Dr. Z: Dan Marino Draft memories | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dr. Z: Dan Marino Draft memories

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=draftmemories&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns
SI.com: Any good picks you remember being wrong about?

Dr. Z: Dan Marino. I relied very heavily on NFL superscouts in those days, particularly when it involved the QB position. The reviews on Marino were mixed, but the guy I talked to most often (No, I won't name him ... why flog a retired scout?) was the most negative. So in my ESPN analysis I used his opinion as my own and mentioned that "Marino's techniques are wrong ... he pushes the ball."

The result was that Marino didn't talk to me for five years or so, and every time I saw Don Shula he went bonkers. "A pusher, huh? A pusher! What do you think of my pusher now? Big quarterback expert, huh?" and on and on. I mean, this lasted for years.

Finally, the next time he did it I wrapped a handkerchief around a pencil and waved it in the air. Surrender ... I surrender. So he eased off, but he'd still occasionally mutter something about "these experts ..."

I rememebr having to work that day back in 83 and was upset that I was gonna miss the whole first round or maybe more.The QB I wanted was Kelly of my canes and then Marino was my 2nd choice. I did NOT want Elway cos he didn't win all that much in college and was crying aboput not wanting to go to the colts so I didn't like him very much. When I got home the whole 1st round was over and I couldn't believe that we got Dan. I thought for sure he'd be gone a lot earlier than that.Then we got Mick Charles after that and a guy name Benson who never did anything. We also got Roby and I believe we also got Clayton that year in round 8 or 9. That was a good draft for us of course.

Ozzy rules!!

It seems Shula had a pretty good memory, and definitely held grudges. I remember reading an article in SI, back from the 93 issue I believe, when he got Sportsman of the Year. Cant remember who the reporter was, but Shula gave him a hard time everytime he saw him for some typo(or of the sort) he wrote in an article about Marino/Shula. Great guy, I wish I paid more attention to the Fins during the golden years.

I know Shula has never forgotten the "Snow Plow" incident/game :(

Back
Top Bottom