Dolphins to incorperate some 3-4? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins to incorperate some 3-4?

FiN.in.RI said:
A 3-4 would be good in certain situations because if JT lined up at OLB he would be able to generate speed while going at the RT instead of instantly contacting the RT (which slows him down immediately). is this the tiger formation?
The OLINE then has to deal with the 3 DTs and Ogunleye/Taylor flying at the QB.

The only thing is, is that for this to work, more base 3-4 packages would have to be developed too and used in the game so its harder for offenses to predict when taylor and ogunleye will rush the passer. But the main questions are How are they in terms of 3-4 OLB skills? How much would size really be a factor?

Imagine both of them gunning for the QB at the same time without instant contact from olineman. With taylors speed and moves? Ogunleyes power? sick combo.

Yeah imagine them both blizting with HB out in the flat wide open. In 3-4 ALL the LB's must have the abilty to cover on passing downs and that means covering the middle of the field along with HB's out of the backfield. Thats the dilema the Patriots have now with converting Dan Klecko to ILB. He just simply might not be mobile enough. On top of that you need HUGE LB's to run the 3-4 defense. Those LB's need to be able to shed off blocks from olinemen. Patriots LB's are as big as 6-3 270(McGinest). Vrabel is in the 264 lb range. You gotta have the players to run it. The DE's are scraping 290+ and your NT has to be damn good also with some gerth. The Ravens got killed by the run now and then due to not having that big NT in the middle. The Titans ate them up for 165 rushing during last seasons wildcard game. They did prosper on passing downs though becuase of the blitz options out of the 3-4.

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
F*ck it.

If it ain't broke, don't f*ck wit it. Miami's defense was EXCELLENT last year. It was overshadowed by a horrible offense. Miami does not have the LB's to play in the 3-4 except for Seau, but he is 34 or 35 now. Zach would be manhandled every down in that defense on run plays. With the personnel Mimai has, they have to stick to 4-3. They have too much talent for a 4-3 scheme to toy around with a 3-4.
BINGO!

I don't like this 3-4 talk at all.:mad: We need to keep working on developing that zone D we started last year and actually become effective at it before tinkering with other things. Do you guys remember how last year started? We were pathetic in the zone. We start going 3-4 and were liable to give up huge chunks of yardage on the ground. We need to stay with the present system and throw some wrinkles in it....coverage wise.

Our defense is fine as it is! The only thing I can see is that we need to Tackle better!(i.e. gang tackling) How many times do you see after the initial hit every other defender backs off? Last year I saw way to many broken tackles.

The missed tackles tailed off by the third game. Last season we experimented with zone coverages for the first time since...uhh...well, maybe since Jimmy arrived who knows. The players weren't use to tackling from the zone yet and they missed a ton of tackles in the Texans game, a bunch in the Jets game, and then by the third game the number of missed tackles tailed off and it was back to Dolphins football.

a 3-4 is totally ridiculous for us to consider. Our strength on the DL are our DTs and JT and our LBs are strictly suited to the 4-3 other than maybe Jr. It will not enter Bates mind IMO

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
F*ck it.

If it ain't broke, don't f*ck wit it. Miami's defense was EXCELLENT last year. It was overshadowed by a horrible offense. Miami does not have the LB's to play in the 3-4 except for Seau, but he is 34 or 35 now. Zach would be manhandled every down in that defense on run plays. With the personnel Mimai has, they have to stick to 4-3. They have too much talent for a 4-3 scheme to toy around with a 3-4.
I don't know what games you were watching, but miami's defense was not excellent. Even if the offense sucked, how can you justify all the missed tackles that led to first downs, long gains, and touchdowns

The defense wasn't perfect, however Miami doesn't have 3-4 linebackers.

I agree, the defense wasn't great, but i disagree with the zone. I think our Defense played much better in man coverage in the previous years. Yes in Man you see alot of huge plays given up, but not nearly as many long drives teams put together in our zone. I have always like the man to man, but I do think mixing up a little zone to comfuse the Offense would be smart, but I hated the games when we played 90% zone coverage and teams would pick it apart. Go Phins!

oh yea and about the 3-4. I also like the 3-4 with teasm that have th right personel to run it, but unfortunitly we don't and anyway why try to fix something that isn't broken?

Back
Top Bottom