Don't reach on QB this year - draft Russel Wilson | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't reach on QB this year - draft Russel Wilson

I love Wilson's release though. Ball comes out at the same height as every other tall QB.

Wilson will be great, in the CFL. the WCO is all timing based but you have to get up over the line. There are no QBs that short. If that's how you want to go then you may as well take Kellen Moore, who has better size and more success.

LOL.

funny to read this post again.

I am happy with Tannehill, but tell me Wilson is not the real deal.

Without the physical tools it is hard to stay in this league. Flutie is a name that comes to mind. Wilson did look great last year. I will wait to pass judgement on him until after the next couple of years. Only because of his size. He has amazin talent no question.

Without the physical tools it is hard to stay in this league. Flutie is a name that comes to mind. Wilson did look great last year. I will wait to pass judgement on him until after the next couple of years. Only because of his size. He has amazin talent no question.

Besides height what physical tools is Wilson lacking? The dude is a baller, end of story. Oh and Seattle has set him up nicely to succeed.

Russell Wilson to my eyes was clearly the best rookie quarterback in 2012. It's all about how you finish. He finished. Luck and Griffin couldn't.

Russell Wilson to my eyes was clearly the best rookie quarterback in 2012. It's all about how you finish. He finished. Luck and Griffin couldn't.

I still liked what I saw out of Luck better last season, but Wilson was always one of those guys who impressed me in college. If he could throw behind that Wisconsin line he can throw behind an NFL line. Long term I think Wilson is going to be in the Tannehill tier (that's Tanny rising, not Wilson falling), playing second fiddle to Luck. I have reservations about RGIII having a long career unfortunately, he's a hard one to peg long term.

For much of last year I would have agreed. But the way Russell Wilson finished the regular season and the playoffs told me this player isn't just some flash in the pan. He's going to end up one of the league's elite passers.

He already was. That's what is so stupefying. In the playoffs this year, there was virtually no difference between facing Russell Wilson and facing one of those elite guys. If you're a defense, the way Russell Wilson comes on you like a freight train once he gets in rhythm, was just as scary as facing one of those guys.

The test to REALLY be an elite guy is not to just flash for a few games though. Or not even a whole season. It's to keep that up over time. But from what I already knew about him coming out, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's shown me what I need to see in order to think...he will.

Agreed. The kid was a beast.

Luck played out his damn mind against us, he was spectacular. But he also struggled in a few other games. Griffin played great in an offense perfectly designed to help him succeed... short term. I have a hard time being objective because I can't separate the brilliance of it from the utter stupidity of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. The kid was a beast.

Luck played out his damn mind against us, he was spectacular. But he also struggled in a few other games. Griffin played great in an offense perfectly designed to help him succeed... short term. I have a hard time being objective because I can't separate the brilliance of it from the utter stupidity of it.

The Redskins this year were the model for how you can tailor an offense to fit a quarterback with special skills. Griffin was brilliant in that offense when healthy. But he also did the same thing he did in college...took hits, and got hurt. He couldn't finish the season because of that.

Wilson played outstanding as a rookie, but the reality is that he was asked to do the least with the most around him in relation to the rest of the rookie QB class. He only attempted 393 passes, which tied Robert Griffin for the least passing attempts among the rookie class of QB's. Seattle ran the football 55% of the time which led the league. This is just a really good football team, and Wilson was a great fit.

If you look at a guy like Weeden for example, who was playing on a terrible Cleveland team, he was literally asked to carry that poor team from day 1. He attempted 35 passes in week 1.... 37 in week 2.... 43 in week 3.... 52 in week 4.... 35 in week 5.... etc. Not to mention, his receivers were terrible. Particularly Greg Little, who's drop percentage was tops in the league. Exactly half his schedule was against playoff teams, including the Super Bowl champion Ravens twice (Ravens twice, Bengals twice, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, and Packers). Weeden's 517 attempts were 2nd only to Andrew Luck in the rookie class.

Speaking of Andrew Luck, he was undoubtably the best rookie quarterback in my opinion. I don't know if any quarterback carried their team more than Luck did.... and that includes Peyton Manning. He attempted 627 passes while throwing to two rookie TE's and two rookie receivers, and led a team to the playoffs that was bad enough to pick him with the #1 overall pick less than a year prior.

Tannehill and Weeden were about the same during their rookie seasons.

