Draft Day Trade Scenarios/ Fixing the offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Day Trade Scenarios/ Fixing the offense

DMoney27

Rookie
Reaction score
As it looks now the NFL is headed for a lockout, and most likely an agreement will not be reached until after the draft. This would mean that any draft day trades will have to be completed with only using 2011 draft picks. IMO if the Dolphins cannot get Newton or Gabbert then the best thing for them to do is trying to trade down to acquire more picks. The teams that have multiple picks in the top 3 rounds are New England, Denver and San Diego. Realistically I don’t think New England is a trade partner, but I can see a trade with either Denver or San Diego as the Dolphins made trades with both teams last offseason.
Miami Picks
Rd. 1 - 15
Rd. 3 - 79
Denver Picks
Rd. 1 - 2
Rd. 2 - 36
Rd. 2 - 46
Rd. 3 - 67
San Diego Picks
Rd. 1 – 18
Rd. 2 – 50
Rd.2 – 61
Rd. 3 – 82
Rd. 3 – 89
What I would like to see is a trade with Denver. The Dolphins could give picks 15 and 79 for Denver’s 36, 46, and 67. (not sure is this works out with pick values, but seems fair) Players I would like to see the Dolphins get with these picks would be:
36 –RB Mike Leshoure or WRs Titus Young/ Torrey Smith/ Jonathan Baldwin
46 – QB Christian Ponder
67 – RB DeMarco Murray or WR Randall Cobb
These moves would take care of some issues on offense as it will be important to address as many needs as possible through the draft because of the uncertainty of free agency.
QBs
Henne/ Ponder/ veteran
The best thing to do is have a camp battle between all the QBs and let the best man win the job. However, Ponder will probably need time to grow so the likely scenario would be for the veteran QB and Henne to compete for the starting job. I think the best options for the Dolphins would be Vince Young or Alex Smith as they wouldn’t cost any future draft picks. Getting Kolb or Orton would cost future picks, plus they each only have one year left on their contracts so if not resigned they could walk at the end of the season anyway which would be a waste.
RBs
Ronnie/ Ricky/ FA
Leshoure/ Murray
Hilliard
Sheets
I will be comfortable with the RBs as long as there is some insurance to a rookie handling the load whether it be Ronnie, Ricky or a FA. I see Hilliard and Sheets as special teams and situational backs, but it wouldn’t surprise me if one of these guys can take the next step and be more involved in the run game.
WRs
I think this unit will be set with the addition of a speedster to stretch the field. Someone who can lineup opposite of Marshall and allow Hartline to play a role kind of like Jordy Nelson from Green Bay.
TEs
I think the team spends a mid round draft pick to fill this need rather than through free agency. Players like Lance Kendricks or D.J. Williams could make it to the fourth round.
O-Line
I think this is where the team spends the free agent dollars as there are solid veterans that can shore up the line in a hurry.

I like it. Mike Leshoure is a nice big back to replace Ronnie Brown, then you have one of my favorites in DeMarco Murray adding the big-play potential on offense and special teams. I'm not as high on Christian Ponder as others are simply because I doubt he can hold up physically in the NFL. That said, if healthy, he is a guy that won't make mistakes so if you put playmakers around him it could be a good fit. I'm also very high on Titus Young who I see you mention in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom