Draft Day Blues | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Day Blues

clajoie_7

Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone else out there feel like we didn't have as successful of a draft as other teams? I don't want to sound cynical as we did get Poole who is a steal and Carey which could be an all pro, but we hardly had any picks to create more depth at key positions. Great we got a couple of guys who may have success on Special teams (which is very important especially to all of you Buffalo fans ie MOTOR CITY MIRACLE) :roflmao: However I was hoping for a little more.
So why didn't we get a chance to trade Wally since he's probably not going to sign with us? Could have moved up. Instead we move down and both of the other OL we picked up are rated really low. Not to bring up the enemy but Buffalo did make the move to get their man in Loseman (who I personally wanted) and other teams made major moves to get their men. We switched with Minn, who had no intension of selecting Carey and we got duked by NE who threw it out there they they were going to scoop him up.
I guess the jury is still out since we never made an attempt to find a slot receiver and got what appears to be two starters and four back-ups...

clajoie_7 said:
Not to bring up the enemy but Buffalo did make the move to get their man in Loseman ...
:shakeno: You're telling me you would have been happy if we gave up all of those picks to get a guy who has a very STRONG possibility of being a bust. C'mon that deal is going to seal Buffalo's fate for years to come

No but I would have given up Wally for a first rounder and gotten him. Loseman will not be a bust and for all intensive purposes Buffalo is looking to vastly improve when he takes the helm. Look at the mobility/arm strength/and now something to prove. Even Kiper made the statement that if he didn't play for such a poor team that his stock would be just as high as the big three. I'm only saying this because we asked for too much for Wally and now cornered ourselves to the point where if he signs a one year agreement we lose him hands down next year. No franchise qb in sight and no slot receiver. OL suspect and lack of depth in all positions exept db. How can you discredit moving up to at least get quality talent?

PhillyDolfan said:
:shakeno: You're telling me you would have been happy if we gave up all of those picks to get a guy who has a very STRONG possibility of being a bust. C'mon that deal is going to seal Buffalo's fate for years to come

I'm not convince Losman will be a burst, I think he had a poor Senior bowl in which Rivers shine..but the kid was all world in college, he'll have some time to groom behind Drew B. and could turn out to be a Franhise type QB for them. He definetly has a good arm..and mobile..just needs a little time. I'm glad we've picked up some CB's for the future, we'll probably need them when he gets insync with the NFL. Just MHO.

I have no doubt that Losman has the talent necessary to thrive in the NFL..BUT that doesn't always translate into success (i.e Ryan Leaf). I'm just as skeptical as the next guy in regards to our QB situation but I think A.J. has the oppurtunity to be a very good quarterback here with the talent with have put around him. So I think we may have a franchise quarterback we just have to give him a chance. Also, we have a couple of young hungry recievers who may pan out as well.
I agree with you in regards to trading up for the right player BUT in our situation the only player worth mortgaging the future for was Gallery (IMO) and the price to grab him would have been too much. I feel Rick did an admirable job in the draft considering what he had to work with

Everyone uses Ryan Leaf as the scapegoat for not making the leap to grab at a qb who may have some attitude problems. However there are more Heath Shulers, Mark Malones, Cade McNown, and Akili Smiths out there who cannot make it because they lack in smarts but go higher in the draft because they are considered good guys. None of those guys have the fire and Drive that Loseman have and he is definitely NO Ryan Leaf as far as attitude wise. This guy comes to play where as Leaf came to pick up a pay check.
Gallery by far was not our only option if we drafted up. DT would be a big help and even inside LB. This team has lots of holes to fill! I would like to have a superstar qb who can win us games and not one who won't necessary lose us games. There is a difference...

Do you believe DT or LB or even QB for that matter are bigger holes at this point than OL?????? I would have loved to move OGUN if the right offer came along but it didn't and i believe he will resign and we will be a better team for it. As far as Loseman goes...who knows maybe he will pan out but he is a high risk, high reward type of player and i hope for our sake... he flops bigtime

clajoie_7 said:
Does anyone else out there feel like we didn't have as successful of a draft as other teams? I don't want to sound cynical as we did get Poole who is a steal and Carey which could be an all pro, but we hardly had any picks to create more depth at key positions. Great we got a couple of guys who may have success on Special teams (which is very important especially to all of you Buffalo fans ie MOTOR CITY MIRACLE) :roflmao: However I was hoping for a little more.
So why didn't we get a chance to trade Wally since he's probably not going to sign with us? Could have moved up. Instead we move down and both of the other OL we picked up are rated really low. Not to bring up the enemy but Buffalo did make the move to get their man in Loseman (who I personally wanted) and other teams made major moves to get their men. We switched with Minn, who had no intension of selecting Carey and we got duked by NE who threw it out there they they were going to scoop him up.
I guess the jury is still out since we never made an attempt to find a slot receiver and got what appears to be two starters and four back-ups...

