Donald Penn Released, Too Expensive? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Donald Penn Released, Too Expensive?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Surprised to see Donald Penn released by the Raiders. Has ties to Reggie McKenzie and has played LT and, more recently, RT. Miami has the money, but if it means losing comp picks I'd go another direction.

In football age he's closer to this group

older-friends-laughing-350.jpg

Surprised to see Donald Penn released by the Raiders. Has ties to Reggie McKenzie and has played LT and, more recently, RT. Miami has the money, but if it means losing comp picks I'd go another direction.
He will be 36 next season and hasn't played many games last year. I doubt we have any interest nor should we.

clearly Miami is ditching its older guys. I wouldn't be against Kalil but I sure hope he doesn't want a major contract, because if the Patriots proved anything its that you don't need a top paid line to go far. Then again the Saints have a top paid line and went far. But the Pats always go far, with cheap OL. The only position worth overpaying for is QB. Maybe LT too, or whichever blindside it is

Anyone who is cut does not affect the comp picks, only free agents whose contract ran out
Not really. There is really no explanation for comp picks. It is an unwritten and unpublished rule and it is rather complicated.
@hoops mentioned Kalil. His contract did not run out. He was cut. But he will bring a comp pick for the Panthers.

Not really. There is really no explanation for comp picks. It is an unwritten and unpublished rule and it is rather complicated.
@hoops mentioned Kalil. His contract did not run out. He was cut. But he will bring a comp pick for the Panthers.
Players who are cut do not qualify for comp picks. That comes directly from the NFL.

There are comp picks for contracts that were voided. The difference being (I assume) both parties have to agree to void a contract.

It is quite a mysterious formula, but if you dig deep you can get the generalities.

It is nebulous for sure, but this is how I understand things:
"...In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team)..."
https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/
Kalil was released on Thursday, who said they will get a comp pick for him?

If they were to sign either it would need to be near vet minimum. Which given the money those two have made they probably aren’t interested in playing for.

Well we just got a 36yo QB so sure, lets starting getting the over the hill gang in here once again

Back
Top Bottom