison a year before he was great too.
it took Jerry Wilson....one yeah he always sucked :goof:

The Tim Levcik has it all, but not the footwork thing is intriging. Is it that he looks like Dan handing the ball off ? Or that he just is too slow to avoid the rush ? Or is it footwook in his throwing motion ? Sounds like all the reports are identical without any real details what part of his game the big guy's footwook is affecting. :confused:

Originally posted by Dajesus
The best thing about Fletcher is since he will be playing the outside it will give qbs a false sence of security, so they will cahllenge him, but expect Brock "Ball hawk" Marion to be helping out. This should give both of them many chances to make some big plays.
if they do not want to chance it, they can always spend some time - on the ground - with JT or D Bo :cool:

Originally posted by dolphan39
it took Jerry Wilson....one yeah he always sucked :goof:

The Tim Levcik has it all, but not the footwork thing is intriging. Is it that he looks like Dan handing the ball off ? Or that he just is too slow to avoid the rush ? Or is it footwook in his throwing motion ? Sounds like all the reports are identical without any real details what part of his game the big guy's footwook is affecting. :confused:

Generaly when a QB is said to have bad footwork it means his acceptance of the snap in to his drop back is flawed; thus not allowing him to get the ideal frame durring his delivery. A QBs footwork is very hard to overcome. That is the reason why many beleave Leaf has not been sucsessfull. It tends to be a major problem with bigger qbs who have very strong arms. College and highschool coaches wouldn't fix it since arm strength alone can be good enough at that level(especially in d1-aa) and they don't want to mess with something that works.

Back
Top Bottom