Draft a QB, Pick up a Castoff or possibly both? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft a QB, Pick up a Castoff or possibly both?

Greer17

Club Member
Reaction score
Looking at our QB situation moving forward, I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on the backup position. I am not for giving up on Tua so let's keep the focus on his back up. Should we resign Fitz or move on? The other options are really drafting a late round QB and coaching him up or we could look at picking up another teams cast off. Those options could be someone like Trubisky, Dalton, Beathard or possibly another backup from another team.

Dalton would be a great option. But will he settle for a backup role again?

If Fitzpatrick retires, or wants a chance to start elsewhere, I think Dalton would be perfect.

Tyrod Taylor, if available, would be someone I'd consider.

Trubisky is interesting, but I'd be surprised if he wants a backup role. He could view Miami as a good opportunity, kind of like Tannehill in Tennessee.

I would explore drafting a middle round quarterback to develop.

I would not draft a QB as we have many other holes that need to be filled with early picks, if we can sign someone it would be ideal.

The back up slot, is going to be a difficult position to fill. Big decision ahead. Fitz was a great influence, but I'm not convinced I want any QB we have to be a Fitz mk 2, that's my concern with having him around too long, his answer to pretty much every situation is to just throw it up there. Someone Tua can lean upon for advice would be nice, but isn't that the QB coach's job ? That's why I'm probably leaning towards a young development guy.

Looking at our QB situation moving forward, I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on the backup position. I am not for giving up on Tua so let's keep the focus on his back up. Should we resign Fitz or move on? The other options are really drafting a late round QB and coaching him up or we could look at picking up another teams cast off. Those options could be someone like Trubisky, Dalton, Beathard or possibly another backup from another team.

No to drafting a high round QB. I don't like "castoff," so I'll say sign a 'vet'. Fitz is preferable depending on the OC. If not, someone who's had at least moderate success AND a history of mentoring younger QBs.

If Fitzpatrick retires, or wants a chance to start elsewhere, I think Dalton would be perfect.

Tyrod Taylor, if available, would be someone I'd consider.

Trubisky is interesting, but I'd be surprised if he wants a backup role. He could view Miami as a good opportunity, kind of like Tannehill in Tennessee.

I would explore drafting a middle round quarterback to develop.

Its almost like I'm rereading ESPN or was it NFL.com?

NVM, found the article.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...-critical-must-for-dolphins-this-offseason/4/

Last edited:
I'm curious in Gardner Minshew as a backup. He reminds me of a young Fitzpatrick. If he's ok with taking a backup role to Tua, and the price is cheap, I would be interested. Seeing that he was healthy dnp most of the season and the Jags are set to draft Lawrence, I would think Minshew could be had cheap.

I'm curious in Gardner Minshew as a backup. He reminds me of a young Fitzpatrick. If he's ok with taking a backup role to Tua, and the price is cheap, I would be interested. Seeing that he was healthy dnp most of the season and the Jags are set to draft Lawrence, I would think Minshew could be had cheap.
I think he is just on the second year of his rookie contract. I don't see them cutting him since he is cheap to them and would push a rookie QB.

I think he is just on the second year of his rookie contract. I don't see them cutting him since he is cheap to them and would push a rookie QB.
Seeing that he's been behind Luton and Glennon on the depth chart, I don't get the feeling the Jags are that sold on him going forward. If they don't cut him the wouldlikely trade him for a future 6th or 7th round pick. Maybe even trade him for Jakeem Grant or someone deep on the depth chart in Miami.

Everybody just throws talent on the garbage dump. Bring in a great QB coach #1. **** Godsey. Go get Jameous Winston and coach him up.

I doubt Flo wants a 2nd year starter and 2nd year backup

Back
Top Bottom