The only people who believe Wally probably won't sign a long-term deal with Miami are people who spend too much time believing Rosenhaus or PFT. The most likely scenario is and has always been that Wally re-signs.

IMO Losman is the most likely bust of all the 1st round picks. This doesn't mean he will bust, just that he has the greatest bust potential. My guess is that he may eventually put it together, but it will probably take at least four years (after his rookie contract is up). And Buff will lose him in FA or be forced to pay him big after paying him 1st round money to sit on the bench (or play badly) for 4 years. If he never puts it together then Buff wasted about three high picks.

As for the draft, the Dolphins picked up Bua and Pape (in addition to Carey and Poole) who have a chance to develop into starters. If we get 3 starters out of any draft it has to be considered a huge success. If you also consider that this draft has already produced starters in Wade Smith and David Boston then the probability that this draft will be considered a success is pretty high.

As for the slot WR position, we did address it by bringing in Minnis and Wilkins. In addition to having Thompson, Tolver and Simmons (among others) as potential slot wrs.

clajoie_7 said:
No but I would have given up Wally for a first rounder and gotten him. Loseman will not be a bust and for all intensive purposes Buffalo is looking to vastly improve when he takes the helm. Look at the mobility/arm strength/and now something to prove. Even Kiper made the statement that if he didn't play for such a poor team that his stock would be just as high as the big three. I'm only saying this because we asked for too much for Wally and now cornered ourselves to the point where if he signs a one year agreement we lose him hands down next year. No franchise qb in sight and no slot receiver. OL suspect and lack of depth in all positions exept db. How can you discredit moving up to at least get quality talent?

Hey dude, Miami's draft went wayyy over your head. Redeem yourself by reading up on these guys and get back to us. Don't fret, because you are not alone...there are a few more fans like you who haven't got a clue why we did this or that.
Like I said, read up on the guys we got and think for a sec if we didn't make a justified attempt at getting true football players instead of training camp fodder.

1st round- Vernon Carey
2nd round- Wade Smith (last year)
3rd round- traded for a four and five (X picks)
4th round- traded to move up for Carey
4th round X- Will Poole
5th round X- Anthony Bua
5th round- Junior Seau (last year)
6th round- Rex Hadnot
7th round- Tony Pape
7th round- Derrick Pope

This is how the draft should be looked at. These are the players we gained with our picks allotted to us. It looks pretty good to me. We have a couple of starting tackles, a starting LB, a dime corner, and a lot of special teams help. Excellent job by Rick and the FO.

I'd grade our draft at about a C. Our draft is better than some people think. It's just that we didn't get any big name players for the most part. But thats because there were none available at the positions that we needed to fill.

Finsyndrome said:
I'd grade our draft at about a C. Our draft is better than some people think. It's just that we didn't get any big name players for the most part. But thats because there were none available at the positions that we needed to fill.

So you grade drafts based on players that the media drool over?
:rolleyes:

Big name players? How about Vernon or Will? They were both first round rated talent by most media heads who had a clue.

You may have to dig a little deeper to unearth info on the other players, but when you do your research, you find that they are solid picks with good potential to make the team.
Definate B+ draft with the potential to be an A after a year or two.

With the picks we had, and the needs we had(personally i thought having 10 wr's on the roster before the draft kinda meant we didnt need a 3rd wr with a pick that wasnt a 1st rounder, likewise dt we already have bowens, chester and zgonina so why would picking wilfork be a good idea he'd get no playing time??) and pickin a 1st round rated cb in the 4th to have a dime back was a great pick, for now and the future. I think alot of people were expecting too much for what we had to pick with, and it seems like we did pretty damn good with what we had.

Superself said:
Hey dude, Miami's draft went wayyy over your head. Redeem yourself by reading up on these guys and get back to us. Don't fret, because you are not alone...there are a few more fans like you who haven't got a clue why we did this or that.
Like I said, read up on the guys we got and think for a sec if we didn't make a justified attempt at getting true football players instead of training camp fodder.

Get a grip smart guy I followed this draft very closely ever since the season ended. How do you justify some of the players we got? Just because a couple of articles have some nice things to say doesn't necessarily mean that they will be solid players. Talk about Bua being our new OLB instead of saftey at 212lbs? We did pick up role playing back-ups who will need to climb large hills to become starters or adequate at the next level. As for the line help do your own homework, most OL who are said to lack athletic ability usually cannot move their feet and are slow off the block. How successful do you expect them to be? I'm not ripping the whole draft I just liked some of the other moves teams made to create depth at positions through the draft not taking duct tape in the off season and patching up positions then grabbing people in the draft who are more or less projects than impact players. Or maybe this is just waaaayyy over my head and I need guys like you to explain it to me!

Back
Top Bottom