Draft Day. What would YOU do? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Day. What would YOU do?

Mitchy71

Saskatchewan PhinFan
Reaction score
I am now getting quite bamboozled by the future of our team. Originally, I wanted us to trade down and pick up Barron. Now I am seeing the depth in the draft of Running Backs. And some really good QB prospects too. Now here is the Dolphins debate.
1) We really need help at every position. What one position do we need help most at? I would say the only position we don't need serious help at is at Wide Reciever. Other then that, everything is up for grabs. Taylor needs help at the other end, our secondary, and D-line are suspect. Our O-line is a turd. Our Linebacking core needs some help. Seau and Thomas aren't getting any younger. And the plight of our QB, RB situation is well known. I was going to say that our FB seems solid, but now Konrad will be traded for a bag of chips in the 6th round. What holes do we fill with 6 picks?

2) The Running back situation is intense. Last week, I would have said Bentsen is the best. Now Brown is jumping to the forefront. I really don't think that a poor 40 should hurt someones stock. It's called football, not a track meet. Look at Boldin for the Cardinals, he fell out of the first round with a poor combine, with the scouts seemingly disregarding his college carreer. He has great speed but had a crappy day. What a steal the Card's got. But Brown had a greta day. 4.31? Thats incredible. Including his NCAA highlight reel this kid is the real deal. Now who is the number one RB?

3) Even QB's are looking good. Rodgers is bigger then most people thought. He has a stellar arm and is accurate. His speed isn't bad for a QB either. He could be the most complete QB drafted in years. Now Matt Jones ran a 4.41? That is receiver territory numbers. Wouldn't you want him to have the ball in short yard 3rd down situations. He ran faster then Vick!

4) Derrick Johnson weighed more then people thought. His stock has shot up greatly. He should really be a top 10 pick. And he has the rare potential to be a starter on ANY football team in the league. How many rookies can say that? A great LB prospect.

What I am getting at is that is their is no one person the Phins should draft. And I am sure glad I am not making that choice. We only see numbers and tapes of these players. And a lot of us have seen them play live. How many of us have interviewed them, talked to them, actually seen them strut their stuff close up? Watched practice's etc? I am sure maybe a couple of us, not many. That is a job for our coaching and scouting staff. We don't see this team like Sabin does. If we did, we would be NFL coaches. I know he is a rookie in the League as well, but we are sure going to have to trust him with this draft and FA period. This next two months will be how he is evaluated until actual football season.

Basically, whatever we talk about/want is useless. For a football team with a history of the dolphins magnitude he is under the gun. You think Fiedler has shoes to fill in Dan the Man? Try following Shula. Johnson couldn't, Wanny couldn't, and now Sabin has to try. Here are some things Don did.
  • Coached only undefeated team in NFL history - 1972 Miami Dolphins
  • Lead his teams to more wins than any other coach in the history of the NFL
  • Appeared in more Super Bowls than any other coach
  • Unanimous election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • Youngest head coach in the history of the NFL
  • 4-time Coach of Year
  • Shula's teams reached the playoffs 20 times in 33 seasons
  • Took six teams to the Super Bowl
  • Won 4 Super Bowls - twice with Baltimore (1964,68) and twice with Miami (1970-71)
  • Served from 1975 through 1995 on the league's influential Competition Committee
(Link http://www.hitrunscore.com/don-shula-biography.html)

I am sure glad I am not making the choice on draft say and so should everyone. A true fan anyways. We can bang our heads against each others and call each of us an idiot for suggesting something. And even if some of those are ludicrous, any idea is up for grabs. Even though we feel our team is only a couple years away from contention, they did stink it up pretty bad last year. Lets just sit and watch what our new coach wants to make happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
First up Boldin fell due to off field issues as much as the combine, i'm pretty sure Vick didn't run at the combine and the linebacker your refering to is named Derrick Johnson.

To answer your question as it looks unlikely we'll be able to trade down i'm looking at Benson or Brown i like Browns hands out of the backfield but am a little concerned about past injuries so i'd maybe lean on Benson as a safer pick not saying its what Saban will do just my humble opinion

Definitley leaning towards Brown.

If we stay at the #2 pick, I'd see us taking Brown, however Edwards or Rodgers (assuming SF doesn't take him) would not shock me at all.

hah matt jones isn't running as a QB... and his time is still not faster than vicks, derrick johnson is the amazing LB out of texas, not rogers...

also id still take benson over brown... and if i had my choice id do whatever icould to trade down and get derrick johnson, a playmaker on defense is just as important as on offense...

My choice would be (asuming a trade down is unlikely):

1) one of the QBs,
2)Brown, or
3)DE

i think we should trade down at least twice and pick up a couple of 2nd rounders in the process. too many people are caught up in "mega deal value chart trades". i just don't see a team willing to give up this years 1st and 2nd and next years 1st to move up, however there are probably a couple of teams that would give up a 2nd to move up 3 to 5 places to get their player. this is a far more reasonable expectation, for those who say that isn't enough why don't you put the fins in the others teams place and see if you want to give up that much to trade up for whoever. the bottom line is are we going to be a better team because we keep the 2 pick cause nobody would give up the "mega deal" or will we be better with a pick around 10-12 and two early 2nd rounders. i would also like to see saban aquire some 2nd day picks in this draft by trading down in the 4th and 5th and trades for konrad and zgonina. i think the advantage saban would have over most coaches the next two years will be with "no-name" type players and be able to get some hidden gems.

I know what you mean!! everyday i come up with a different scenario as far as what to do. My problem is that I like both of the Auburn boys (good receivers, greta character guys etc.) But I also like Benson a lot. And either of the 2 QB's would also be OK with me. So, like I said, every day..I want (and see us) drafting a different player. One thing, though, I have faith in Saban so I believe he will do the best for our team.

It depends on your opinion of what you think miamis gonna do next season. RIGHT NOW player, obviously you get a running back. If your thinking wait a year or so for this #2 pick to turn the fish back into an elite team. I'd consider Alex Smith.

The first thing I'd do is take the day off from work.Then after we make our first choice I'm gonna have sone fun with all the threads about how we took the right guy and how we took the wrong guy. I can't wait to see all the fights on here.I'm predicting at least one thread with more than 1000 posts in it.

Ozzy rules!!

If I was running the show, I'd have brought in Lamont Jordan then draft Mike Williams with the 2.

we will probibly take brown and should really but i would love to see derrick Johnson starting for miami next year

If you can't trade down there are really only 2 positions that are worth paying #2 pick money to: RB and QB. We are in basically the same situation at both positions; players that were low on other people's depth charts(Feeley, Lamar Gordon, and Sammy Morris) that had a subpar year last year, but we're not sure if it was them or the poor line and complementary positions that caused the problems.
Now, since:
It's a deeper draft for rb, meaning you're more likely to pick up a good one in the later rounds, and
You have 2 chances of a current player stepping up at rb as opposed to qb, and
Sammy Morris did average over 4 yards/carry behind a horrible line, and
From a future standpoint, a franchise qb is probably worth more than a franchise rb and you're more likely to get a successful rb in FA or trade than a qb

So i say draft the top qb available if you can't trade down. Every pick is a risk, but the potential benefits at qb outweigh those at rb, with more backup potential at rb. If Feeley tanks this year, you've got nothing.

Back
Top Bottom