Don't count out Lamar Miller. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't count out Lamar Miller.

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
When given some blocking I still think Miller can develop into a good NFL back. I find it interesting that Miller rushes for 177 carries and 709 yards and a 4.0 average and he's viewed as a bum and someone who has little future. Meanwhile Gio Bernard finishes with 170 carries for 695 and a 4.1 average and he's viewed as a success and promising young back. I'm not saying Miller had a great season in 2013, but I don't get the double standard.

The Bengals also just drafted a RB pretty high. I think it was Jeremy hill. You need competition miller goes down too easy but I think he has good vision

He'll be a better 3rd down guy than starter. Knowshon picks up blitzes that Miller doesn't even recognize.

The Bengals also just drafted a RB pretty high. I think it was Jeremy hill. You need competition miller goes down too easy but I think he has good vision

Don't get me wrong I agree you need competition, that's why you sign Knowshon Moreno. I just don't see what Bernard has show that makes him more promising than Miller despite similar numbers.

I have him as the starter going into camp and i think he beats out Moreno and Thomas in camp to start. To average 4.0 ypc behind our line last year is an accomplishment IMO

When given some blocking I still think Miller can develop into a good NFL back. I find it interesting that Miller rushes for 177 carries and 709 yards and a 4.0 average and he's viewed as a bum and someone who has little future. Meanwhile Gio Bernard finishes with 170 carries for 695 and a 4.1 average and he's viewed as a success and promising young back. I'm not saying Miller had a great season in 2013, but I don't get the double standard.

This issue with Lamar Miller to me is, I just feel like there is no upside. I watched him play at Killian, at UM and now as a Dolphin and he still has the same issues and honestly I feel like he's the same runner from 6 years ago. He's explosive, he always has been, but he goes down way to easy and doesn't break tackles. He does have big play potential and I have no problem with him as part of a thunder/lightning package but I will never approve of him being the #1 RB on this team (he has to prove to me otherwise). It's even tough to consider him as a true #2 because he isn't good in pass protection and he's not a guy that catches the ball out of the back field like a typical 3rd down back. Definitely not a guy for short yardage and we have never really taken advantage of his ability as a returner on special teams either.

I'll root for him on Sundays, and I root for Daniel Thomas on Sundays . . . but I'm certainly glad we made an emphasis to get a guy like Moreno on this team.

4.0ypc is good for 28th in the League. Not all that good. Miller's the same homerun hitter he was in college, so you get the big run followed by negative or 1 yard carries. He's just not reliable or consistent.

Bernard makes plays all over the field, lines up in the slot, and averaged over 9yds per catch (Miller 6.5) on 56 receptions. Did you see the TD he scored on us halloween night? He moves the chains better too...Gio had 53 first downs to Miller's 32. And he scores touchdowns...8 to be exact, compared to Miller's 2. Though to be fair they both had morons for OCs, so hopefully better ball is ahead of them.

It isn't a double standard if you are making your opinion based on the actual plays and NOT just the stats.

I didn't watch all of the bengals games, but I saw at least 6 of them, and that guy ran hard and did not appear to be contact shy.

Maybe Lamar will do better this year. I can't help but think that we probably should have kept the RB from Notre Dame last year

yeah, if you actually watched the two play, Bernard can actually make plays on his own. don't forget, they also had the law firm to help punch the ball in for td's. Miller made most of his long runs, from holes so big, you can taxi a plane through it.

my granny could break a tackle before Miller could. Below average RB. he runs fast.... but then so does clyde gates

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

also Gio is about 3 times the rb Miller is... and he was a rookie

Nothing more than a #3 change of pace back.. he was drafted in the 4th for a reason..

I think Miller's problem is out of 177 carries 129 carries were for 3 yards or less
Hopefully if the offensive line improves so will Miller's consistancy

Bernard had 170 rushes with 90 rushes of 3 yards or less. Miller had 39 rushes more than Bernard with
3 yards or less rushing plays .Miller was more feast and famine(inconsistent)

Thomas had 109 rushing attempts with 65 rushes of 3 yards or less

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=&year_max=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=1&quarter=2&quarter=3&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=15&seconds=00&down=0&down=1&down=2&down=3&down=4&ytg_gtlt=gt&yds_to_go=&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&fp_gtlt=gt&fp_tm_opp=team&fp_ydline=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=&margin_min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards&rusher_id=MillLa01

Last edited by a moderator:
with good blocking he could be something special, but he have to break more tackles.

They didn't bring Moreno here to get beat out, Moreno's value in the block part of the game is invaluable,also picking up blitzes, IMHO I think that Thomas is history.

Man I am done with Miller, I have seen enough from him. I am also a UM fan, so I've seen him for awhile and he is just someone with speed. He cannot break tackles at all. Miller goes down as soon as someone touches him, he does not have the vision that you would love from a RB, and he is not as quick as I thought he was. Miller is not a back that can create runs, everything has to be wide open for him to get yards.

Back
Top Bottom