Wilson played outstanding as a rookie, but the reality is that he was asked to do the least with the most around him in relation to the rest of the rookie QB class. He only attempted 393 passes, which tied Robert Griffin for the least passing attempts among the rookie class of QB's. Seattle ran the football 55% of the time which led the league. This is just a really good football team, and Wilson was a great fit.

If you look at a guy like Weeden for example, who was playing on a terrible Cleveland team, he was literally asked to carry that poor team from day 1. He attempted 35 passes in week 1.... 37 in week 2.... 43 in week 3.... 52 in week 4.... 35 in week 5.... etc. Not to mention, his receivers were terrible. Particularly Greg Little, who's drop percentage was tops in the league. Exactly half his schedule was against playoff teams, including the Super Bowl champion Ravens twice (Ravens twice, Bengals twice, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, and Packers). Weeden's 517 attempts were 2nd only to Andrew Luck in the rookie class.

Speaking of Andrew Luck, he was undoubtably the best rookie quarterback in my opinion. I don't know if any quarterback carried their team more than Luck did.... and that includes Peyton Manning. He attempted 627 passes while throwing to two rookie TE's and two rookie receivers, and led a team to the playoffs that was bad enough to pick him with the #1 overall pick less than a year prior.

Your last statement was pretty true although I like Tannehill more. To me there were 3 qb's that played fairly elite for rookies and Griffin, Luck and Wilson were the guys.
Outside of Weeden I like all 4. To me you are a bad team u dont invest that high a pick on a guy a few years younger than Garrard. As for Wilson, his height is what have most people still on fence and being of color probably gets him more critique than some.

The numbers don't reflect that Seattle ran the ball an awful lot and protected Wilson early on but by the end of the year Wilson was unstoppable. About Weeden and Tannehill, I don't see how they were the same. So Cleveland's defense stank. Meanwhile, we had Colombo at RT and Hartline as our #1 WR, with a running game led by Reggie Bush. Hardly stellar.

The numbers don't reflect that Seattle ran the ball an awful lot and protected Wilson early on but by the end of the year Wilson was unstoppable. About Weeden and Tannehill, I don't see how they were the same. So Cleveland's defense stank. Meanwhile, we had Colombo at RT and Hartline as our #1 WR, with a running game led by Reggie Bush. Hardly stellar.

Am I confused or are u a year behind with Columbo. Hell I did it yesterday saying Smith was a left hander

Colombo was our right tackle in 2011, the Henne/Matt Moore year. Martin started for us at right tackle last season.

No idea what you're talking about in terms of Colombo, which has already been brought to your attention. Furthermore, the numbers do reflect that Seattle ran the ball a lot. In fact, the numbers just flat out prove it. They are what they are. Seattle ran the football a larger percentage of the time than any other offense in the league. The Seahawks fit Russell Wilson into an offense.... they already knew what they were going to do and had an identity whether it was Matt Flynn or Russell Wilson..... as opposed to some of these other rookie quarterbacks. Seattle was already a .500 team before they drafted Wilson for all intents and purposes. Seattle's 7-9 record in 2011 doesn't reflect how good of a football team they actually were.

Weeden was drafted by a dumpster fire organization with no identity on offense or defense, and no real plan as to what they were going to do. He wasn't plugged in to an offensive philosophy. They just instructed him to go out there for the first month of the season and throw the ball 50 times a game to receivers who can't catch starting from day 1.... and doing it against one of the hardest schedules in the league. That's a lot to ask of a rookie quarterback with no weapons on a bad football team with a lame duck coaching staff. I can guarantee you Russell Wilson nor Robert Griffin would fare very well in that situation. Wilson and Griffin only attempted 393 passes, which is substantially lower than the rest of the rookie QB class.

Tannehill already had familiarity with Mike Sherman's offense. He was at least comfortable with his coach, his terminology, route concepts and protections. Tannehill ended up completing 58.3% of his passes, for 3,294 yards, and a 12/13 touchdown to INT ratio... with a QB rating of 76.1.

Weeden completed 57.4% of his passes while throwing to a stonehanded receiver in Greg Little, who's drop percentage led the league. Tallied 3,385 yards, with a 14/17 touchdown to INT ratio, and didn't even play in the last game of the season.... ended up with a 72.6 QB rating.

Four of Weeden's 17 INT's came in his first career start on a day where he was asked to drop back and wing it 35 times. He threw 14 TD's and 13 INT's over the next 14 games until he sat out the last week of the season.

That's about as close as two rookie quarterbacks can play. Not to mention, Ryan Tannehill had the best left tackle in history for pete's sake.

Back
Top Bottom